The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Not clever enough to understand this joke.
What a shame.

A-bun-dance.

A bun dancing. :elefant:

I lol'd, ngl
Original post by DJMayes
I see kids these days still play The Impossible Quiz...

Oh the memories.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Abundance is when a small cake does the macarena

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't believe I actually repped this.
Original post by EnglishMuon
http://www.cambridgefreshersweek.com/prep/top-tips-freshers-week/

Id say this article is very relevant to this thread. especially the section saying "Ohh, you’re in Girton, hahahah see you next term” “Ye mate well, you know what they say, I’d rather be at Oxford than at Girton, hahaha.”

Well this would make you sound incredibly silly, given that it's "I'd rather be at Oxford than St Johns" (to the tune of she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes).
Original post by Krollo
Abundance is when a small cake does the macarena

This is one of the standard examples used when teaching paleography. Many ancient manuscripts simply did not use spaces between words - all the letters were run together. So if you come across lastnightIsawabundanceonthetable in a manuscript you have to decide whether you are being told of great good fortune or of a miracle!
Original post by Gregorius
This is one of the standard examples used when teaching paleography. Many ancient manuscripts simply did not use spaces between words - all the letters were run together. So if you come across lastnightIsawabundanceonthetable in a manuscript you have to decide whether you are being told of great good fortune or of a miracle!

Some modern languages still don't. :wink:
Original post by vincrows
Some modern languages still don't. :wink:

Were you thinking of @physicsmaths ? :bricks:

Damn, roasted again.

No, some non-European modern languages still don't have spaces between each word. (Some do between clauses, though)
For example, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and some other Asian languages. :wink:
Damn, roasted again.

Not by me. :wink:
See above.
No, some non-European modern languages still don't have spaces between each word. (Some do between clauses, though)
For example, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and some other Asian languages. :wink:

Old Punjabi(language of State of Punjab in India) didn't have spaces either!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Old Punjabi(language of State of Punjab in India) didn't have spaces either!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it have it now?
I maybe wrong but I think some of south eastern Asian languages, like Thai, etc. And the languages of Nepal, Buta, and those area still only have a space between sentences and clauses, like in Chinese, etc. I mentioned, which I'm 100% sure of.
R e a l l a
e g a u g n*
s u s e b o
p o r t s u*
h e d o n*
Original post by Krollo
R e a l l a
e g a u g n*
s u s e b o
p o r t s u*
h e d o n*

Translation compliance:

Spoiler

Look how many reps my roasting gets.
Is this buleeing.
Does it have it now?
I maybe wrong but I think some of south eastern Asian languages, like Thai, etc. And the languages of Nepal, Buta, and those area still only have a space between sentences and clauses, like in Chinese, etc. I mentioned, which I'm 100% sure of.

Yeh they have spaces now.
The holy scriptures have spaces aswell although you can find ones with no spaces as they used to be.
Yeh they have spaces now.
The holy scriptures have spaces aswell although you can find ones with no spaces as they used to be.

Interesting they introduced the use of space in later years. Do you know when it happened?

I knew your family was originally from north India but didn't know it was Punjab.
We have a good family friends who originally came from Punjab. They're Sikh. Are you sikh or Hindu?
(edited 7 years ago)
Look how many reps my roasting gets.
Is this buleeing.

Jocose ribbing, old chap. You're one of us now.
Interesting they introduced the use of space in later years. Do you know when it happened?

I knew your family was originally from north India but didn't know it was Punjab.
We have a good family friends who originally came from Punjab. They're sheikh. Are you sheikh or Hindu?

Yeh, early 1900's.
You maybe mistaking sheikh for Sikh.
I am sikh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh, early 1900's.
You maybe mistaking sheikh for Sikh.
I am sikh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gaah, sorry!!!!!
Been trying new soft contact lens last few weeks that's not working very well at all. Can't see what I'm typing or how my iPad is auto-correcting......
Sincere apology. Corrected, for respect.

Our neighbour across the road is a Sikh family.
They're tall, the Sikh friends are very tall, you said you were tall......
Are all Sikh tall??????? :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending