The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jchap9776
thoughts on the importance of 'news article you enjoyed and how it affects bank x' application questions eg jpm? stuck on what to write about

I applied for fixed income IM and wrote about a news article I read on the potential of masala bonds (Indian, rupee-denominated bonds issued offshore) and how they provide attractive yields in a relatively stable economy, obviously speaking of it as a perfect opportunity in the current low-yield environment of the western world.
Original post by jchap9776
thoughts on the importance of 'news article you enjoyed and how it affects bank x' application questions eg jpm? stuck on what to write about

My advice to you would be to

1. Recall a few news articles you read recently (presumably if you are applying to roles like these you frequently read the news).

2. Consider what opportunities could arise from the content of these news articles (did it talk about impacts on a particular commodity or economy?).

3. Does the bank your applying for have any involvement with the kind of opportunities provided? If yes, you're sorted. If no, choose another news story.
Original post by daksosodak
Is someone already received the Numerical from Lazard? If yes, how long after you've done the Verbal one. Thks

Received my rejection within an hour of sitting the verbal so I assume if you haven't heard back within a couple hours you have passed
Original post by Breakingbank
Received my rejection within an hour of sitting the verbal so I assume if you haven't heard back within a couple hours you have passed

Actually if you pass you're told straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by olly_price

1. Recall a few news articles you read recently (presumably if you are applying to roles like these you frequently read the news).

2. Consider what opportunities could arise from the content of these news articles (did it talk about impacts on a particular commodity or economy?).

3. Does the bank your applying for have any involvement with the kind of opportunities provided? If yes, you're sorted. If no, choose another news story.

Great advice.
Original post by olly_price

Is it best to stay away from broad topics like Brexit then and focus on something extremely specific? I mean - you can tailor the Brexit thing very specifically if you want but the actual news story is broad...
Original post by Commercial Paper
Is it best to stay away from broad topics like Brexit then and focus on something extremely specific? I mean - you can tailor the Brexit thing very specifically if you want but the actual news story is broad...

I think as long as its new and interesting to them it will be fine even if it is brexit driven, like a niche product that is affected and how it relates to JPM. Wouldnt start chatting about shorting house builders tho
Original post by Oschene23
Actually if you pass you're told straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know HR's e-mail? I clicked on the SJT link and it redirected me to the test again, even though I already completed it, so I am wondering if I managed to submit it successfully the first time..
How many applications can i make for MS? Can it be 2 SA roles in London or does it have to be like 1 SA and 1 FT role in London?
Original post by Breakingbank

Thank you for your reply.

Anyone know if we could apply both for the SA and Off-cycle at GS?
MS has been open for a while but there's still not S&T SA programme to apply for? There's one for Institutional Equity and Prime Brokerage but then it goes on to give the description 'The 10-week Summer Analyst Program is an opportunity to experience the culture and atmosphere of Morgan Stanley Sales & Trading by taking on some of the responsibilities and functions of a Full-time Analyst for the summer period.; - so is the correct one for S&T?
Original post by Deltasierra27
MS has been open for a while but there's still not S&T SA programme to apply for? There's one for Institutional Equity and Prime Brokerage but then it goes on to give the description 'The 10-week Summer Analyst Program is an opportunity to experience the culture and atmosphere of Morgan Stanley Sales & Trading by taking on some of the responsibilities and functions of a Full-time Analyst for the summer period.; - so is the correct one for S&T?

Yeah but if you click Apply now you'll see there's no vacancy in London apart from some off-cycle in Research I think? Same for the Commodities one. Waited ages for them to open and then no London. ****ing Brexit.
Original post by masterllecker
Yeah but if you click Apply now you'll see there's no vacancy in London apart from some off-cycle in Research I think? Same for the Commodities one. Waited ages for them to open and then no London. ****ing Brexit.

Yeah I noticed that - are we sure this is because of Brexit rather than the programme just not being open yet? Because on the previous page the programme shows up if you filter by 'EMEA' and then 'London' - and if MS weren't recruiting because of Brexit then why would Goldman and JPM do it?
Original post by Deltasierra27
Yeah I noticed that - are we sure this is because of Brexit rather than the programme just not being open yet? Because on the previous page the programme shows up if you filter by 'EMEA' and then 'London' - and if MS weren't recruiting because of Brexit then why would Goldman and JPM do it?

That's a good question tbf. But not sure if I'd risk waiting much longer.
Original post by masterllecker
That's a good question tbf. But not sure if I'd risk waiting much longer.

Agreed. I've submitted apps for the others so it's not an issue, but I'm just having to wait to find out about this issue... :frown:
Do UBS + DB take on recent grads for their summer intern positions? Cant find off cycle positions on their website and they state penultimate year only for summers.
Original post by juventus100
Do UBS + DB take on recent grads for their summer intern positions? Cant find off cycle positions on their website and they state penultimate year only for summers.

Deutsche Bank definitely do not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Deutsche Bank definitely do not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's the option for final years then if u don't want to go for the full time position as there is minimal, if any opportunity of actually landing a role*
Original post by sreddy17
what's the option for final years then if u don't want to go for the full time position as there is minimal, if any opportunity of actually landing a role*

mate they got vacancy's AVAILABLE for FT at DB so people who are in their final year and are going to graduate can apply, i dont understand what is the point of your post tbh...
Does DB still require a cover letter even with all the 134738457 questions it has on the app form?

Quick Reply

Latest