The Student Room Group

Interested in becoming a 3D Animator.

TL;DR - BTEC or A-Level for Computer/3D Animation

Hey guys! I'm interested in pursuing 3D Animation as a career, but I'm unsure if I should I take a Level 3 BTEC for it. There are one or two colleges nearby which offer BTECs for it, but only Level 3.

At first I was interested in getting a Creative and Digital Media apprenticeship, but there are very few of them and they're all really far from where I live. So, I ultimately turned to either A Levels or a BTEC. A Level 3 BTEC in animation will allow me too have a lot more hands on time with computer animation, but the problem is that I can only take animation, and it'll be the only thing I do for two years, so, if I screw up, that's it.. Now, on the other hand, I could take cinematograph or something else which will help with animation, but I won't get any more hands on time with animation, and I'll be restricted too what I can do at home.

I've heard that certain BTECs can be, well, crap, and that it's seen as an option that stupid people take. I've posted this to ask if taking a BTEC in Animation is a stupid option, pretty much.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheHumanBean
TL;DR - BTEC or A-Level for Computer/3D Animation

Hey guys! I'm interested in pursuing 3D Animation as a career, but I'm unsure if I should I take a Level 3 BTEC for it. There are one or two colleges nearby which offer BTECs for it, but only Level 3.

At first I was interested in getting a Creative and Digital Media apprenticeship, but there are very few of them and they're all really far from where I live. So, I ultimately turned to either A Levels or a BTEC. A Level 3 BTEC in animation will allow me too have a lot more hands on time with computer animation, but the problem is that I can only take animation, and it'll be the only thing I do for two years, so, if I screw up, that's it.. Now, on the other hand, I could take cinematograph or something else which will help with animation, but I won't get any more hands on time with animation, and I'll be restricted too what I can do at home.

I've heard that certain BTECs can be, well, crap, and that it's seen as an option that stupid people take. I've posted this to ask if taking a BTEC in Animation is a stupid option, pretty much.

I think you would be better off doing BTEC Level 3 IT because then you can actually do many things and my college teaches 2 or 3 units on animation. You need to check the units with your college (the college has 60 units to choose from)

Also, I want to mention that BTEC IT involves fair bit of programming so you should be prepared to do some programming as well.

In my opinion BTEC IT is one of the toughest BTEC Level 3 qualifications because there is a lot of coursework. I have finished my first year with D*D* and my coursework was in total 658 pages so in order to get a decent grade you must be willing to work and keep to deadlines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending