The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matrix123
Well we don't know that :erm: but tbh I find the idea of it quite funny :lol: which may be a good thing but maybe bad :dontknow: but laughter is better than tears I guess...thanks :hugs:

We will soon
Happy tears from me anyway :wink:
I need some advice.:frown:
I didn't want to put this on TSR because it's a bit intense and it's not really my information to share, but I just need help now.

Basically, last night I asked my frenemy, Chris, why he didn't care when I was sad and telling him about cancer a few days ago. Because basically, everyone on my mum's side of the family has had some sort of run in or close shave with cancer. My nan died of bowel cancer. My auntie has breast cancer and is going through chemotherapy for it right now, and she's having both breasts off soon. She has also had skin cancer (has a hole in her face where it was taken out) and endometrial cancer. Also she's being tested for Lynch Syndrome. My cousin had endometrial cancer and had her ovaries taken out. My mum's not had any cancer but she's had her ovaries out in case. Now my auntie is having this extremely complicated test that will determine if she has this gene for cancer in the family, or something. She gets the results back in four months.
So, now that's all out of the way, I told Chris all that and I told him how bad I felt about it all, especially for my auntie because she's a really nice lady, gentle, and I can't believe all the bad luck she's having.
And Chris said "Oh how terrible for her" which I thought sounded a bit sarcastic? I didn't say comment on that anyway...
And then... apparently this is what he had a problem with... I started saying how worried *I* was about getting cancer, because it seems to run in my family and all these tests going on were giving me the heebiejeebies, and if my auntie is proven to have this gene then it REALLY does not look good for me (or my sister for that matter - my sister actually already has a problem with her ovaries anyway:indiff:) and I'm terrified of getting cancer and going through all that my auntie and everyone has - my breasts taken, my ovaries, the chemotherapy and losing my hair...:frown:

So Chris said last night that he ignored me because apparently I was making it "all about me" and that I'm "more concerned for myself than my mum or auntie" because while I'm worrying that I might have cancer in the future, my auntie does actually have cancer etc. I find this ridiculous as I thought I had made it clear how bad and worried I felt for my mum and my auntie (my mum's best friend is her auntie, they are very close), and also ridiculous because, in his opinion, I'm not allowed to worry about myself getting cancer? Apparently that's just completely selfish and how dare I worry about my risk and about going through chemotherapy and operations to have my breasts and ovaries off which so many in family have had to suffer!

Oh and this is all coming from the guy who only ever talks about himself and will only talk to me if I talk about him and his life, he never ever asks how I am or if I have any news like I constantly do to him.

Am I in the wrong, TSR?
:rant:
I am really pissed off because I adore Chris and he finds fault with EVERYTHING about me.:frown:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
We will soon
Happy tears from me anyway :wink:

Yup! 19 hours and 8 minutes :ahee: (as long as it's not delayed :colonhash:)
Aww! :h:
Yup! 19 hours and 8 minutes :ahee: (as long as it's not delayed :colonhash:)
Aww! :h:

:rofl: yeah!
XD
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:rofl: yeah!
XD

Haha anyway, I'm going to abandon this thread and Last Post Wins and focus on your Chill thread :wink:
Haha anyway, I'm going to abandon this thread and Last Post Wins and focus on your Chill thread :wink:

u bae :heart:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I need some advice.:frown:
I didn't want to put this on TSR because it's a bit intense and it's not really my information to share, but I just need help now.

Basically, last night I asked my frenemy, Chris, why he didn't care when I was sad and telling him about cancer a few days ago. Because basically, everyone on my mum's side of the family has had some sort of run in or close shave with cancer. My nan died of bowel cancer. My auntie has breast cancer and is going through chemotherapy for it right now, and she's having both breasts off soon. She has also had skin cancer (has a hole in her face where it was taken out) and endometrial cancer. Also she's being tested for Lynch Syndrome. My cousin had endometrial cancer and had her ovaries taken out. My mum's not had any cancer but she's had her ovaries out in case. Now my auntie is having this extremely complicated test that will determine if she has this gene for cancer in the family, or something. She gets the results back in four months.
So, now that's all out of the way, I told Chris all that and I told him how bad I felt about it all, especially for my auntie because she's a really nice lady, gentle, and I can't believe all the bad luck she's having.
And Chris said "Oh how terrible for her" which I thought sounded a bit sarcastic? I didn't say comment on that anyway...
And then... apparently this is what he had a problem with... I started saying how worried *I* was about getting cancer, because it seems to run in my family and all these tests going on were giving me the heebiejeebies, and if my auntie is proven to have this gene then it REALLY does not look good for me (or my sister for that matter - my sister actually already has a problem with her ovaries anyway:indiff:) and I'm terrified of getting cancer and going through all that my auntie and everyone has - my breasts taken, my ovaries, the chemotherapy and losing my hair...:frown:

So Chris said last night that he ignored me because apparently I was making it "all about me" and that I'm "more concerned for myself than my mum or auntie" because while I'm worrying that I might have cancer in the future, my auntie does actually have cancer etc. I find this ridiculous as I thought I had made it clear how bad and worried I felt for my mum and my auntie (my mum's best friend is her auntie, they are very close), and also ridiculous because, in his opinion, I'm not allowed to worry about myself getting cancer? Apparently that's just completely selfish and how dare I worry about my risk and about going through chemotherapy and operations to have my breasts and ovaries off which so many in family have had to suffer!

Oh and this is all coming from the guy who only ever talks about himself and will only talk to me if I talk about him and his life, he never ever asks how I am or if I have any news like I constantly do to him.

Am I in the wrong, TSR?
:rant:
I am really pissed off because I adore Chris and he finds fault with EVERYTHING about me.:frown:

You say you adore him but he often ignores you or does things that make you feel anxious :erm:

Like you said, you're not making it all about you and it's okay for you to be worried about it and for your relatives at the same time.
Feel good, just did 2 streetdance sessions, bowling, badminton, met the grandparents and how chilling in HK on TSr :007:
Original post by SeanFM
You say you adore him but he often ignores you or does things that make you feel anxious :erm:

Like you said, you're not making it all about you and it's okay for you to be worried about it and for your relatives at the same time.

When he's not being awful, I really really like him.:sad:

That's what I thought but apparently it's not okay for me to be worried about my risk.:dontknow:

Original post by SeanFM

littlenorthernlass
x

Really really sorry to hear about all this, sounds like a really scary thing for your aunt and your family to be going through. I have a similar thing on my Dad's side. Dad was diagnosed in 2013 with bowel and prostate cancer and his dad and his grandfather had prostate cancer. It isn't illogical or selfish to worry about both your aunt and indeed yourself. Sometimes I worry too that I may someday get it. Your worries are definitely justified and it sounds like Chris isn't being a very good person about it if I'm totally honest. :frown: I agree with Sean!

Hope you're OK :hugs:
Life has little obstacles along the way designed to **** you up where you could otherwise be ecstatic and make the best out of a rough situation. You can find the silver lining but it will be horribly tarnished and you won't have anything to polish it with. :rolleyes:
Original post by iEthan
Really really sorry to hear about all this, sounds like a really scary thing for your aunt and your family to be going through. I have a similar thing on my Dad's side. Dad was diagnosed in 2013 with bowel and prostate cancer and his dad and his grandfather had prostate cancer. It isn't illogical or selfish to worry about both your aunt and indeed yourself. Sometimes I worry too that I may someday get it. Your worries are definitely justified and it sounds like Chris isn't being a very good person about it if I'm totally honest. :frown: I agree with Sean!

Hope you're OK :hugs:

Thanks for that:hugs: I don't think it's a bad thing at all for a person to worry about their own risk:dontknow: I would have thought it's a natural reaction.
Tension level 10/10
Pressure 10/10
:frown::frown::frown:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great! Might have a couple of stories going in the paper that I helped reportand write up! I love this work experience even though it's so terrifying.
Shattered but satisfied.
Feeling happy. Today I went to the loch where me and my partner go star gazing in the winter. I've never seen it during the day so didn't really know what to expect. Holy moly it is beautiful there! :love: today as a perfect day tbh :h: IMG_20160824_142046-2.jpg
I feel like **** today.
Original post by mediaya
Tension level 10/10
Pressure 10/10
:frown::frown::frown:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console: :hugs:

Relax and look how cute this kitten is :h:

Original post by mr T 999
:console: :hugs:

Relax and look how cute this kitten is :h: