The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'd imagine it'd vary by school policy, and even then not that much. AFAIK some places include 1&2nd years in the EPM, and some don't, and I'd imagine resit marks are capped, so it would have an effect on that end (but the weightings would make it not too drastic even then I'd imagine). Same for iBScs if external and it's uber-competitive, then yeah, but if it's internal, I'd imagine it won't be too bad? And I believe some places don't even let you intercalate if you've failed something?

I gotta remember that box. Again.

And just to add, King's technically states that all year 2 exams need to be passed at first attempt, but they always accepted people who failed an odd exam here and there. Your mileage may vary, just remember.

Don't stress too much.

(though this is coming from the guy who didn't bother much once he found out EPMs didn't include the first two years... :ninja:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 261
Does anyone know if failing a first year med school exam will hinder you in your career/applying for intercerlated degrees?

For intercalated degrees that you need to apply for, it's likely to hinder - 1) will your medical school let you intercalate? and 2) particularly if you're applying externally for a BSc intercalation after 2nd year, you're likely to be applying with a transcript that only includes your first year grades (which would be a fail), which is a bit off-putting. If it's an 'internal' intercalation it might make less difference.

For your long-term career it makes no difference, but it will affect your EPM for FPAS but the impact it makes depends on your medical school. Not the end of the world though, probably only a small impact since it's 1st year.

e: I took this to mean failing 1st year (because here if you fail an exam you fail the year). If you mean you just failed one exam but still passed the year - it's not really that serious at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
On a similar topic - will repeating the year put me at a disadvantage when it comes to external applications for BSc's (I'm on a 6yr course and have to intercalate) and future job prospects? I am 2 years behind my cohort as I took a gap year and then repeated.

Also if I do apply for external BSc's / research placements etc. do I need to declare failing the year?

The year I repeated doesn't count towards the final degree for FPAS, just need to pass it to progress further.

Thanks
Reply 263
On a similar topic - will repeating the year put me at a disadvantage when it comes to external applications for BSc's (I'm on a 6yr course and have to intercalate) and future job prospects? I am 2 years behind my cohort as I took a gap year and then repeated.

Also if I do apply for external BSc's / research placements etc. do I need to declare failing the year?

The year I repeated doesn't count towards the final degree for FPAS, just need to pass it to progress further.

Thanks

Similar reply to what I posted above. You don't need to explicitly declare it but it will be obvious from the transcript and/or CV. The two years behind in themselves don't matter though.
Original post by Beska
Similar reply to what I posted above. You don't need to explicitly declare it but it will be obvious from the transcript and/or CV. The two years behind in themselves don't matter though.

Thanks very much for your reply!
Does anyone know if failing a first year med school exam will hinder you in your career/applying for intercerlated degrees?

At my medical school if you failed the year in year 1 or 2 and were required to resit you would be unlikely to get an internal BSc place, but it varies by medical school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wanted opinions/advice on an odd situation from placement.

A senior doctor was reviewing a patient on take, meeting them for the first time, with a junior doctor, patient's spouse and other students in the patient's side room. Senior did a history/exam and then recommended a treatment. Patient asks "is there any other option?" senior replies "Yes, you can pray. Do you have faith? Can I pray for you?" Patient agrees that the senior can, presumably thinking they'd add it to their list of people to pray for in whatever that senior's normal religious routine is.

The senior then lays their hands on the patients shoulders, bows their head, and as if they were the pope starts whispering thinks like "heavenly father, please take away this patient's [name of illness], amen".I thought that was a bit odd and felt very uncomfortable.

We later see another patient, and similar situation "heavenly father please take this patient's cancer away". Patient is discharged, no rx needed, but the senior says quite seriously "but you must go home and read the gospel" "it's important that you accept Jesus and the father into your heart" even though the patient was complaining they were really tired and wanted to go to bed as soon as they got in.I'm hesitant to report it because this senior was a lovely teacher, but that's not on is it?

I remember when I was in A&E a few months ago for something, the nurse there told me to pray about my condition. I am religious myself but even then, I felt quite uncomfortable tbh. I'd never do that.
Just read through a thread of school students and HCAs comparing medicine to A-level Biology on steroids only requiring memorisation; and suggesting that a minority of doctors having decent clinical and social skills. Kmt.

Original post by usycool1
I remember when I was in A&E a few months ago for something, the nurse there told me to pray about my condition. I am religious myself but even then, I felt quite uncomfortable tbh. I'd never do that.

Probs just assumed you were Muslim cos of how you look mate.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Just read through a thread of school students and HCAs comparing medicine to A-level Biology on steroids only requiring memorisation; and suggesting that a minority of doctors having decent clinical and social skills. Kmt.

Probs just assumed you were Muslim cos of how you look mate.

Ha, or my name :tongue:
Ha, or my name :tongue:

Both put together. :tongue:
Both put together. :tongue:

Also, how come you have Clearing and Applications Advisor next to your username still? What a fraud. :wink:
Also, how come you have Clearing and Applications Advisor next to your username still? What a fraud. :wink:

Cause I'm still an invaluable asset. I deserve it. xoxo

Even if that were the case, this year has taught me that my ability to remember useless facts for longer than 30 minutes is nigh on non-existent. Memorisation is hard!
Original post by MJK91
Even if that were the case, this year has taught me that my ability to remember useless facts for longer than 30 minutes is nigh on non-existent. Memorisation is hard!

Oh I'm superb at remembering useless facts, it's the useful stuff I struggle to remember! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wonder what would happen if I declare myself Pastafarian and start praying to the almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster at that point
Just wanted opinions/advice on an odd situation from placement.

A senior doctor was reviewing a patient on take, meeting them for the first time, with a junior doctor, patient's spouse and other students in the patient's side room. Senior did a history/exam and then recommended a treatment. Patient asks "is there any other option?" senior replies "Yes, you can pray. Do you have faith? Can I pray for you?" Patient agrees that the senior can, presumably thinking they'd add it to their list of people to pray for in whatever that senior's normal religious routine is.

The senior then lays their hands on the patients shoulders, bows their head, and as if they were the pope starts whispering thinks like "heavenly father, please take away this patient's [name of illness], amen".I thought that was a bit odd and felt very uncomfortable.

We later see another patient, and similar situation "heavenly father please take this patient's cancer away". Patient is discharged, no rx needed, but the senior says quite seriously "but you must go home and read the gospel" "it's important that you accept Jesus and the father into your heart" even though the patient was complaining they were really tired and wanted to go to bed as soon as they got in.I'm hesitant to report it because this senior was a lovely teacher, but that's not on is it?

What is your aim if you were to report it? Did he force anyone to pray with him? Did he forcefully pray for anyone? If it made you feel uncomfortable, you could have very easily excused yourself. I'm pretty sure he didn't ask you to be part of the prayers did he? The patients in question wanted the prayers. The senior doctor in question did ask if they would like him to pray with them. I don't see what the fuss is about.
Original post by Bunicornaces
What is your aim if you were to report it? Did he force anyone to pray with him? Did he forcefully pray for anyone? If it made you feel uncomfortable, you could have very easily excused yourself. I'm pretty sure he didn't ask you to be part of the prayers did he? The patients in question wanted the prayers. The senior doctor in question did ask if they would like him to pray with them. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Did you miss the bit about it all being instigated by the doctor and not solicited by the patients? :confused:
Original post by Bunicornaces

Well, they could have just been saying yes to be polite rather than actually wanting the prayers. It's bad practice imo - personal religious beliefs shouldn't come into how patients are treated. I remember how uncomfortable I felt when I was a patient in that situation.
Well, they could have just been saying yes to be polite rather than actually wanting the prayers. It's bad practice imo - personal religious beliefs shouldn't come into how patients are treated. I remember how uncomfortable I felt when I was a patient in that situation.

Did the patient receive poor treatment though? Was the patient's medical treatment any different?

I think we are too quick to separate religion and religious beliefs from medicine. And I am saying that as a non believer. (Always need that disclaimer) Doctors and patients alike have different belief systems. We are only human after all.

We don't know what kind of relationship the doctor had with the patient before. Maybe faith came up in previous times. And they realised they had shared belief.

It sucks that this person felt uncomfortable, but it was a moment between the doctor treating the patient and the patient themselves +/- the family.
Again, stating as a non believer.
Original post by Newtothis83
Did the patient receive poor treatment though? Was the patient's medical treatment any different?

I think we are too quick to separate religion and religious beliefs from medicine. And I am saying that as a non believer. (Always need that disclaimer) Doctors and patients alike have different belief systems. We are only human after all.

We don't know what kind of relationship the doctor had with the patient before. Maybe faith came up in previous times. And they realised they had shared belief.

It sucks that this person felt uncomfortable, but it was a moment between the doctor treating the patient and the patient themselves +/- the family.
Again, stating as a non believer.

Fair enough - I can see what you're saying :yy: I assumed it was the first time they met. *

Quick Reply