The Student Room Group

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - I met my offer and got into medical school!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Not sure if I belong in this thread. I missed my conditional offer by 2 IB points :/ my finals didnt go as planned due to many distractions. Planning on resitting boards and applying again but im worried as my IB resits are in November but i have to apply in October and Ill have to give in my un proud of final grades. Can someone suggest what I can do to convince universities to give me a chance and give a conditional for my resit grades which come in the first week of Jan?
So happy I got into Liverpool! 3 A*s were not expected....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Hey guys!

Hoping for some advice from current medical students. I got into medicine but I am really worried about the workload and just medical school in general. What advice would you guys give on managing workload and the ways you guys find most effective for studying? Do you also have any tips for starting medical school? Stuff you guys wish you had known before starting?

Thanks so much in advance <3
I would spend the rest of my life thanking you if you help me with this!!!!!!

I want to study medicine, but didn't meet any offers and got ABC, but got a biomed offer from Warwick. I've heard it's possible to transfer into medicine after 1st year or 2nd year, is this true? If it's true, after studying the 1st or 2nd year, where can I apply to transfer?????

Thanks so much
Original post by Gman786
I got into ucl medicine too. I got ABBB i dont know how but im soooo excited!!!

which subjects did you do for A2 and what did you get for ur gcses? if you dont mind me asking lol
Reply 45
Original post by uwaseem
Hey guys!

Hoping for some advice from current medical students. I got into medicine but I am really worried about the workload and just medical school in general. What advice would you guys give on managing workload and the ways you guys find most effective for studying? Do you also have any tips for starting medical school? Stuff you guys wish you had known before starting?

Nobody is honest about how hard they're working, how much they're struggling, or how depressed they are. It's normal to seriously doubt if you've made the right decision doing medicine. Studying medicine does not make you special or better than anyone else. Deciles don't matter. Don't compare yourself to others. Work/life balance is the most important thing you will learn during your degree. P for point S for shoot
Hi do you need a B in english language for medicine or for most good degrees?
Reply 47
Original post by 11alexandru-kore
Hi do you need a B in english language for medicine or for most good degrees?

For medicine - GCSE Eng Lang grade B would be needed. A few take C but at least a B would keep your options open
Reply 48
Original post by theboss1998
Thanks. I had a question, I am just a little bit nervous about starting Med School, as in terms of being social with everybody. How can I make friends easily? How can I overcome that little bit of shyness? Hopefully you get what I am trying to say!

Thanks and congrats to everybody else!

Welll done!! Im sure you'll make some good friends. I want to apply next year and was wondering what university you're going too and what you're GCSE and A Level results are?
Thank you
Reply 49
Original post by Arya150
Welll done!! Im sure you'll make some good friends. I want to apply next year and was wondering what university you're going too and what you're GCSE and A Level results are?
Thank you

Id be grateful to anyone else who can contribute to this as I'm looking to apply. Thanks guys
University of Birmingham
GCSE: 4A* 6A 3B
AS: AAAAA
A2: A*A*AAA
Got into Barts with A*A*A*AA so excited for freshers!
Original post by Arya150
Id be grateful to anyone else who can contribute to this as I'm looking to apply. Thanks guys

Wrong thread for these questions. Have a look at the "am i good enough for medicine" thread or the other ones on the medicine page for applicants. This is for offer holders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
I'm off to Glasgow! Can't wait.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Bit late on the thread but.. after missing my AAA HYMS offer with A*AB, I rang up Sheffield who offered me an interview on Tuesday 23rd Aug (they originally rejected me pre-interview) and the next day they offered me a place to start this year!! Wooooop
Reply 55
Original post by sumeyyatontus
Bit late on the thread but.. after missing my AAA HYMS offer with A*AB, I rang up Sheffield who offered me an interview on Tuesday 23rd Aug (they originally rejected me pre-interview) and the next day they offered me a place to start this year!! Wooooop

Hey! Good to hear from you again! I remember a few months back when you got one of the last HYMS offers! Sorry to hear that you didn't meet the offer but happy to hear that you got in to Sheffield! Congrats :smile:
Original post by JayAhm
Hey! Good to hear from you again! I remember a few months back when you got one of the last HYMS offers! Sorry to hear that you didn't meet the offer but happy to hear that you got in to Sheffield! Congrats :smile:

Thank you!! Turns out my B was a blessing in disguise because I secretly preferred Sheffield all along :wink:

Are you off to HYMS?
Original post by uwaseem
Hey guys!

I'm a 5th year medical student at UCL and I hate it. I'm considering leaving university at this stage to pursue my real dreams. I entered medical school because I had the grades and it was supposedly the most challenging prestigious course there is. These are terrible reasons to start medical school. So first of all, be completely 100% sure you want to be a doctor and nothing else. I have to make that clear. You only have one life, make sure this is exactly what you want to do.
Provided you are definitely sure, dont concern yourself with studying too much in first year, it means **** all. I crammed in my first year and passed in the top decile. The rest of the time was spent going out and making friends. To study effectively at medical school use Anki. I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you use it well itll put you miles ahead of your peers with minimal effort.
DO NOT copy everything the lecturer is saying in first year and second year. Just sit there and listen if you bother going in. I didn't bother going to lectures and found it works far better, but you work out what works best for you. Use the lecture slides and in the evenings or on a weekend create your anki flashcards but make them short and sweet
e.g. "Injury to the posterior inferior frontal gyrus leads to what type of language deficit?" ANS- expressive aphasia (Broca's aphasia)DO NOT copy out massive passages of text into your anki cards. Download the phone app and flick through your cards each day, itll hardly feel like working and the material will slip into your long term memory as smooth as iceeee while your colleagues are spending hours of their naive lives in the library making reams of notes. Dam i have so much advice its unreal
Reply 58
Original post by Pantha66
I'm a 5th year medical student at UCL and I hate it. I'm considering leaving university at this stage to pursue my real dreams. I entered medical school because I had the grades and it was supposedly the most challenging prestigious course there is. These are terrible reasons to start medical school. So first of all, be completely 100% sure you want to be a doctor and nothing else. I have to make that clear. You only have one life, make sure this is exactly what you want to do.
Provided you are definitely sure, dont concern yourself with studying too much in first year, it means **** all. I crammed in my first year and passed in the top decile. The rest of the time was spent going out and making friends. To study effectively at medical school use Anki. I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you use it well itll put you miles ahead of your peers with minimal effort.
DO NOT copy everything the lecturer is saying in first year and second year. Just sit there and listen if you bother going in. I didn't bother going to lectures and found it works far better, but you work out what works best for you. Use the lecture slides and in the evenings or on a weekend create your anki flashcards but make them short and sweet
e.g. "Injury to the posterior inferior frontal gyrus leads to what type of language deficit?" ANS- expressive aphasia (Broca's aphasia)DO NOT copy out massive passages of text into your anki cards. Download the phone app and flick through your cards each day, itll hardly feel like working and the material will slip into your long term memory as smooth as iceeee while your colleagues are spending hours of their naive lives in the library making reams of notes. Dam i have so much advice its unreal

I'm so sorry to hear that you aren't happy studying medicine :frown: i hope it all works out for you! But dont worry though, being a Dr is literally all i want in life. Thanks so much for the advice i'll definitely use anki! Anything other advice you want to share? Thanks so much💕
Original post by Pantha66

Thanks for the advice.
What about mindmaps? Are they any useful?

Good luck with your final year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending