The Student Room Group

Will unis rank you higher if you attended a grammar school sixth form?

URGENT I HAVE TO DECIDE TOMORROW

I don't know whether to attend my school sixth form (for convenience, familiarity and decent teaching) or a grammar school sixth form for my A-levels (which takes about 1 hour on the bus.)

Is it likely that I would do much better at a grammar school? And is it something that unis take into consideration?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellepalmer

I don't know whether to attend my school sixth form (for convenience, familiarity and decent teaching) or a grammar school sixth form for my A-levels (which takes about 1 hour on the bus.)

Is it likely that I would do much better at a grammar school? And is it something that unis take into consideration?

Honestly it depends. If you go to a grammar school and they provide you with the subject choices you want or need for Uni (for example Physics is a likely subject taught at grammar school and not a non-grammar state school) then by all means go for it. At a grammar school the teaching standards may be higher, and they will definitely push you further, however this isn't what gives you the higher grades. It's all about the work you put in to get the grades. It is possible to achieve the same grades at a non-grammar school but you won't be pushed as much as a grammar school would do (can be a good thing).

So if you want to study for a degree such as Engineering/Medicine or others, which require specific A-levels, then go to the grammar school which provides you with those subjects. If you can find all your subjects that you need/ or want at a non-grammar school, than you could equally likely achieve the same grades.

Here is what differs. If you get the same grades as those from a grammar school (while studying at non-grammar), and you meet the required entrance grades for that Uni, you may be favoured. This is because you may be compared to other people from your school to see what your average grade is; to show how well you have done in reality.

I am not a professional so take my comments with a grain of salt. Good luck with your endeavours
Reply 2
Original post by Ze Witcher
Honestly it depends. If you go to a grammar school and they provide you with the subject choices you want or need for Uni (for example Physics is a likely subject taught at grammar school and not a non-grammar state school) then by all means go for it. At a grammar school the teaching standards may be higher, and they will definitely push you further, however this isn't what gives you the higher grades. It's all about the work you put in to get the grades. It is possible to achieve the same grades at a non-grammar school but you won't be pushed as much as a grammar school would do (can be a good thing).

So if you want to study for a degree such as Engineering/Medicine or others, which require specific A-levels, then go to the grammar school which provides you with those subjects. If you can find all your subjects that you need/ or want at a non-grammar school, than you could equally likely achieve the same grades.

Here is what differs. If you get the same grades as those from a grammar school (while studying at non-grammar), and you meet the required entrance grades for that Uni, you may be favoured. This is because you may be compared to other people from your school to see what your average grade is; to show how well you have done in reality.

I am not a professional so take my comments with a grain of salt. Good luck with your endeavours

Thank you! Both schools offer the subjects I am taking as I am more humanities based than science but this helps a lot, thank you and good luck to you too!

Depends an A is an A however my sister is at a grammar school and the teaching standards are much better but also they require a lot more of you she starts her GCSE 's in year9
Original post by niteninja1
Depends an A is an A however my sister is at a grammar school and the teaching standards are much better but also they require a lot more of you she starts her GCSE 's in year9

The new government gcse is a three year course afaik so state schools will be doing this too
Nope, they would only rank you higher if it's a private school. Y'know... elitism n that
Original post by LifeIsFine
The new government gcse is a three year course afaik so state schools will be doing this too

Yes but this was before the government changes she starts her pre A-levels in year 11 basically she does say a year of A-levels maths before starting the course
Yes but this was before the government changes she starts her pre A-levels in year 11 basically she does say a year of A-levels maths before starting the course

:s-smilie: Well good luck to your sister
My point is grammar schools are a lot more pressure but the reward can be greater
Original post by LifeIsFine
:s-smilie: Well good luck to your sister
An hour is quite a bit of travel. Presumably youve visiited? Only you cna tell the relative gap of teaching standards.

Id compare the results that both achieve then figure out whther its wiorth it for me. Id be tempted by grammar school but ots just straihtforward pros and cons. Travel cna be tiring, you might not like the school, it may be less fun than with familiar teachers and friends. You may or may not get better results.
Reply 10

I've been at a grammar for all of secondary school including sixth form. The lower school is good but the sixth form isn't brilliant because it's huge and the entry standard isn't very high - i.e. it's essentially like a comprehensive sixth form. Of course this may be different to the one you're looking at, but that's just my situation.
If your school is pretty good, get decent results and people have gone on to do whatever you aspire to, then I'd stay - it probably isn't worth the bus journey. I live a 5 minute drive from my school and that time after school to get work done is pretty invaluable.
Also, if you manage to get high results at your current school, your application to university will often actually be looked at more favourably than if you went to a higher-performing school.
Reply 11
Unless your local gets dramatically worse results than the grammar, I'd definitely recommend you stay on. You'll benefit much more from the extra two hours a day than a slightly better standard of teaching. Staying on should also help you settle in a bit quicker at the beginning of the year.
Statistically, you will receive better results at a private school than you will at a state comprehensive school.

This will affect your university application. For example, universities such as Oxbridge may look at your attainment against the average attainment of your school. For instance, if you receive 5 A*s at GCSE but the average at your school is 8 A*s, this won't look as good. Whereas someone from a state school who receives 5 A*s at GCSE where the average for their school is 1, will be looked upon more favourably. It's about your attainment in relation to the rest of your school.
Go the grammar
Reply 14
Original post by nonon41
Unless your local gets dramatically worse results than the grammar, I'd definitely recommend you stay on. You'll benefit much more from the extra two hours a day than a slightly better standard of teaching. Staying on should also help you settle in a bit quicker at the beginning of the year.

Just looked at the results from A-levels this year and 11 students achieved fully A* grades at the grammar compared to 1 at my current school (Although there are also around three times more students at the grammar school, and the entrance level is much higher.) Thanks for the advice! I agree I do think it would be easier to settle and didn't even consider the two hours taken out of each day for travel which could be spent studying.
Reply 15
Go the grammar

Reasoning?
Reply 16
Original post by ninapudding
Statistically, you will receive better results at a private school than you will at a state comprehensive school.

This will affect your university application. For example, universities such as Oxbridge may look at your attainment against the average attainment of your school. For instance, if you receive 5 A*s at GCSE but the average at your school is 8 A*s, this won't look as good. Whereas someone from a state school who receives 5 A*s at GCSE where the average for their school is 1, will be looked upon more favourably. It's about your attainment in relation to the rest of your school.

Thank you, I hadn't even thought about how my results would look comparatively and I know for sure I wouldn't be one of the top students if attending the grammar.
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
An hour is quite a bit of travel. Presumably youve visiited? Only you cna tell the relative gap of teaching standards.

Id compare the results that both achieve then figure out whther its wiorth it for me. Id be tempted by grammar school but ots just straihtforward pros and cons. Travel cna be tiring, you might not like the school, it may be less fun than with familiar teachers and friends. You may or may not get better results.

Yes I've visited but unfortunately not experienced the teaching as there were only open evenings rather than taster days. Thank you for the advice!

I went to a grammar school from year 7 - year 13 and I would go for the grammar school without hesitation.

You will not get 'ranked' higher for going to a grammar school. It means you will not be offered any of the lower uni offers, like when they make contextual offers to students who attended poor schools. They will if anything expect more from you because you went to a good school where everyone performs well.

But you will most likely do better having attended a grammar. They are designed to churn out top grades. At my school, something like 95% of students got all A* or A grades in their A levels - this statistic was printed and stuck on walls all around the school to remind you a B is not acceptable, a B is a fail at grammar school. if you need As for uni, you will be getting As and if you're not they will pick you up on it. In comparison, at the comprehensive schools around me (i had been to their open days and for sixth form I briefly considered leaving so went to look) they were bursting with pride at how many of their students had 'achieved' a C grade.

I didn't enjoy grammar, I wouldn't go back to school for a day even if you paid me, but they will get you the grades you need to go to a top uni. They also provide more in my experience/my area at least with stuff like UCAS, uni interviews, personal statements, every student had at least 2 sessions with career advisors, etc
I'm pretty much in the same boat here! I want to go to a grammar school an hour and a half away by train and my current state school sixth form is just a back up at the moment. All my subjects are humanities.

My state school sixth form is currently performing below the nations average and the grammar is performing quite a bit higher. I'm really really hoping I get into the grammar because its so much nicer and theres much better extra curricular stuff and just a better school atmosphere really.

Quick Reply

Latest