The Student Room Group

Strict Parents and Uniform

Hi!

Before I get to my problem I just want to say, PLEASE, do not stereotype me as another whiny girl with basic problems, thanks.

So, growing up I've had really strict parents; I wasn't allowed to have friends the opposite sex(they moved me to a girls school) and only to wear trousers as uniform. I'm 14 and turning 15 as of December. My parents are Muslim and won't allow me to wear a normal knee length skirt, my father thinks it's just 'inappropriate' to wear a normal skirt. It's not that I want to show off my legs, even though I'd wear opaque tights underneath, it's that I feel EXTREMELY self conscious and I feel like i look weird with over-sized trousers(being tall and skinny).

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

You are welcome
Original post by Fatimah L.
Hi!

Before I get to my problem I just want to say, PLEASE, do not stereotype me as another whiny girl with basic problems, thanks.

So, growing up I've had really strict parents; I wasn't allowed to have friends the opposite sex(they moved me to a girls school) and only to wear trousers as uniform. I'm 14 and turning 15 as of December. My parents are Muslim and won't allow me to wear a normal knee length skirt, my father thinks it's just 'inappropriate' to wear a normal skirt. It's not that I want to show off my legs, even though I'd wear opaque tights underneath, it's that I feel EXTREMELY self conscious and I feel like i look weird with over-sized trousers(being tall and skinny).

Thanks.

Muslim Female to another Muslim Female, school isn't a fashion show. Just get on with it.
Doesn't sound like you have much of a choice if your parents are muslim
Reply 4
Original post by yukiqueen
Muslim Female to another Muslim Female, school isn't a fashion show. Just get on with it.

Its kind of hard when you don't feel like you fit in. :/
Original post by D3LLI5
Doesn't sound like you have much of a choice if your parents are muslim

Until you're 18...

I'd say, to the OP, as hard as it may be, hang on in there until you're 18... then move out and get freedom! :yep:
Reply 6
Original post by spotify95
Until you're 18...

I'd say, to the OP, as hard as it may be, hang on in there until you're 18... then move out and get freedom! :yep:

Thats what I've been holding on to.
Original post by fatimah l.
thats what i've been holding on to.

allah is watching little girl
Small wonder it's difficult for many muslims to integrate when so many little details like this make people feel like outsiders.

If she's uncomfortable wearing trousers she shouldn't have to wear it.

Original post by Anonymous
allah is watching little girl

He's watching you too despite you being on anon.
OP maybe buy yourself a skirt and tights and wear them to school but then before you leave for home change into trousers?
U will burn in hell you sinner

Brown people like me don't burn in the sun sadly. However I will need suncream. Any recommendations?
Original post by Fatimah L.
Its kind of hard when you don't feel like you fit in. :/

I go to a Catholic School, I wear the Abaya. Trust me, I know about not fitting in and it doesn't bother me because I know Allaah is with me. Establish your prayers in school and most importantly make your parents happy, you have a duty to them.
Islam is feminism so shut up you filthy lier

why are u posting anonymous rofl
I go to a Catholic School, I wear the Abaya. Trust me, I know about not fitting in and it doesn't bother me because I know Allaah is with me. Establish your prayers in school and most importantly make your parents happy, you have a duty to them.

Good girl may Allah bless you

So do you think OP should give up her own thoughts on how uncomfortable she is with something just for her parents?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So do you think OP should give up her own thoughts on how uncomfortable she is with something just for her parents?

Yes. In Islam we have a duty to our parents.
Yes. In Islam we have a duty to our parents.

So OP doesn't matter at all? What happened to free choice for God's sake?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So OP doesn't matter at all? What happened to free choice for God's sake?

I mean, there is no compulsion in religion but it depends on her parents. If it's something they feel strongly about, I don't think clothing is a big deal.
I mean, there is no compulsion in religion but it depends on her parents. If it's something they feel strongly about, I don't think clothing is a big deal.

But if she's made it obvious that she's uncomfortable wearing it why are you telling her to wear trousers anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending