The Student Room Group

Strict Parents and Uniform

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
But if she's made it obvious that she's uncomfortable wearing it why are you telling her to wear trousers anyway?

Because if her parents are happy with her, the Mercy of Allaah will be bestowed upon her and she will do well in school. By the time she knows it, she's left the place. As a Muslim, 'fitting in' isn't the goal, there is a higher purpose. I say, get over it.
Original post by yukiqueen
Because if her parents are happy with her, the Mercy of Allaah will be bestowed upon her and she will do well in school. By the time she knows it, she's left the place. As a Muslim, 'fitting in' isn't the goal, there is a higher purpose. I say, get over it.

What a load of waffle
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yukiqueen

Erm no.God isn't going to magically change her grades to As and A*s just because she chose to wear trousers over skirts just to make her parents happy.
Erm no.God isn't going to magically change her grades to As and A*s just because she chose to wear trousers over skirts just to make her parents happy.

Lol, way to take what I said out of context. In a nutshell, she has a duty to her parents and it's a command of Allaah. She posted a thread, asking for opinions. You've got mine, bye.

I don't think you quite understand what a God is do you - I'd advise when talking to a religious person to speak to them on their page, not on yours.

However to this girl - I vowed to myself when I was little to only ever wear trousers because the other children at my school used to severely bully me for wearing a skirt.
In my final year of secondary school, I finally started wearing a skirt to school - mine went almost to my calves. Talk to you parents and ask if they'd be okay with wearing a calf length skirt with black opaque tights - the school should understand about the length if that is the problem since it can be a religious reason.
I know its hard to talk to your parents (especially if you're Asian) but trust me - treasure the bonds with your family.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CheckmateJoy
I don't think you quite understand what a God is do you - I'd advise when talking to a religious person to speak on their level, not on yours.

However to this girl - I vowed to myself when I was little to only ever wear trousers because the other children at my school used to severely bully me for wearing a skirt.
In my final year of secondary school, I finally started wearing a skirt to school - mine went almost to my calves. Talk to you parents and ask if they'd be okay with wearing a calf length skirt with black opaque tights - the school should understand about the length if that is the problem since it can be a religious reason.
I know its hard to talk to your parents (especially if you're Asian) but trust me - treasure the bonds with your family.

Stop tossing around these types of statements...
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Stop tossing around these types of statements...

What do you mean by that? Is there something wrong with being considerate to people instead of antagonising them?
What do you mean by that? Is there something wrong with being considerate to people instead of antagonising them?

It sounds like you are saying religious people are on a lower level...
That's just wrong to say...

Oh I see - I apologise for my misunderstanding.
I can see how you interpreted that - I didn't mean that in the slightest - I'll go edit it to e page instead.

He wasn't to be fair
Oh I see - I apologise for my misunderstanding.
I can see how you interpreted that - I didn't mean that in the slightest - I'll go edit it to e page instead.

Oh it's okay... I thought you meant it like that...

Sorry about it :biggrin:
Original post by Fatimah L.
Hi!

Before I get to my problem I just want to say, PLEASE, do not stereotype me as another whiny girl with basic problems, thanks.

So, growing up I've had really strict parents; I wasn't allowed to have friends the opposite sex(they moved me to a girls school) and only to wear trousers as uniform. I'm 14 and turning 15 as of December. My parents are Muslim and won't allow me to wear a normal knee length skirt, my father thinks it's just 'inappropriate' to wear a normal skirt. It's not that I want to show off my legs, even though I'd wear opaque tights underneath, it's that I feel EXTREMELY self conscious and I feel like i look weird with over-sized trousers(being tall and skinny).

Thanks.

Oh come on. I thought you were going to say you had to wear something weird like a skirt and trousers together.
Sorry Get over yourself, wearing trousers is normal for thousands of girls.
I'm sure there's lots of girls who are forced to wear scarves or maybe burqa to school
Once I saw a girl with a blazer that was elongated to knee length
So your situation isn't that bad
Original post by Fatimah L.
Hi!

Before I get to my problem I just want to say, PLEASE, do not stereotype me as another whiny girl with basic problems, thanks.

So, growing up I've had really strict parents; I wasn't allowed to have friends the opposite sex(they moved me to a girls school) and only to wear trousers as uniform. I'm 14 and turning 15 as of December. My parents are Muslim and won't allow me to wear a normal knee length skirt, my father thinks it's just 'inappropriate' to wear a normal skirt. It's not that I want to show off my legs, even though I'd wear opaque tights underneath, it's that I feel EXTREMELY self conscious and I feel like i look weird with over-sized trousers(being tall and skinny).

Thanks.

Tbh my dad thinks it's inappropriate me wearing a skirt too. I feel your pain.
I am in a similar Boat 9though not the same) re;, my Converse Jumper if anyone can help please!!?

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending