The Student Room Group

Oxford University dress code

Hi, I have recently had my offer to study at Oxford university confirmed however I am really concerned about their dress code, specifically anything formal such as at black tie events during freshers week etc. The thing is I really dislike wearing dresses/ gowns (I'm a girl btw) and haven't worn one since I was eight by preference. I'm not really very 'feminine' and I certainly do not have the figure for a dress (unless a tent counts) but I really don't want to stick out like a sore thumb wearing something inappropriate. However I also don't want to feel uncomfortable and I would much rather wear smart trousers or, at a stretch, a smart skirt. Any advice on what I should do will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there is anyone out there joining Hertford college in October, what do you think of the bop theme 'Welcome to the Jungle' and do you have an idea of what you are going to wear?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parrotperson
Hi, I have recently had my offer to study at Oxford university confirmed however I am really concerned about their dress code, specifically anything formal such as at black tie events during freshers week etc. The thing is I really dislike wearing dresses/ gowns (I'm a girl btw) and haven't worn one since I was eight by preference. I'm not really very 'feminine' and I certainly do not have the figure for a dress (unless a tent counts) but I really don't want to stick out like a sore thumb wearing something inappropriate. However I also don't want to feel uncomfortable and I would much rather wear smart trousers or, at a stretch, a smart skirt. Any advice on what I should do will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there is anyone out there joining Hertford college in October, what do you think of the bop theme 'Welcome to the Jungle' and do you have an idea of what you are going to wear?

For formals, wear whatever you are comfortable with. If that's smart trousers or a smart skirt, that's perfectly fine. As for black tie events, I'll admit that dresses were more of the norm, but would also stress that I also didn't really take much notice of what anybody was wearing. And most others will probably be exactly the same. As long as it's formal looking and you're not rocking up in a tee and jeans, genuinely wear what you'd like. When I first started, formals and black tie events all felt very weird to me, but soon enough they become the norm.

I won't be going to the bop (I miss those) but I'd imagine people would be going as things such as animals, jungle explorers etc. In my college, they often didn't tell us the theme until a few days beforehand, and it was generally a thing to go bop shopping on the afternoon before the bop and making costumes together. It might be different at Hertford, but you might not need to worry too much about bop costumes until you get there!
(edited 7 years ago)

Smart trousers are perfectly fine and are an equally stylish and acceptable look to go for :smile:. You could even wear something like a fitted suit/one piece for black tie events.

I'm not at Hertford but as the above user has mentioned something like dressing up as an animal (a onesie perhaps, face painted), etc.

Fresher's week can be a daunting experience but please don't stress too much about it :biggrin:

Feel free to ask any other questions

Hello from your Radcliffe Square neighbours at Brasenose!
We would suggest asking this question on the Hertford Freshers Facebook page or writing to your college student 'parents' if you've been assigned some, or getting in touch with Hertford's JCR Rep organising Freshers week
http://www.hertford.ox.ac.uk/my-hertford/freshers

You might also check out the Hertford JCR Facebook site as the photo section probably includes lots of snaps taken at different events and you'll get an idea of the diverse takes on formal dress.

Another option is to ask Orla White, who is the OUSU Women's Vice President:
https://ousu.org/representing-you/your-reps/ Or you could even ask the OUSU Advice Service - they tell us they've been asked about pretty much everything over the years and welcome all enquiries:
https://ousu.org/advice/student-advice-service/

We have absolutely no idea what to wear at a bop of this description (our students get to choose anything beginning with B, N, or C for dress-up - we've had a few Cleopatras over the years). But more generally, you won't be alone in preferring trousers to dresses. Black tie events also probably won't be on the horizon until Christmas.
Reply 4
You can wear pretty much whatever you want that isn't expressly black tie. If you don't directly seek out formal events, you probably won't need to attend any other than formal hall, for which you can probably wear anything. Even if an event is designated black tie, I doubt anyone would say anything if you were something that wasn't quite black tie standard. Sunday formal at Magdalen is supposedly black tie, but I've frequently seen things like skirt+blouse and suits that are very far from black. If you're just trying to get away with something, you won't have any issues, but if you're attending a ball or something of the sort, a dress would probably be recommended.

Don't worry about the bop at all. I feel like getting the freshers to dress up is almost a prank, and absolutely nobody cares if your ensemble isn't spectacular. By the end of the year, we had about 30% turnout on bops, and maybe a quarter of attendees actually dressed up.

I imagine you could wear a smart female pantsuit for black tie if you aren't comfortable with dresses, with a black bow tie for good measure - it would look very similar to male black tie, so you wouldn't stick out at all. I have been told that there is a difference between usual work suits and black tie suits though, so you might want to check that yours qualifies as black tie.

As for formals, it varies a lot depending on college (mine was pretty relaxed, particularly on weekdays, so people routinely showed up in jeans/ shorts/ t-shirts). Even if it is formal (eg suit + tie or equivalent), I'm sure you could wear pants or a skirt, coupled with a blouse. Anything that looks smart would be acceptable.

For sub fusc, you can definitely wear pants, so long as it's dark. Remember to have a pair of black shoes (and dark socks, should you choose to wear those).

People tend not to be fussed about attire unless you underdress or overdress significantly (eg wearing pajamas to a formal). I'd say wear whatever you want, and smart pants/ skirts are definitely fine. You don't have to wear a dress, and I suspect people won't care one bit.
Black tie events are not very often.
Original post by brendan.
For formals, wear whatever you are comfortable with. If that's smart trousers or a smart skirt, that's perfectly fine. As for black tie events, I'll admit that dresses were more of the norm, but would also stress that I also didn't really take much notice of what anybody was wearing. And most others will probably be exactly the same. As long as it's formal looking and you're not rocking up in a tee and jeans, genuinely wear what you'd like. When I first started, formals and black tie events all felt very weird to me, but soon enough they become the norm.

I won't be going to the bop (I miss those) but I'd imagine people would be going as things such as animals, jungle explorers etc. In my college, they often didn't tell us the theme until a few days beforehand, and it was generally a thing to go bop shopping on the afternoon before the bop and making costumes together. It might be different at Hertford, but you might not need to worry too much about bop costumes until you get there!

That's a relief :smile: I guess I didn't want to make a fool of myself as I've never really been to/ experienced anything like it before. I'm sure I'll get used to the formals etc when I get there :smile:

Aww that's a shame :/ I think I have a few ideas but I suppose I'm just worried I'll either get it wrong or overthink it, but I guess if everyone is doing it together I won't be as awkward :smile: I hope you don't mind me asking, but which college are you studying at?
Original post by EvasiveRose
Smart trousers are perfectly fine and are an equally stylish and acceptable look to go for :smile:. You could even wear something like a fitted suit/one piece for black tie events.

I'm not at Hertford but as the above user has mentioned something like dressing up as an animal (a onesie perhaps, face painted), etc.

Fresher's week can be a daunting experience but please don't stress too much about it :biggrin:

Feel free to ask any other questions

That's good to hear as I have never really been to any sort of formal event before :/

I'm probably going to do something like that, I guess I am just over-thinking it a bit :smile: May I ask which college you are studying at?

I'll try not to :wink: I suppose me being the shy type has always meant any sort of new social situations intimidate me :smile: However, I'm going to try and use university to change that :smile:

I know this sounds like a really random question, but I was wondering what the first few weeks of studying there are like. Is the workload suddenly very intense or does it build up as you get settled in?
Original post by hrunting
You can wear pretty much whatever you want that isn't expressly black tie. If you don't directly seek out formal events, you probably won't need to attend any other than formal hall, for which you can probably wear anything. Even if an event is designated black tie, I doubt anyone would say anything if you were something that wasn't quite black tie standard. Sunday formal at Magdalen is supposedly black tie, but I've frequently seen things like skirt+blouse and suits that are very far from black. If you're just trying to get away with something, you won't have any issues, but if you're attending a ball or something of the sort, a dress would probably be recommended.

Don't worry about the bop at all. I feel like getting the freshers to dress up is almost a prank, and absolutely nobody cares if your ensemble isn't spectacular. By the end of the year, we had about 30% turnout on bops, and maybe a quarter of attendees actually dressed up.

That's good to hear :smile: I guess I'll wing it then :smile: Are balls very frequent in Oxford?

It's a relief to hear that :smile: I'm not really one for dressing up (perks of being an introvert) but I suppose as long as I try to join in it doesn't really matter :smile: How often do they normally hold bops?
Sounds like Hogwarts
Original post by mishieru07
I imagine you could wear a smart female pantsuit for black tie if you aren't comfortable with dresses, with a black bow tie for good measure - it would look very similar to male black tie, so you wouldn't stick out at all. I have been told that there is a difference between usual work suits and black tie suits though, so you might want to check that yours qualifies as black tie.

As for formals, it varies a lot depending on college (mine was pretty relaxed, particularly on weekdays, so people routinely showed up in jeans/ shorts/ t-shirts). Even if it is formal (eg suit + tie or equivalent), I'm sure you could wear pants or a skirt, coupled with a blouse. Anything that looks smart would be acceptable.

For sub fusc, you can definitely wear pants, so long as it's dark. Remember to have a pair of black shoes (and dark socks, should you choose to wear those).

People tend not to be fussed about attire unless you underdress or overdress significantly (eg wearing pajamas to a formal). I'd say wear whatever you want, and smart pants/ skirts are definitely fine. You don't have to wear a dress, and I suspect people won't care one bit.

I'm probably going to go for something like that and I'll make sure to check the difference :smile: I guess for formals you can be a bit more creative which is nice to hear.

For the sub fusc, I known you have to fill in a form to order it however, do you receive the Commoners gown etc when you arrive in Oxford or do you pick it up before you go? Also, do undergraduates need to buy the mortar board or soft cap?

That's good, smart skirt/ pants it is :smile:
I have absolutely no fashion sense and therefore cannot offer any constructive advice - I'm only here to offer you my hearty congratulations! Which subject will you be studying?

All the best for whatever the future brings for you. :h::h:
Original post by nexttime
Black tie events are not very often.

Phew :wink: I should probably stop stressing then :smile:
Original post by ovo_zverit
Sounds like Hogwarts

It is ha ha :smile: Now all I need to decide is whether to take an owl, a cat or a toad :wink:
Original post by Banana00
I have absolutely no fashion sense and therefore cannot offer any constructive advice - I'm only here to offer you my hearty congratulations! Which subject will you be studying?

All the best for whatever the future brings for you. :h::h:

That's alright :smile: Aww thank you so much. All that stress was worth it in the end :smile: I'll be studying biological sciences. What about you?
Go as a naughty nurse, be a devil.
Sounds like Hogwarts

More like prison.
It is ha ha :smile: Now all I need to decide is whether to take an owl, a cat or a toad :wink:

Haha, don't forget your wand tho! ;D
Haha, don't forget your wand tho! ;D

Definitely haha XD

Quick Reply