The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnglishMuon
Hey sorry for the late response! Ive been away with a dodgy connection so thats y but I'm sure i can be able to have the game tomorrow if you want

Original post by In Uranus
He/she lives! And you can arrange a time with @john2054 :tongue:

Okay thanks, let's try and get in a game tomorrow evening, if this suits you okay? pm me thanks! @EnglishMuon
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Wait is The Sexathlete also Brahmin of Booty or..

Absolutely not :/
(edited 7 years ago)

ROUND 2!

@umar39 vs me --------> @umar39 won -___-

@Matrix123 vs @K-Man_PhysCheM

@EnglishMuon vs @john2054

@13 1 20 8 42 vs @The Sexathlete

New rules: Time limit of 15 or 20 minutes per game each way, also no re-matches and no take-backs (again unless both players agree otherwise).

Aw, you lost! I have a feeling I have the same fate... :erm:
@K-Man_PhysCheM when are you up for a game? :smile:
Original post by Matrix123

I believe in you matty :wink:

Spoiler

@Matrix123 , if you want to play now: https://lichess.org/CB4ZILw3
I believe in you matty Spoiler:Finish him
Thanks! :hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
@Matrix123 , if you want to play now: https://lichess.org/CB4ZILw3
I'm afraid I can't play tonight...how's tomorrow for you? :smile:
Thanks! :hugs:

Spoiler

I'm afraid I can't play tonight...how's tomorrow for you? :smile:

I'm not sure about tomorrow: it's GCSE results day and I'm going out with friends. Friday?
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
I'm not sure about tomorrow: it's GCSE results day and I'm going out with friends. Friday?

Ohh fair enough. Yup, Friday should be fine :yep:
And good luck for tomorrow! :biggrin:
Ohh fair enough. Yup, Friday should be fine :yep:
And good luck for tomorrow! :biggrin:

Thanks!
I have just played a couple of games with someone, who i had to resort to anti computer chess in the second game, in order to beat him. Basically i was able to put him in hot water a couple of times, and he was able to come out with totally 'unhuman' moves, for example attacking from the clinch, whereas these are the kind of moves the engine will tell you, but not what you will play in natural play.

Then when i accused him of this he first laughed, then said he will never play me again. The fact that he played quickly and badly for much of the game, but always came out of hot waters with the right move, is a tell (poker term), a sure sign of cheating. i still beat him though.

Here is the game, see what you think.... BTW play the game through without engine analysis, to see your gut feelings to the position, before throwing the engine in. Computers can't play chess, only men (and women) do that!

https://en.lichess.org/TBybSda2Ak1D
Original post by john2054
I have just played a couple of games with someone, who i had to resort to anti computer chess in the second game, in order to beat him. Basically i was able to put him in hot water a couple of times, and he was able to come out with totally 'unhuman' moves, for example attacking from the clinch, whereas these are the kind of moves the engine will tell you, but not what you will play in natural play.

Then when i accused him of this he first laughed, then said he will never play me again. The fact that he played quickly and badly for much of the game, but always came out of hot waters with the right move, is a tell (poker term), a sure sign of cheating. i still beat him though. *Here is the game, see what you think.... BTW play the game through without engine analysis, to see your gut feelings to the position, before throwing the engine in. Computers can't play chess, only men (and women) do that!

https://en.lichess.org/TBybSda2Ak1D

obviously if you beat him he wasnt using a computer to cheat, because you are rated 1700 and even a very weak chess computer running on an iphone or something is 2300+

Played through it and he looks like a beginner making more or less random moves at all stages of proceedings.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Forum User
obviously if you beat him he wasnt using a computer to cheat, because you are rated 1700 and even a very weak chess computer running on an iphone or something is 2300+

He was using it to assist his moves, especially when he got in the clinch (a tight spot). Please read my message above, for further explanation of why i think he was cheating, thanks.
He was using it to assist his moves, especially when he got in the clinch (a tight spot). Please read my message above, for further explanation of why i think he was cheating, thanks.

Yeah, I don't see it at all. Almost all of his moves are poor so it's not clear which ones you think benefited from computer assistance. Applying Occam's Razor, I would expect that someone using a computer to assist them with some moves would just keep using it all the time.
Yeah, I don't see it at all. Almost all of his moves are poor so it's not clear which ones you think benefited from computer assistance. Applying Occam's Razor, I would expect that someone using a computer to assist them with some moves would just keep using it all the time.

moves 29 and 30, he spent a long time thinking over them, and then came out with the right move. Plus afterwards, he said that he was ahead the whole game. But how would he know that, without using computer analysis? And i would have been in a much stronger position if i hadn't of moved my rook to his back rank.

But i still beat him. Because if you use a computer, you may be able to play the 'correct' openings, and get out of tricky situations, but you are only cheating yourself in the end. Thanks.

PS I should have kept my rook on my back rank, then i would have been in a much stronger position. The other thing about players who use computers to help of course, is that they may never make a 'mistake', yet they can lack oversight of the whole game, and so fail to spot basic tactical overviews in the endgame, as happened here.

Because if you use a computer... you are only cheating yourself in the end. Thanks.

The other thing about players who use computers to help of course, is that they may never make a 'mistake', yet they can lack oversight of the whole game, and so fail to spot basic tactical overviews in the endgame, as happened here.

moves 29 and 30, he spent a long time thinking over them, and then came out with the right move.

Plus afterwards, he said that he was ahead the whole game. But how would he know that, without using computer analysis?

Obviously I agree with the first quoted sentence. No need to thank me.

The second quoted paragraph is entirely incorrect. Computers get way way better in tactical positions and play better the fewer pieces are on the board. If he was using a computer he certainly wouldn't have missed the mate you handed him on move 33. Whether or not they have "oversight of the whole game" (I doubt the phrase means anything), a decent computer plays much stronger than the best human chess player in all phases of the game except for some very specific blocked positions.

His 29th move was fine but his 30th move was an abject blunder that you failed to capitalise on by playing Qxe5+, taking the free pawn he had inexplicably and generously offered, and simplifying the position. The knight is doing nothing on e6 after that and will have to beat a retreat in the not too distant future.

He wasn't anywhere near being ahead the whole game.
(edited 7 years ago)
moves 29 and 30, he spent a long time thinking over them, and then came out with the right move. Plus afterwards, he said that he was ahead the whole game. But how would he know that, without using computer analysis? And i would have been in a much stronger position if i hadn't of moved my rook to his back rank.

But i still beat him. Because if you use a computer, you may be able to play the 'correct' openings, and get out of tricky situations, but you are only cheating yourself in the end. Thanks.

PS I should have kept my rook on my back rank, then i would have been in a much stronger position. The other thing about players who use computers to help of course, is that they may never make a 'mistake', yet they can lack oversight of the whole game, and so fail to spot basic tactical overviews in the endgame, as happened here.

To me it looks pretty reasonably human, also he made some horrible mistakes (first with the rook and knight dependency and later with the queen).

Personally I don't think there was a reason to suspect he was using a bot.
lol my chess.com rating is plummeting. Like 500 difference with lichess. I want to know what my actual rating would be..
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
lol my chess.com rating is plummeting. Like 500 difference with lichess. I want to know what my actual rating would be..

I've found it's so much easier to win on lichess than on chess.com. It's easy to maintain 1800 on lichess but wouldn't be able to do that on chess.com. Idk if it's me or something because ok, the ratings on lichess are very inflated but I actually feel like I play worse on chess.com, it's weird...

Played through it and he looks like a beginner making more or less random moves at all stages of proceedings.*

Yep that guy couldn't be any less of a cheater XD.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I've found it's so much easier to win on lichess than on chess.com. It's easy to maintain 1800 on lichess but wouldn't be able to do that on chess.com. Idk if it's me or something because ok, the ratings on lichess are very inflated but I actually feel like I play worse on chess.com, it's weird...

It may be partially due to a superior engine but the analysis confirms i play worse on chess.com, i.e. more blunders and mistakes etc. My blitz on there is like 1280 now, and I find the 1300s seem to be more tactically aware, aggressive, and knowledgeable about openings (i.e. they know main lines and stuff) than some people up to 2000 on lichess, where my blitz is around 1750. I wonder if the layout can have any affect cos that's the only thing that's different. Indeed when I play OTB chess I play worse for a period because I'm not used to the playing arena looking like that.

Quick Reply

Latest