The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Accounting and Finance is overrated
Original post by CharlieGEM
I looked at moving to Germany and found the reputed higher salaries must be skewed by the number of engineers in management as they certainly weren't doubling the UK rates from my anecdotal experience.

When I looked this up €80k was about £60k so it wasn't exactly double but I found this from websites that had salary statistics from various different jobs in various different countries so I reckon it was pretty accurate.
Original post by SunnysideSea
Oh the ignorance. If you'd read what I said carefully, you'd have seen that I mention how the pool of graduates is whittled down. Latin is bloody hard, Ancient Greek is... Have you seen ancient greek? For A level not only are there a few thousand words of vocab to learn, reels of grammar tables to memorise and pages of literaure to know off by heart, it doesn't even use our letters for god's sake. As such, the number of people doing classic languages is whittled down and down and down. How many people do you know doing both Latin and Ancient Greek A Level? Exactly. They have 200 applications because there are only 200 people in the country good enough, and they have 100 places to fill, hence the high acceptance ratio. And, no, with a BA Oxon in Classics, doors open for you in MC Law firms, investment banks, the top levels of the Civil Service, programming, accountancy... The works. Perhaps you couldn't be an engineer or a doctor. That's about it. Why am I even arguing for this? It's a degree for members of the ruling class to assert their dominance with. Perhaps they're secretly happy that people like you don't even know what they're up to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://m.unistats.ac.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007774FT-Q800/ReturnTo/Search

While I perhaps underestimated it's quality, it seems comparable to other degrees from other good universities. It doesn't seem to, based off stats, open doors to the firms you've mentioned.

Memorisation, again, doesn't make you "among the brightest minds". It's not a coincidence that most of the people considered among the brightest in history were physicists/mathematicians eg Einstein, Da Vinci etc.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
http://m.unistats.ac.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007774FT-Q800/ReturnTo/Search

While I perhaps underestimated it's quality, it seems comparable to other degrees from other good universities. It doesn't seem to, based off stats, open doors to the firms you've mentioned.

Memorisation, again, doesn't make you "among the brightest minds". It's not a coincidence that most of the people considered among the brightest in history were physicists/mathematicians eg Einstein, Da Vinci etc.

You know stats are based off of what people choose to do and not what they could do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
how can a degree be overrated? kind of a weird thing to overrate, seeing as everyone's experience is different and there's no set outcome for anything ever
Original post by tanyapotter
how can a degree be overrated? kind of a weird thing to overrate, seeing as everyone's experience is different and there's no set outcome for anything ever

I think in this instance, it means a degree, by those non-privy to how things work, that is perceived to lead to direct employment success for everyone doing that degree when in actuality it's not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You know stats are based off of what people choose to do and not what they could do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who wouldn't want to get into those firms though? Surely on 9/10 occasions you're going to try and get the best opportunities you can. It's unlikely that they just decided to get a decent desk job without trying out any other ambitious choices first.
I think in this instance, it means a degree, by those non-privy to how things work, that is perceived to lead to direct employment success for everyone doing that degree when in actuality it's not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why have so many people cited medicine as the most overrated degree? it does lead to direct employment success..
Original post by tanyapotter
why have so many people cited medicine as the most overrated degree? it does lead to direct employment success..

Dunno, they're using a different set of factors to judge.. Hence the rote memorisation vs not argument taking place atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who wouldn't want to get into those firms though? Surely on 9/10 occasions you're going to try and get the best opportunities you can. It's unlikely that they just decided to get a decent desk job without trying out any other ambitious choices first.

Actually, that is highly likely and arts/humanities grads are more susceptible to doing this than stem/business/econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually, that is highly likely and arts/humanities grads are more susceptible to doing this than stem/business/econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would've thought the "brightest minds" of Oxford would've been more ambitious, but never mind.
Most over rated degree, imo, is Law and Economics...and Medicine
I did a law degree at a top university, but would generally agree that the degree is overrated with regards to what it does for your career prospects. The only benefits that I can see from the degree, that you don't get from other rigorous arts degrees, is that you can paralegal lol.

I'm guessing the demographics on this forum are pretty young, but I'm not sure that 'the amount of spots in magic circle firms should be used as a marker for the merits of the degree. You can get a first class law degree from Oxford and decide that the magic circle is not your kind of environment, or they may make that decision for you.

Unlike accountancy, there are many top law firms who can provide you with almost everything that's on offer from the magic circle. It's not a case of the magic circle and then a cesspit of mediocrity.

I can only liken it to judging someone's success in finance on whether they work in the front office of Goldman Sachs.
Law.Too many lawyers around ,simple as that. Many years ago,there were groups to help people get into the best units to study law just as many schools have medicine and oxbridge groups,but they are gone now.The market for lawyers is too saturated.
Would've thought the "brightest minds" of Oxford would've been more ambitious, but never mind.

They are, but ambition does not always equate to prestigious grad job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gender studies
Original post by erj2018

I can only liken it to judging someone's success in finance on whether they work in the front office of Goldman Sachs.

Same type of herd mentality there towards 'bulge bracket' banks and 'elite boutiques'. It's not too dissimilar to the Magic Circle, top tier US and the Silver Circle (pun intended) circlejerk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say psychology. The amount of people who applied to psychology from my college for this year was massive. I feel like for a lot of people it's a degree that you take if you don't exactly know what to do but you still want to do a science degree and for that reason psychology is oversubscribed.For some jobs however eg psychologist, psychology is necessary.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I would say psychology. The amount of people who applied to psychology from my college for this year was massive. I feel like for a lot of people it's a degree that you take if you don't exactly know what to do but you still want to do a science degree and for that reason psychology is oversubscribed.For some jobs however eg psychologist, psychology is necessary.

Yep, and you can't even practice psychology without further study just like economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
those computing degrees that are lacking in mathematical content.....

Latest

Trending

Trending