The Student Room Group

A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Slice of Pi
This is what I did...

oops yea, I forgot which notations I was using again ( D2n D_{2n} instead of Dn D_{n} ) so yea if it were Dn D_{n} then it'd be for the square :tongue:
Original post by EnglishMuon
oops yea, I forgot which notations I was using again ( D2n D_{2n} instead of Dn D_{n} ) so yea if it were Dn D_{n} then it'd be for the square :tongue:

Dn D_{n} is the dihedral group, which has 2n elements. You are correct in that D4 D_{4} can represent the symmetries of a square, but this will have 8 elements in total. Four of these are rotations and the other four are reflections in various axes. As an exercise, you may wish to sketch a composition table for the symmetry group of a square and verify that it is, in fact, non-abelian.

Proposition: An abelian group and a non-abelian group cannot be isomorphic.

Proof: By definition, a group isomorphism is a bijective group homomorphism. A group homomorphism is a map ϕ:GH\phi : G \mapsto H between groups, such that for any g1,g2Gg_{1}, g_{2} \in G, ϕ(g1g2)=ϕ(g1)ϕ(g2)\phi(g_{1}g_{2})=\phi(g_{1})\phi(g_{2}).
Now suppose that GG is the abelian group. Then for any g1,g2Gg_{1}, g_{2} \in G, g1g2=g2g1g_{1}g_{2} = g_{2}g_{1} . Thus
ϕ(g1g2)=ϕ(g2g1)=ϕ(g1)ϕ(g2)=ϕ(g2)ϕ(g1)\phi(g_{1}g_{2})= \phi(g_{2}g_{1})=\phi(g_{1})\phi(g_{2})=\phi(g_{2})\phi(g_{1})
Since ϕ\phi is bijective, we have that if GG is abelian and GHG \simeq H then HH is also abelian. Thus, an abelian group is always isomorphic to an abelian group, which gives another reason why the symmetry group of a square cannot be isomorphic to the original group.
(edited 7 years ago)

yeah yeah well thats sort of my point, there are different ways of representing the dihedral group depending on what your source is. Some represent the dihedral group of the regular n-gon by Dn, some by D{2n}. But D4 is abelian though (using the 2nd definition).
yeah yeah well thats sort of my point, there are different ways of representing the dihedral group depending on what your source is. Some represent the dihedral group of the regular n-gon by Dn, some by D{2n}. But D4 is abelian though (using the 2nd definition).

That is true but I have defined Dn in the way I have because that is the one you are more likely to come across on a maths course at university.
That is true but I have defined Dn in the way I have because that is the one you are more likely to come across on a maths course at university.

maybe, but I've been used to the other as the books I used on gt happened to use it :tongue:
maybe, but I've been used to the other as the books I used on gt happened to use it :tongue:

Yeah I've seen it a couple of times as well. It's no big deal, and I really don't know why there is two versions, but if your professors next year use a different definition to you just put a little note next to the working out to let them know what you mean and I'm sure it'll be fine. I don't know what year this will be studied in though.
Yeah I've seen it a couple of times as well. It's no big deal, and I really don't know why there is two versions, but if your professors next year use a different definition to you just put a little note next to the working out to let them know what you mean and I'm sure it'll be fine. I don't know what year this will be studied in though.

ah ok, will do :smile: Im pretty sure this is just 1st year gt, on the beginning of the 1st year lecture notes i read anyway.
ah ok, will do :smile: Im pretty sure this is just 1st year gt, on the beginning of the 1st year lecture notes i read anyway.

Have you looked at any other of the 1st year topics? I did a lot of reading on new topics last year and was surprised to learn some of the stuff is 2nd and 3rd year, because there wasn't an obvious increase in difficulty.
Have you looked at any other of the 1st year topics? I did a lot of reading on new topics last year and was surprised to learn some of the stuff is 2nd and 3rd year, because there wasn't an obvious increase in difficulty.

yeah Ive done some vector spaces and nt (+some other few things but not in much detail). pretty engrossed in gt currently tbh!
yeah Ive done some vector spaces and nt (+some other few things but not in much detail). pretty engrossed in gt currently tbh!

Have you looked at rings, fields and quotient rings?
Have you looked at rings, fields and quotient rings?

not yet, I've been recommended to cover vector spaces and carry on gt first. I've looked some basic principles with fields but not enough to say I've studied them properly.
Could someone please explain the small o and big O notation?
Original post by l1lvink

is there a context? :tongue:
Original post by l1lvink

If there exists a constant M>0M > 0, for which there exists N>0N > 0, such that
n>Nf(x)<Mg(x)n > N \quad \Rightarrow \quad |f(x)| < M|g(x)|,
then we write f(x)=O(g(x))f(x) = O(g(x)).

If for every ε>0\varepsilon > 0, there exists N>0N > 0, such that
n>Nf(x)<εg(x)n > N \quad \Rightarrow \quad |f(x)| < \varepsilon|g(x)|,
then we write f(x)=o(g(x))f(x) = o(g(x)).

The analogue to big-O and little-o is very similar to less than and strictly less than. Big-O gives an upper bound to the growth, but the function can still approach its Big-O function asymptotically. Little-o is much more strict.

There's other things like Omega, omega and Theta notation. A kinda rough intuition of them could be:
o:f<g.o: f < g.
O:fg.O: f \leq g.
Θ:f=g.\Theta: f = g.
Ω:fg.\Omega: f \geq g.
ω:f>g.\omega: f > g.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alex:
If there exists a constant M>0M > 0, for which there exists N>0N > 0, such that
n>Nf(x)<Mg(x)n > N \quad \Rightarrow \quad |f(x)| < M|g(x)|,
then we write f(x)=O(g(x))f(x) = O(g(x)).

If for every ε>0\varepsilon > 0, there exists N>0N > 0, such that
n>Nf(x)<εg(x)n > N \quad \Rightarrow \quad |f(x)| < \varepsilon|g(x)|,
then we write f(x)=o(g(x))f(x) = o(g(x)).

I think O(g(x)) and o(g(x)) are sets, so shouldn't the notation instead be f(x)o(g(x))f(x) \in o(g(x)) etc ?
I think O(g(x)) and o(g(x)) are sets, so shouldn't the notation instead be f(x)o(g(x))f(x) \in o(g(x)) etc ?

You're correct, the relation is not symmetric at all and you can blame the computer scientists for this notation.

The worst notation I've found was the Fourier transform by engineers:
S(ξ)=g(x)exp(2πjxξ)dxS(\xi) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(x) \exp{(-2\pi j x\xi)}\,dx.
Or should I say the Sourier transform on a gunction using jmaginary numbers.
Original post by Alex:

Or should I say the Sourier transform on a gunction using jmaginary numbers.

Nice one xD
Could someone give me a hint for how to solve this question without the fundamental theorem for finite abelian groups?

Let G G be a finite abelian group such that it contains a subgroup H0 H_{0} which is contained in every subgroup H(e) H \not = (e) . Prove that G G is cyclic.

This is easy if I'm allowed to use the fact that G is the direct product of cyclic groups (with trivial intersections), as if we have more than 1 cyclic group in the product, we must have H0=(e) so G must be cyclic. But I am not allowed to use this theorem for the question. Prove a couple facts about the orders of G, H0 but not sure where to go from there...
Could someone give me a hint for how to solve this question without the fundamental theorem for finite abelian groups?

Let G G be a finite abelian group such that it contains a subgroup H0 H_{0} which is contained in every subgroup H(e) H \not = (e) . Prove that G G is cyclic.

This is easy if I'm allowed to use the fact that G is the direct product of cyclic groups (with trivial intersections), as if we have more than 1 cyclic group in the product, we must have H0=(e) so G must be cyclic. But I am not allowed to use this theorem for the question. Prove a couple facts about the orders of G, H0 but not sure where to go from there...

Hint:

Spoiler

Hint:

Spoiler

lol yep Ive used this multiple times in my workings, not seen a solution free of FTFAG though. Probably the basis for every gt proof I've ever done :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest