The Student Room Group

Legacy Resits Question

So things are a little complicated for me currently as the whole A levels system is changing, but I'll do my best to try and keep my question simple:
Background info: So I received my A level results last year in 2015 and left with 2 Es in Physics and Chemistry, and a C in Biology. Having achieved all A*s and As at GCSE (and an A in AS Biology), this was quite a shock to me. Rather than resitting that year, I panicked and attended a university that had poor graduate prospects on a foundation year that I eventually left because I wanted to do something that would allow me to attend a better university.
So my question is: Firstly, am I able to resit the legacy exams this year?, (I heard that there would be one final legacy resit opportunity for 2017), and secondly, would I have to resit both AS and A2 for a completely new A-level grade or would it be possible for me to just take the A2 legacy exams and add that to my 2015 AS grade?I apologise if my question is a little confusing. Any information/help would be appreciated, even if you have any idea of who I could talk to in order to find out answers to my questions. Thanks a bunch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Eriu
am I able to resit the legacy exams this year?

Yes

Original post by Eriu
would I have to resit both AS and A2 for a completely new A-level grade or would it be possible for me to just take the A2 legacy exams and add that to my 2015 AS grade?.

It's not 100% clear so check with the relevant exam board. If you have to change to the new spec then you wouldn't have to take AS and A2 as such but just the 3 units that now make up an A level.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Yes

It's not 100% clear so check with the relevant exam board. If you have to change to the new spec then you wouldn't have to take AS and A2 as such but just the 3 units that now make up an A level.

Thanks. So with the new spec could you take any subject and just sit the A2 exams after one year? That seems convenient as I may be studying as a private candidate this year with new a levels
Reply 3
Original post by Eriu
Thanks. So with the new spec could you take any subject and just sit the A2 exams after one year? That seems convenient as I may be studying as a private candidate this year with new a levels

A2 as a concept has gone. At the end of an A level you sit the A level papers which cover the whole A level syllabus. There are are 3 for each subject, one of which might be coursework. For Science there are also some assessed practicals which do not contribute to your mark but have to be done.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
A2 as a concept has gone. At the end of an A level you sit the A level papers which cover the whole A level syllabus. There are are 3 for each subject, one of which might be coursework. For Science there are also some assessed practicals which do not contribute to your mark but have to be done.

Ah I see, I'm assuming I would be able to carry those experiments out at an approved exam centre anyway. I will phone the exam board and have an in depth discussion about all the changes that are to come and what they recommend for private candidates. Thanks a lot for your help, I feel less lost in my confusion now lol.
Reply 5
Original post by Eriu
Ah I see, I'm assuming I would be able to carry those experiments out at an approved exam centre anyway.

Sadly, that's likely to be really expensive. I'm not really sure how the new specs are going to work for private candidates.
Have you decided if you're sitting legacy papers? I am sitting chemistry, human biology and psychology as legacy papers as I was withdrawn from my A2 exams in summer due to illness!

Quick Reply

Latest