The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So worried about the high Edexcel Music grade boundaries. Why Edexcel ?!!!!!
Original post by jazz_xox_
what did you get on your coursework?

Overall I got a B
Original post by ColossalAtom
Can we have someone else collect our GCSE results?

Yes, as long as you provide them with a letter that is signed by you. They have to show ID as well if they are collecting it for you! :smile:
Original post by BlueberryViolin
So worried about the high Edexcel Music grade boundaries. Why Edexcel ?!!!!!

I knew they'd be high. Although I didn't expect maths to be 140, more like 135. 170 for an A* isn't bad at all considering it could of been 171-176. Last years was low because LOADS of students struggled. Our paper wasn't that bad compared to theirs. 70 for C I was expecting, and I thought I'd be 100 for B but I'm not surprised.
do you think the percentage of A and A* will decrease this year like it did with a-level? i have heard that some exam boards are trying to make this the case, so it shows that the new 9-1 way of marking is needed for next year. :frown:
Original post by cdaniels2011
I thought they changed depending on the difficulty of the paper? They try to keep the difficulty the same each year, but according to the results by students, if majority are lower than expected than the grade boundaries will match this. If students did particularly well, then grade boundaries are made higher.

If the grade boundaries are made lower so that the same number of people who got a particular grade in a particular year is the same as the year before, then this obviously means the paper was more difficult than the previous year.
Original post by Nudelauflauf
After looking at the grade boundaries... I think it's time to crack out the vodka

lol... Save some for tomorrow
I thought they changed depending on the difficulty of the paper? They try to keep the difficulty the same each year, but according to the results by students, if majority are lower than expected than the grade boundaries will match this. If students did particularly well, then grade boundaries are made higher.

Thought the same thing, well thats what my teachers said to me anyway. Hopefully everyone does really bad so the grade boundaries go down haha :biggrin:
Just looked at the maths Edexcel grade boundaries and getting a tiny concerned.... in the exam i added up 140 and the grade boundaries said 143 to pass. Will thry try and give me 3 marks???? I don't wanna fail this guys! :frown:
Well, I'm completely dead.

Anyone fancy being my run-away-from-home buddy?
What you think you've got:Mostly As, hopefully some A*sPredicted grades:Best case scenario would be - A*s in English Language and Literature, French, Physics and History, As in Maths, RE, Biology and Chemistry from last year, a C in Art Worst case - A*s in English Lang/Lit and French, As in Physics, History, RE, Biology and Chemistry, A B in Maths and a D in ArtWhat you've actually got:An A in Chemistry from Year 10 How are you feeling about results day?Scared sh*tless tbh
How are you going to open your result?By envelope at school or on my way home. What A levels are you doing? (if not what is your alternative)Biology, Chemistry, Maths w/ Stats and English Literature OR French
Are you going to record your GCSE results on YouTube? (If so I can't wait to see it!)F*ck no! That'd be embarrassing GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :hoppy:
Original post by Pedrex
Thought the same thing, well thats what my teachers said to me anyway. Hopefully everyone does really bad so the grade boundaries go down haha :biggrin:

Yeah my teacher told me the same.. that once the grades were calculated for everyone sitting a particular exam, the grade boundaries were created afterward to balance or whatever to show how well or not so well students did in the exam. For each question, all answers/marks achieved are added up and an average mark is found. It varies every year because all exams have different difficulties - the student marks emphasise this.
What you think you've got: Mostly As, hopefully some A*s Predicted grades: Best case scenario would be - A*s in English Language and Literature, French, Physics and History, As in Maths, RE, Biology and Chemistry from last year, a C in Art Worst case - A*s in English Lang/Lit and French, As in Physics, History, RE, Biology and Chemistry, A B in Maths and a D in Art What you've actually got: An A in Chemistry from Year 10 How are you feeling about results day? Scared sh*tless tbh How are you going to open your result? By envelope at school or on my way home. What A levels are you doing? (if not what is your alternative) Biology, Chemistry, Maths w/ Stats and English Literature OR French Are you going to record your GCSE results on YouTube? (If so I can't wait to see it!) F*ck no! That'd be embarrassing GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :hoppy:
anyone know where i can find WJEC English Language level 1 / level 2 certificate grade boundaries?
Original post by OwlOfFire
Overall I got a B

That's good . :smile: I'm hoping the controlled assessment will bring up my grade as it is 60%. Good luck let me know how you do tomorrow :u:
Original post by jazz_xox_
That's good . :smile: I'm hoping the controlled assessment will bring up my grade as it is 60%. Good luck let me know how you do tomorrow :u:

How did you do in the controlled assessment? If I get a C in reading, with B in controlled assessment and a U on listening....what do you reckon that would balance out at?
Original post by OwlOfFire
How did you do in the controlled assessment? If I get a C in reading, with B in controlled assessment and a U on listening....what do you reckon that would balance out at?

We weren't told the exact grades and marks but I think I got an A* :smile: I reckon that would be a C overall- listening on its own its only 20% so wouldn't make a drastic difference.
Yeah my teacher told me the same.. that once the grades were calculated for everyone sitting a particular exam, the grade boundaries were created afterward to balance or whatever to show how well or not so well students did in the exam. For each question, all answers/marks achieved are added up and an average mark is found. It varies every year because all exams have different difficulties - the student marks emphasise this.

In my own opinion, i would prefer it if they had a fixed mark for each exam, it would make it less stressful for students i think...and its more fair to have a fixed pass mark. Anyway its their decision to make. I Hope you get the results you need/ want :smile:
Original post by Pedrex
In my own opinion, i would prefer it if they had a fixed mark for each exam, it would make it less stressful for students i think...and its more fair to have a fixed pass mark. Anyway its their decision to make. I Hope you get the results you need/ want :smile:

I think so too. Thanks so much, you too. Have a blessed day tomorrow.
I think so too. Thanks so much, you too. Have a blessed day tomorrow.

No problem, im sure you've done enough to achieve the grades!! Thank you, well it's more like a stressful day in all fairness:h:

Latest