The Student Room Group

**** them year 10's for pushing the grade boundaries high!

Due to the new specification next year for exams some schools were putting year 10's in early for certain subjects to try and secure them a grade on the old specification but in turn exam boards respond to this by putting up grade boundaries to try and stop them passing for the last year of the old specification!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Schools trying to get the well and ready Year 10's in for this year as they have all the resources for this spec like past papers and all that jazz but this pushes down on Year 11 border line students!

They should have just waited till Year 11 as the mark scheme will be better adjusted for the first year on the New specification.
erm... That's rude....
Reply 3
Original post by Starlight15
erm... That's rude....

Well it's the truth.

Teachers with good students wanting them in on the old spec to try and get them top grades....

They should wait until Year 11 rather than push up boundaries for Border Line Current Year 11's..
(edited 7 years ago)
Why **** them? They're often not the ones that choose to be entered early, it's the teachers that choose...
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
Why **** them? They're often not the ones that choose to be entered early, it's the teachers that choose...

Well A student should get there choice on the subject of entering early as they really don't have to and could improve in a year & exam boards should restrict GCSE entries to YEAR 11 or higher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Rubbish. The grade boundaries are roughly the same as every year. Whine whine whine, all it is with most people nowadays.
Reply 7
Original post by richpanda
Rubbish. The grade boundaries are roughly the same as every year. Whine whine whine, all it is with most people nowadays.

Well this year is very different. Last year of a old spec.
Changes next year make uncertainty's in teaching.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Well A student should get there choice on the subject of entering early as they really don't have to and could improve in a year & exam boards should restrict GCSE entries to YEAR 11 or higher.

I believe that's something that's being enacted with the 9-1 specs, but that's likely too late for you.
Reply 9
Original post by _gcx
I believe that's something that's being enacted with the 9-1 specs, but that's likely too late for you.

Well if the Year 11+ thing is part of the new spec then GG it came far too late.

Having teachers put A* Year 10's in exams really increases a average grade and places Year 11 Border Graders in a tougher spot.
Reply 10
If Year 10 pupils (many of which have covered the spec in one year) are able to push the boundaries up, these Year 11 pupils aren't working hard enough.
Reply 11
Original post by umar39
If Year 10 pupils (many of which have covered the spec in one year) are able to push the boundaries up, these Year 11 pupils aren't working hard enough.

Not all year 10's are been put in but mostly those with A*'s which does NOT help Year 11's when it comes to grade boundaries as the Year 10 toppers increase the average score making grade boundaries higher!
Reply 12
I'm considering writing to Ofqual / Exam boards to request they void any entries this year from Year 10 students or below and remark as it is real unfair on current Year 11's with the New Spec pushing more Year 10's in for exams this year due to uncertainty's.
Reply 13
Not all year 10's are been put in but mostly those with A*'s which does NOT help Year 11's when it comes to grade boundaries as the Year 10 toppers increase the average score making grade boundaries higher!

I understand that (I'm one of those Year 10 pupils :redface:). As gcx said the students don't decide whether they sit these exams, it's the department or the school. In my schools instance, the pupils are expected to sit both the old and new spec so for most we're just looking for an extra GCSE. If the higher candidates are able to achieve a high grade they should be able to do that, it's not a case of being empathetic for the Year 11 pupils. It's a tough world, so don't expect any sympathy from the exam board or the other candidates.
Reply 14
I'm considering writing to Ofqual / Exam boards to request they void any entries this year from Year 10 students or below and remark as it is real unfair on current Year 11's with the New Spec pushing more Year 10's in for exams this year due to uncertainty's.

That's a ridiculous idea and will not happen. No matter how oppressed you feel (that's of course if you do feel that way) there is no chance of a reform of the boundaries or the exclusion of candidates.
LOL you're kidding, right?
Reply 16

At my school the whole of year 10 apart from the special needs students got entered for Core Science.
blooh bleeh blooh blah blooh I don't understand how grade boundaries work. waahhhhhhh I haven't even got my results yet but I'm already finding an excuse for my possible shortcomings

And that is what you sound like.

If good students who work hard are being entered and doing well, then good for them! If you are complaining that you aren't getting a better grade (when you don't even know your grade. Trying to cover your bases in case of what you evidently think is the inevitable?) because other people did better than you, then just stop. Stop being so entitled. Those people worked hard for it, if you didn't and expect to do well, than your reasoning is very, very flawed.
Reply 18
Made a .Gov petition as Ofqual is part of the government.
Original post by richpanda
Rubbish. The grade boundaries are roughly the same as every year.

Looks like someone didn't see A level maths boundaries

Quick Reply

Latest