The Student Room Group

French police force woman to take off clothes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by s4b3rt00th
Just because it's against the law, it doesn't mean it's right.

Would you expect Islamic countries to bend their social/cultural norms to accommodate Christianity or Westerners?
Reply 61
Original post by RivalPlayer
Yeah, looking at the pictures, it really does look like the other people 'fessed her up to the police. But she's still on the beach among other Westerners despite the prevailing sentiment. She could easily lock herself away and be around her own people. I mean would a Muslim woman with extremist views really be sleeping/relaxing on a beach among so many scantily clad people in a country like France?

She was a few meters away from the place where a follower of the same religion as her killed 86 people last month. Given the context, I think that we could expect a low profile on the issue for at least a few months. It would show that Muslims are also capable of making efforts.

The fact that the photograph took a picture of her before the arrival of the police makes me think that the event could have been staged, in order to take some good photos of the "oppression" faced by Muslims there.

Original post by RivalPlayer

France has a problem with integration.

Only with Muslims. The millions of Poles, Italians, Spaniards, Chinese, Jews, or Black Africans (from Christian countries) that have come to France over the last century have had no assimilation problem.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Would you expect Islamic countries to bend their social/cultural norms to accommodate Christianity or Westerners?

Everyone should be able to wear whatever they please in whatever country they are in.
Original post by s4b3rt00th
Everyone should be able to wear whatever they please in whatever country they are in.

Except that will never happen.
Reply 64
France is a *****y place to live in, and I'm glad I'm moving away in two weeks because I cannot put up with the utter ******** french society deems acceptable in the name of "laicity".
Reply 65
Original post by SMEGGGY
She should have refused, been arrested and gone to court to contest being forced to strip so she can bee oogled by passers & Police

Posted from TSR Mobile

People don't "oogle" women that just show their hair, as she was required.

You can't implement your so called social cultural norms as you please. Sikhs fought for the liberation of France when the surender monkeys gave it tp the Nazis. Sikh soldiers wore turbans, hypocritically this was accepted then but if the french ban them now, they'll feel the wrath trust me.

Here Muslims are targetted, the more they push the more the fantics will be empowered. Carry on France and any other country....

Posted from TSR Mobile
The rule is ridiculous; it doesn't target other identical (functionally) types of dress, thus I find it hard to defend.

The thread title, however, is rather hyperbolic ("force woman to take off clothes" is rather different than asking a woman to comply with a law against a full body covering).
This is disgraceful. Totally against liberal values which embrace and promote multiculturalism and freedom to express your religion however you please. We don't ban any other form of dress based on what it is believed to "represent" or if it offends people, so why pick on these women?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SMEGGGY
You can't implement your so called social cultural norms as you please. Sikhs fought for the liberation of France when the surender monkeys gave it tp the Nazis. Sikh soldiers wore turbans, hypocritically this was accepted then but if the french ban them now, they'll feel the wrath trust me.

Here Muslims are targetted, the more they push the more the fantics will be empowered. Carry on France and any other country....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Muslims seem to have done so in the West until now, why would it be any different?

Awful analogy. We have always had strong connections with the Sikh community thanks to the Empire. It's not Sikhism which is causing controversy in the West. By and large, Sikhs are peaceful people who integrate easily and have strong ties to the West.

Islam does not.
Reply 70
Original post by teenhorrorstory

Absolutely despicable. I don't understand how people can argue this is acceptable. The same people who defend France in the name of their 'secularism' criticise the likes of Iran and Saudi. (picture showing woman in Iran confronted by police for dressing 'too revealing' )

Also her clothing doesn't even resemble the burkini which was banned(wrongfully imo). The French police just wanted to target a Muslim woman and express their bigotry through supposed justification. Onlookers were clapping and shouting at the Muslim woman to 'go home' while the woman and her child were crying.

Oh really, were you there....... People on the photos look quite upset, can't see them clapping happily.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
This is disgraceful. Totally against liberal values which embrace and promote multiculturalism and freedom to express your religion however you please.

This is not a freedom I am aware of...

We don't allow the adhan (Muslim call to prayer) or for Sharia law to govern relations of Muslim communities, so clearly we do not accept such a 'freedom' (and nor should we).
Reply 72
Original post by kiwi94
France is a *****y place to live in, and I'm glad I'm moving away in two weeks because I cannot put up with the utter ******** french society deems acceptable in the name of "laicity".

Yes, a country with free education, universities and healthcare, generous benefits, guaranteed minimum income, subsided public transports, subsided rent for people with low income, etc. is a *****y place to live in. Terrible. That's probably why only 212,000 non-EU migrants went to France last year (and I'm only speaking of legal immigration).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Josb
Yes, a country with free education, universities and healthcare, generous benefits, guaranteed minimum income, subsided public transports, subsided rent for people with low income, etc. is a *****y place to live in. Terrible. That's probably why only 212,000 non-EU migrants went to France last year (and I'm only speaking of legal immigration).

these advantages don't matter to me when I'm being discriminated against for being an arab muslim. It's really difficult for me to find a flat to rent, even though I have good references and people who earn large amounts backed me up, but some landlords straight up told me " we don't like arabs" , I was also told by a teacher when I was 12 that I was a nasty thug arab girl from the ghetto ( couldn't be further from the truth, as I live in a nice neighbourhood, and my mom wouldn't let me go out of the neighbourhood on my own until I was 15, but clichés, you know?) I was also denied jobs because of my last name, when I had all the qualifications required and more , and my white friends who had no previous summer job experience whatsoever and did not have her own car were hired. It's also a proven fact that children from north african and black parents are discriminated against at school and for jobs, and many of them are emigrating to other countries of europe where they find jobs in their fields of studies very quickly and are treated with more respect.
People always assume I live in a poor and deprived area just because I look arab. White french people grant themselves the right to ask me where do I come from and when I tell them the name of my birth city where I was born and raised and lived for 18 years of my life, they tell me " no but really ? you're not white so you're not from here" . My mom was verbally assaulted in the street last year by some ignorant fools who said t o her " you ****ing whore we'll kill you " why ? because she wears a hijab. I'm also harassed a lot in french airports, and while I can't prove it's because of the color of my skin or the origin of my last name, everyone I know tells me so, including white french people, so I'm not "imagining" things, you know. I could go on and on and on, but I'll just end with this : At age 4 , while in school, the son of a rich white family refused to sit near me and when the teacher asked why he said " my parents said arabs are bad people we should not sit next to them" and that 4 year old hitler also thought it useful to tell all the other white kids who to befriend : " you can't be friends with the black girl, because she is too dark skinned, but you can be just a little friendly with her ( me) , because she's dark but not as much as the black girl" . I rest my case :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Josb

But I don't except you to understand. You have to live it to understand it. I know people have all these ideas about France, but it's not what it's cracked up to be.
Here, Liberté Egalité Fraternité only applies when you're white ( and your parents aren't too poor).

but not white gipsy, because as a guy who was fishing told me on my place of work last week while he was trying to find arguments to erase the fact that he was fishing on a forbidden area " when arabs and gypsies get on our nerves you do nothing" ( He tells to the clearly arab looking girl. that was so racist and vile that it was hilarious)
Reply 75
This is no longer liberalism. This is oppression.
Original post by lawyer3c
This is not a freedom I am aware of...

We don't allow the adhan (Muslim call to prayer) or for Sharia law to govern relations of Muslim communities, so clearly we do not accept such a 'freedom' (and nor should we).

I find this strange, the Adhan should be allowed since it causes no objective harm and so should the burkini. Laws should not be decided on the basis of societal tastes but whether or not harm is caused by the act. This type of thinking is what lead to homosexuality being banned.

No, because they are not tolerant countries like us in the West. That doesn't mean we should stoop to their level- we need to continue being a free country where people can wear what they want.
Seriously though... 😑
Original post by Trapz99
No, because they are not tolerant countries like us in the West. That doesn't mean we should stoop to their level- we need to continue being a free country where people can wear what they want.

True, but it's the West's pathological altruism that has caused the friction between communities. Sticking with it may have dire consequences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending