The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

General Warwick Questions from a Prospective Postgrad

Hi Guys and Gals,

I hold an offer to study for my Mechanical Engineering MSc at Warwick but I've never visited the area so naturally I have a couple of questions.

As a postgraduate student I am likely to be staying in private rented accommodation. I've read that most students after 1st year live in Kenilworth, Leaming Spa or two of the nearby suburbs in Coventry (sorry the names escape me). Which of these are the most popular and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each of them? Also how do students get from Kenilworth and Leaming Spa to campus? Is there sufficient car parking on/around campus or is commuting via public transport the only realistic means?

I understand that Warwick doesn't have the reputation for nightlife that most other larger universities have but where do students (beyond 1st year) usually go for a night out?

The University I completed my Bachelors degree at organised intramural sports competitions (Rugby, Football, Hockey etc) each year, is this also the case for Warwick?

What is the University gym/sports facilities like? I presume they get extremely busy at peak times (5pm to 7pm)?

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be invaluable advice.
(edited 7 years ago)
The bits of Coventry aren't really suburbs: they're just part of the city. Of the main areas:

Kenilworth is nice and quiet. Not that many houses available. Nightlife nonexistent. Busses are somewhat annoying, but you can walk or cycle it reasonably.
Leamington is where most of the off-campus student community is. It's like any other university town. Busses better than Kenilworth, but it still takes ages to get onto campus in the morning. Nice enough area.
Canley is where the university is. Very close, easy walking distance. Not the nicest area (except the Cannon Park area, which is nice, but the average age of the residents is about 80).
Earlsdon is a bit further away. Well served by busses. Nicer area than Canley. Small student population.
Parking around campus is pretty awful, and traffic in the morning is worse.
Most off-campus nightlife is in Leamington.
The big annual sports thing is the Varsity competition against Coventry. Most (all?) sports clubs will also organise their own events / go to various events.
Sports facilities are pretty good, yeah. They do get busy at peak times.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by BlueSam3
The bits of Coventry aren't really suburbs: they're just part of the city. Of the main areas:

Kenilworth is nice and quiet. Not that many houses available. Nightlife nonexistent. Busses are somewhat annoying, but you can walk or cycle it reasonably.
Leamington is where most of the off-campus student community is. It's like any other university town. Busses better than Kenilworth, but it still takes ages to get onto campus in the morning. Nice enough area.
Canley is where the university is. Very close, easy walking distance. Not the nicest area (except the Cannon Park area, which is nice, but the average age of the residents is about 80).
Earlsdon is a bit further away. Well served by busses. Nicer area than Canley. Small student population.
Parking around campus is pretty awful, and traffic in the morning is worse.
Most off-campus nightlife is in Leamington.
The big annual sports thing is the Varsity competition against Coventry. Most (all?) sports clubs will also organise their own events / go to various events.
Sports facilities are pretty good, yeah. They do get busy at peak times.

Thanks for your help. I'll have to compare accommodation in Leamington Spa and bus transport to campus with accommodation closer to campus.

ps I never knew Coventry had a University!
Reply 3
Original post by clarkeysam
Hi Guys and Gals,

I hold an offer to study for my Mechanical Engineering MSc at Warwick but I've never visited the area so naturally I have a couple of questions.

As a postgraduate student I am likely to be staying in private rented accommodation. I've read that most students after 1st year live in Kenilworth, Leaming Spa or two of the nearby suburbs in Coventry (sorry the names escape me). Which of these are the most popular and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each of them? Also how do students get from Kenilworth and Leaming Spa to campus? Is there sufficient car parking on/around campus or is commuting via public transport the only realistic means?

I understand that Warwick doesn't have the reputation for nightlife that most other larger universities have but where do students (beyond 1st year) usually go for a night out?

The University I completed my Bachelors degree at organised intramural sports competitions (Rugby, Football, Hockey etc) each year, is this also the case for Warwick?

What is the University gym/sports facilities like? I presume they get extremely busy at peak times (5pm to 7pm)?

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be invaluable advice.

Leam is most popular, due to number of students around and decent nightlife. Factor in travelling; buses are excellent but it isn't round the corner. Otherwise Canley is the nearest village, Earlsdon and Tile Hill are also popular and served by a different bus that runs semi-frequently but not all that late if you're a dirty stopout!

Parking is a nightmare; avoid if you can. Roads tend to be jammed at peak times.

Gym is small but well equipped. Last year it was free during post-grad week (before freshers arrive) so you can try out the facilities. Yes, it does get pretty busy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending