The Student Room Group

**** them year 10's for pushing the grade boundaries high!

Scroll to see replies

Seriously stop whining you haven't even got your results yet.
When I was in year 10 and did early exams I didn't have any choice in the matter, the teachers decide. Not year 10s fault if they work hard to do well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by lucabrasi98
Looks like someone didn't see A level maths boundaries

They are rarely the same most the time.
It's embarrassing that the year 10s are smarter than you
Reply 23
Original post by Starlight15
It's embarrassing that the year 10s are smarter than you

Not all of them....
Reply 24
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Schools trying to get the well and ready Year 10's in for this year as they have all the resources for this spec like past papers and all that jazz but this pushes down on Year 11 border line students!

They should have just waited till Year 11 as the mark scheme will be better adjusted for the first year on the New specification.

Exam boards are trying to remove the borderline students. They only want to give an A* to those who have produced a reasonable amount of work at A* standard. I have heard many complaints about the setting of A* in Edexcel Maths. However, the new boundary means that those who get an A* can do A* maths. Take 2015 for example, you cannot say that 45 marks of the 200 was solely A*, can you? I am aware that standard deviation must be considered and the A* boundary set below this, however, breakdowns will most likely suggest that the average A* candidate got a mark in the 180s.
Reply 25
Made a .Gov petition as Ofqual is part of the government.

No use, all grades have been assigned and statistics created. A petition didn't change the grade boundaries for one paper with a hard 1 mark question, instead increased them.
Reply 26
Original post by ad4m
No use, all grades have been assigned and statistics created. A petition didn't change the grade boundaries for one paper with a hard 1 mark question, instead increased them.

It's worth a damn shot, High grade year 10's unbalance things for Year 11 border line students making things harder for this group mostly.
Reply 27
It's worth a damn shot, High grade year 10's unbalance things for Year 11 border line students making things harder for this group mostly.

It's not the year 10s that made the GB high - it is the borderline students. Exam boards do not want to give borderline students a grade A* if they only got the marks for one A* question.
SIGN THIS PETITION TO INFORM OFQUAL
(GOV DEPARTMENT) YEAR 10 AND BELOW'S GRADED PAPERS SHOULD BE REVOKED AND THEN HAVE GRADE BOUNDARIES REMADE FOR YEAR 11 ONLY!:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/165622/sponsors/TLs4BsdTVI35Wc0onJH

You do know there is literally nothing that can be done at this point? The grade boundaries are final, and that's that. Anyway, that would be unfair for those entered early, it's not their fault as I stated earlier.
Reply 29
Original post by ad4m
It's not the year 10s that made the GB high - it is the borderline students. Exam boards do not want to give borderline students a grade A* if they only got the marks for one A* question.

But I hear they take average scores and calculate grade boundaries from that.

So having A / A* Year 10's sitting papers won't be helping the grade boundaries for borderline students.
Reply 30
Original post by _gcx
You do know there is literally nothing that can be done at this point? The grade boundaries are final, and that's that. Anyway, that would be unfair for those entered early, it's not their fault as I stated earlier.

Sure it's there fault. They are working hard in a exam they most likely get to do again in Year 11 and all they do is push things up for the current year 11 in turn making it harder for borderline students.

If there result's got voided then grade boundaries would fall due to less A/A* students sitting papers. A lot of school's place D/C student's on higher papers as the score needed tends to be less but competition from high graded Year 10's makes things harder on higher!
Reply 31
But I hear they take average scores and calculate grade boundaries from that.

So having A / A* Year 10's sitting papers won't be helping the grade boundaries for borderline students.

Average score for A* will be around 180 this year. People with a mark more than 10 marks lower than that simply shouldn't deserve it. Borderline people just haven't been lucky this year.
No, no, no. They weren't allowed to early enter us for Maths because we asked and they said it wasn't possible. So, quit your whining and deal with the high boundaries: they're not even that high. You can get an A* by dropping like 30 marks....
Reply 33
Original post by danielwinstanley
No, no, no. They weren't allowed to early enter us for Maths because we asked and they said it wasn't possible. So, quit your whining and deal with the high boundaries: they're not even that high. You can get an A* by dropping like 30 marks....

Funny, my maths teacher informed me of the potential of schools actually entering early. Could have been the exam board that rejected the decisions.
Sure it's there fault. They are working hard in a exam they most likely get to do again in Year 11 and all they do is push things up for the current year 11 in turn making it harder for borderline students.

If there result's got voided then grade boundaries would fall due to less A/A* students sitting papers. A lot of school's place D/C student's on higher papers as the score needed tends to be less but competition from high graded Year 10's makes things harder on higher!

So, it's their fault for working hard? I seriously don't get what you're trying to say.

The grade boundaries cannot/will not be changed, they have been decided for a while now, and are 100% final.
Reply 35
Funny, my maths teacher informed me of the potential of schools actually entering early. Could have been the exam board that rejected the decisions.

Teachers have told me that early entry could be possible, but would not count and those in year 10 would need to sit 9-1 anyway so no point.
Reply 36
Original post by _gcx
So, it's their fault for working hard? I seriously don't get what you're trying to say.

The grade boundaries cannot/will not be changed, they have been decided for a while now, and are 100% final.

Well they can do it at Year 11 like most students. They should be waiting until there year gets to do the exams rather than jumping the gun and pushing grade boundaries up in Year 10 for Year 11's....
Reply 37
Original post by ad4m
Teachers have told me that early entry could be possible, but would not count and those in year 10 would need to sit 9-1 anyway so no point.

It might not count towards a student's grade but it could be contributed to grade boundaries.
Reply 38
It might not count towards a student's grade but it could be contributed to grade boundaries.

Grade boundaries are set and nothing can be done to change it. They have been set where they are for a reason.
You literally make no sense

Quick Reply

Latest