The Student Room Group

Met my Durham offer after remark - offered place for 2017 entry?

Hey,
After getting my successful remark today I've met my A *AA chemistry offer at Durham with A *AAA but they've now got no places and so I've been put on the waiting list for 2016 entry (i.e. no chance of a place) and offered a place for 2017.My insurance is Bath which I could go to in for 2016 entry, but I'm not sure what accommodation I may get (if any) and there's only the scraps left.Any advice? Worth holding out for Durham? I think I might regret it if I don't take the offer :/
Original post by itsConnor_
Hey,
After getting my successful remark today I've met my A *AA chemistry offer at Durham with A *AAA but they've now got no places and so I've been put on the waiting list for 2016 entry (i.e. no chance of a place) and offered a place for 2017.My insurance is Bath which I could go to in for 2016 entry, but I'm not sure what accommodation I may get (if any) and there's only the scraps left.Any advice? Worth holding out for Durham? I think I might regret it if I don't take the offer :/

Do you want to go to Bath, will you be happy there? If Durham is where you're really wanting to go to then I'd accept 2017 entry and spend the year earning money/travelling/work experience.
Hey,

Waiting list for 2016 entry? Is that for if someone turns down their place at last minute?
Reply 3
Original post by bluemoonday
Waiting list for 2016 entry? Is that for if someone turns down their place at last minute?

I guess? Pretty sure there's zero chance of getting a place from it :/
Reply 4
Why don't you ring Durham up and ask about the probability of getting into 2016? Explain your predicament and your interest in Bath and they may be a bit more lenient.

If not I would take a year out and use it to gain experiences like travelling and to earn some money.
I guess? Pretty sure there's zero chance of getting a place from it :/

Sometimes people decide to take gap years, and international students may have visa problems, or realise at the last moment that they can't afford it.

I'd ask where you are on the waiting list, how many people are on your course and what they think your chances are.
Reply 6
Original post by Han-
Why don't you ring Durham up and ask about the probability of getting into 2016? Explain your predicament and your interest in Bath and they may be a bit more lenient.

If not I would take a year out and use it to gain experiences like travelling and to earn some money.

I rang them this morning and they told me to email them, sounds like it's all dealt with pretty strictly and wouldn't be able to get bumped up in the waiting list. On results day we rang them also and they said they had met their quota, so aren't taking more this year basically..
:smile:
Original post by Origami Bullets
Sometimes people decide to take gap years, and international students may have visa problems, or realise at the last moment that they can't afford it.

I'd ask where you are on the waiting list, how many people are on your course and what they think your chances are.

That might be an idea, but I think that would help me decide between Bath and Durham for 2016, when now I'm thinking a gap year isn't too bad if I want to go to Durham
Hey,

Durham have a history of doing this. It's unfair but sadly it has happened a lot. I don't have experience of either university, but Bath is a wonderful city and an amazing place to visit (and live, I've heard). It's a great university as well and I think their accommodation is all fairly similar. Also you get a placement year which is a massive bonus!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

That might be an idea, but I think that would help me decide between Bath and Durham for 2016, when now I'm thinking a gap year isn't too bad if I want to go to Durham

Ultimately I think you should decide whats more important - going to uni this year, or going to Durham! A gap year (with a guaranteed uni place at the end of it) doesn't sound too shabby :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Edminzodo
Durham have a history of doing this. It's unfair but sadly it has happened a lot. I don't have experience of either university, but Bath is a wonderful city and an amazing place to visit (and live, I've heard). It's a great university as well and I think their accommodation is all fairly similar. Also you get a placement year which is a massive bonus!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath is a great city and uni, but the accommodation is a bit of a worry because my first choice is the only accommodation in Bath that doesn't have a cleaner and its shared bathroom/toilet and then I might be given accommodation in the city (not on campus) which I think would find really difficult to deal with, with everyone else being on-campus (and I might have to get private accommodation worst case scenario). Then again I pretty much had accepted that I would end up going to Bath and was ok with it, but now I have 'another chance' with Durham..
Wow I can't believe Durham are allowed to get away with this, hardly a student's fault if their paper is marked incorrectly
Original post by howitoughttobe
Wow I can't believe Durham are allowed to get away with this, hardly a student's fault if their paper is marked incorrectly

Yeah I think it's basically because they "met their quota" on results day and didn't need anymore students.....although if I had the correct mark on results day I would have place for 2016, so its frustrating. Just relieved my remark was successful and have a place if I want it tbh
Try Bristol and Warwick. Call them up, they may let you in and they're also fantastic for Chemistry! They're basically the same as Durham too. Good luck!
Original post by AgnesDioxide
Try Bristol and Warwick. Call them up, they may let you in and they're also fantastic for Chemistry! They're basically the same as Durham too. Good luck!

I think I'm just going to take a gap year and go to Durham. I think I'd regret it if i didnt

Posted from TSR Mobile
The right decision. Well done.

Use your year out well. Do a wide variety of things - fend for yourself - travel - work in menial jobs - volunteer in poor countries - see different cultures - widen your outlook - and, above all, welcome change (you will change).

In October 2017, you will hardly know the you of now. And that is how it should be.

Fear it - enjoy it, but DO IT.
A friend had a successful remark, notified Durham correctly, and before 31 August, but still no decision. It is 5 September, but there has been a weekend in between. So just three working days since the deadline. This does not seem very long to me. However, friend anxious. Is there any need for anxiety?
Original post by Tanfoyn Ponsniff
A friend had a successful remark, notified Durham correctly, and before 31 August, but still no decision. It is 5 September, but there has been a weekend in between. So just three working days since the deadline. This does not seem very long to me. However, friend anxious. Is there any need for anxiety?

Yes, because Durham are notorious for treating applicants badly.
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes, because Durham are notorious for treating applicants badly.

Do you know how long Durham offer holders have waited in previous years for a decision after successful remarks?
Original post by Tanfoyn Ponsniff
Do you know how long Durham offer holders have waited in previous years for a decision after successful remarks?

Get your friend to contact this person https://www.dur.ac.uk/directory/profile/?id=7599

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending