The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello I am seeing on here that students are hoping to do A- level maths with a B grade. I am a maths teacher and I believe that to be a big mistake. I would say those students who just scrape an A, may also not be technically strong enough to do a level maths.

A level maths is an extreme step up from GCSE maths, more so than you can imagine, and I have seen countless students get U and E grades when they had a B coming into it.

Think long and hard if A-level maths really is for you.

Best of luck for results all
Original post by aztecqueen
Hopefully u get the grades you want good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

aha thanks although all I really want is a A* in history and English lit considering those are my A-level choices and I really couldn't give a single **** about any of the sciences or maths
I'm dreading seeing the teachers tomorrow
Original post by Deangibbs91
Hello I am seeing on here that students are hoping to do A- level maths with a B grade. I am a maths teacher and I believe that to be a big mistake. I would say those students who just scrape an A, may also not be technically strong enough to do a level maths.

A level maths is an extreme step up from GCSE maths, more so than you can imagine, and I have seen countless students get U and E grades when they had a B coming into it.

Wouldn't if depend on the amount of work they put in? Because many people who get Bs on TSR go on to get As with hard work
And some people generally do not take gcse seriously or are not mature enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4544
Original post by Cream77
Did anyone do the igcse English Cambridge exam?

Yeah , I did
Original post by Re.sa
Yeah , I did

Do you know what the grade boundaries are?

I have a friend who got a C in Maths GCSE who then took it at A-level and achieved an A so it's not impossible, but all A-levels are such a huge step up from GCSE I didn't realise what I was in for at the time!
Original post by elizabetht96
I have a friend who got a C in Maths GCSE who then took it at A-level and achieved an A so it's not impossible, but all A-levels are such a huge step up from GCSE I didn't realise what I was in for at the time!

That's really good it's all about if u put in more effort and try super hard then u get the result
If you tried your hardest and got maybe less than a high B/A and didn't understand the A/A* stuff at GCSE then I would RECOMMEND you not to take a level maths but to be honest anything is possible so just do whatever you think you can

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elizabetht96

Hi Elizabeth, that is very true it is possible, a good friend of mine got a B in his GCSE and then got a A* at A-level, there is exceptions to the rule, however the common consensus is that you really need to be technically strong.

A level maths involves a lot of differentiation and integration which will seriously test your algebra skills so these have to be exceptionally strong .
This sweltering heat doesn't help with the wait for results tomorrow.

I don't think this is an entirely fair comment, and is more up to the student's actual teacher as to whether they can cope with the course. The student themselves will also know if they are willing to put the effort in the improve.
I don't think A level maths should be discouraged for people with A/B grades, anyone can have a bad day in the exam anyway
Also if anyone has any questions about the following a levels (business,economics, maths) I would be happy to answer any questions and also for anyone thinking about doing economics at degree level.

I know you have people you can speak to within schools for this but just in case anyone wants any extra information I would be happy to help.
Original post by Cream77
Anyone here do edexcel science,additional and further?

Yep
Good luck everyone :smile:
Also if anyone has any questions about the following a levels (business,economics, maths) I would be happy to answer any questions and also for anyone thinking about doing economics at degree level.

I know you have people you can speak to within schools for this but just in case anyone wants any extra information I would be happy to help.

Message you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4556
Original post by Cream77
Do you know what the grade boundaries are?

I'll try to send you the link 😊
Me and my friends had a party last night to take our mind off of everything hahah, It was like 5am and we still hadn't slept and i remembered about grade boundaries being released so we all sat there looking like a mess reading the grade boundaries and trying to reassure each other lol.

Still haven't had any sleep, at least I'll sleep well tonight! I'm just so excited to find out what I got!!
OHHH and that beauty of a p3 A* boundary, thank the lorddd
Original post by Re.sa
I'll try to send you the link 😊

Can you send it to me please?

Latest