The Student Room Group

Getting into aeronautical engineering with a BTEC?

Is it possible to get into a aeronautical engineering degree at uni with a BTEC in ICT or Engineering?
Original post by Vigilantis
Is it possible to get into a aeronautical engineering degree at uni with a BTEC in ICT or Engineering?

If you do a level 3 extended diploma Engineering and maths a level togeather you can get on the degree

Did you know that Airbus do a scheme where if you have a BTEC in engineering + A-level maths at grade B (you may have to double check this on their website) you will be trained on the job and then eventually get fully funded to do a BEng in Aeronautical Engineering at one of their partner universities?
Reply 3
Original post by trapking
Did you know that Airbus do a scheme where if you have a BTEC in engineering + A-level maths at grade B (you may have to double check this on their website) you will be trained on the job and then eventually get fully funded to do a BEng in Aeronautical Engineering at one of their partner universities?

I just flopped my As maths, so just looking to do a btec

Have u thought about foundation year after doing a engineering BTEC?

Don't let that put you off! I messed up maths my first time too then ended up with a B at A-level (back in my time :tongue: )

Honestly if you're not good at maths then you shouldn't consider such degree. some people with A* at Alevels maths struggle with the course content. And people that did BTEC or something similar + foundation year struggle even more with maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bigboateng_
Honestly if you're not good at maths then you shouldn't consider such degree. some people with A* at Alevels maths struggle with the course content. And people that did BTEC or something similar + foundation year struggle even more with maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be such a debbie downer. A-levels are no indication of someone's ability to do well on the degree. Sometimes people just have a bad time adapting during A-levels (which was certainly the case for me). I got the highest and second highest marks in my cohort in the maths exams (and I'm not saying this to boast but rather to show that what you're saying is not always true) yet going by your logic I should be struggling because I only got a B at A-level (yet some of these guys had A 's and A*'s) :facepalm2:

To OP....don't let people put you off. If engineering is what you want to do, then keep working hard and trying...it will pay off. I promise :smile:
Original post by trapking
Don't be such a debbie downer. A-levels are no indication of someone's ability to do well on the degree. Sometimes people just have a bad time adapting during A-levels (which was certainly the case for me). I got the highest and second highest marks in my cohort in the maths exams (and I'm not saying this to boast but rather to show that what you're saying is not always true) yet going by your logic I should be struggling because I only got a B at A-level (yet some of these guys had A 's and A*'s) :facepalm2:

To OP....don't let people put you off. If engineering is what you want to do, then keep working hard and trying...it will pay off. I promise :smile:

I'm just being real here. there's no point paying 9k a year if you're going to struggle and have to repeat the year. Engineering degree's are hard. If OP said they had a C or B at AS or something then yeah I'd probably joing the bandwagon and say "oh yeah dw engineering is easy, you'd adapt", they said BTEC ICT and Engineering.

A-levels are no indication of someone's ability to do well on the degree

is OP doing Alevels?
Reply 9
Original post by bigboateng_
I'm just being real here. there's no point paying 9k a year if you're going to struggle and have to repeat the year. Engineering degree's are hard. If OP said they had a C or B at AS or something then yeah I'd probably joing the bandwagon and say "oh yeah dw engineering is easy, you'd adapt", they said BTEC ICT and Engineering.

is OP doing Alevels?

I just did my AS leveks and got a U in maths :/ so Alevels arent for me. I got an A in gcse maths though
I just did my AS leveks and got a U in maths :/ so Alevels arent for me. I got an A in gcse maths though

Yes theres a possibility that you did bad due to some uncontrolled situation like sickeness or whatever. But given the grade will I suggest you take a degree where you are gonna be studying content 10x as hard? There are still other routes into the aero field such as Apprenticeships etc. Your best scenario is foundation degree after the btec's but that will limit you to the uni you get accepted in and as I stress again, you will find it hard. If you really want to take a degree in engineering then repeat the year tbh, just to prove to you're better and also get the chance to apply to decent universities.

Quick Reply

Latest