The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was really confident with what I thought I'd get but now looking at the grade boundaries I'm not so sure.
Original post by alishba-rosex
I was really confident with what I thought I'd get but now looking at the grade boundaries I'm not so sure.

Oh my god same. Maths has me very doubtful at this point.
Original post by alishba-rosex

Yeah I thought I would do well, but looking at them grade boundaries I can see my A*s fading away in front of my very eyes!
Original post by jessgibson
That was the weirdest question ever closely followed by the writing about English holidays

I know right 😂
My parents said that they know i tried so they wont be mad if i dont get the grades i want and tbh thats not why im so nervous. Im nervous cuz if i dont get the grades i want ill be kicking myself on why I didn't push myself harder plus my teachers wont let me do the subjects i want if i dont get the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ColossalAtom
What was the need for the reformed A-levels and GCSEs then?

The reformed A-Levels have nothing to do with boundaries. They were just the government trying to be smart tbh.

Original post by ak143244
I don't understand why the grade boundaries are high in maths edexcel when the paper was kinda hard but not very very easy.

You've probably done better than you expected. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
The reformed A-Levels have nothing to do with boundaries. They were just the government trying to be smart tbh.

You've probably done better than you expected. :smile:

I doubt it, but thanks anyway :smile:
What annoys me is now everyone needs a C in Maths and English Language GCSE but the grade boundaries are put up and down to control how many people get those grades. There's always going to be a bunch of kids that fail.
Original post by ChickenFillet2.0
I believe the former is the more desirable outcome; 'happier' students with more pathways open mean more potential can be discovered later on-down-the-line. I believe the premise that having low grade boundaries "doesn't separate" students by perceived academic ability is in fact a positive outcome.
Why; countless studies have shown that true development and true academic potential cannot be properly measured in the very limiting context of GCSE exams - I think the GCSE should serve as a 'positive boost' for students, to encourage them to pursue study further and later down the road we can start talking about issuing qualifications in the interests of streaming society.

I didn't say that GCSEs was the soul decider of our future. Nothing wrong with being happy of course. But grade boundaries wasn't too bad for some subjects for certain exam boards. A-levels has a much higher amount of clout compared to GCSEs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChickenFillet2.0
I believe the former is the more desirable outcome; 'happier' students with more pathways open mean more potential can be discovered later on-down-the-line. I believe the premise that having low grade boundaries "doesn't separate" students by perceived academic ability is in fact a positive outcome.
Why; countless studies have shown that true development and true academic potential cannot be properly measured in the very limiting context of GCSE exams - I think the GCSE should serve as a 'positive boost' for students, to encourage them to pursue study further and later down the road we can start talking about issuing qualifications in the interests of streaming society.

The grade boundaries don't change so that more or less people get a specific grade, they change to keep the number of people getting each grade approximately the same each year.
Original post by GCSEstudentxo
Oh my god same. Maths has me very doubtful at this point.

Same here, I thought I'd get an A but now I don't even know if I can scrape a B. Good luck:h:

Original post by OwlOfFire
Yeah I thought I would do well, but looking at them grade boundaries I can see my A*s fading away in front of my very eyes!

It's so unfair that they decide to do this, I honestly don't know what's going to happen, but anyways good luck:h:
After looking at the grade boundaries... I think it's time to crack out the vodka
Original post by nisha.sri
What is the good thing about high grade boundaries ?

The good thing about high grade boundaries is that the examiners saw that people found the papers easy, so they decided to increase the grade boundaries
Still not over the maths grade boundaries, how can they possible be that high? The non-calculator paper was of moderate difficulty and the calculator paper was indeed very easy but still do not think it compensates for a 170 A* grade boundary, 166 would be a better and more realistic value. Even 140 for an A is very high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reading the thread today has just made me anxious :shot:
Original post by B_9710
The grade boundaries don't change so that more or less people get a specific grade, they change to keep the number of people getting each grade approximately the same each year.

I know this but I find it silly considering the need for a C in English and Maths.

What they need to do is set a test for those who fail English or Maths and if they get over 50 out of 100, they get a C and if not they have to study it next year and take this exam again. And both exams should focus on life skills e.g. Calculating costs and writing a letter, not algebra or a story. The exam will be treated as a foundation so you can only get a C, or they can take the normal paper. And the grade boundary for this test will be C or fail.

Idk maybe my ideas stupid but it'd save the students that can't get a C first time round😂
Original post by OwlOfFire
Wow, I normally get a B or C in French, but I'm so worried now!

what did you get on your coursework?
Where is the CIE grade threshold?
Can we have someone else collect our GCSE results?
Original post by B_9710

I thought they changed depending on the difficulty of the paper? They try to keep the difficulty the same each year, but according to the results by students, if majority are lower than expected than the grade boundaries will match this. If students did particularly well, then grade boundaries are made higher.

Latest