The Student Room Group

Are these AS choices okay?

History (definite)
Politics
Economics
Psychology

History is the only one that i am 100% sure about as it has been my best subject at GCSE. Other subjects i am considering are English Lit, Sociology and Law.

As you can see i am more of an 'Arts' person than a science one so are my choices atm good enough to get into a good uni?
Which degree are you hoping to study? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Which degree are you hoping to study? :smile:

Probably either History/Politics or Management preferably at a 6th-20th ranked uni:smile:
Original post by JoshR8
History (definite)
Politics
Economics
Psychology

History is the only one that i am 100% sure about as it has been my best subject at GCSE. Other subjects i am considering are English Lit, Sociology and Law.

As you can see i am more of an 'Arts' person than a science one so are my choices atm good enough to get into a good uni?

You're not really doing 'arts' as much as social sciences (Politics, Econ and Psychology) mixed with humanities (History).

Those choices are fine for what you want to do.
Original post by JoshR8
Probably either History/Politics or Management preferably at a 6th-20th ranked uni:smile:

Those subjects sound fine for History and/or Politics, but I think Management degrees sometimes require Maths too. I'd check the entry requirements for the unis you're interested in to make sure :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies so far:smile:

The only thing that I'm really not sure about is whether it is worth taking English Lit instead of Psycology or Economics?

Maths is my worst subject at GCSE and I am considerably better at English so would Economics have too much maths in it at A2 for me to cope with? And is English Lit really important for History degrees?
Original post by JoshR8
Thanks for the replies so far:smile:

The only thing that I'm really not sure about is whether it is worth taking English Lit instead of Psycology or Economics?

Maths is my worst subject at GCSE and I am considerably better at English so would Economics have too much maths in it at A2 for me to cope with? And is English Lit really important for History degrees?

I don't know which exam board you will have for Economics but the best thing to do is to check the specifications.

I do Edexcel and their spec is here:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/economics-a/2015/specification-and-sample-assessment-materials/PearsonEdexcel-Alevel-EconomicsA-AccreditedSpec-August14.pdf

Page 69 provides details of the mathematics required for the exams. You might not understand the terms, such as elasticity, but if you feel comfortable with the ones you do understand, like ratios and quartiles, I think you'll be fine.

Just how poor do you consider your GCSE maths?
There is definitely maths in Economics A Level, I remember it being pretty easy maths but then Maths was one of my best subjects and I was taking it for A Level so I don't know how hard it would be for people who aren't so good at Maths. Maybe take Business Studies instead?
Reply 8
Original post by BasicMistake
I don't know which exam board you will have for Economics but the best thing to do is to check the specifications.

I do Edexcel and their spec is here:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/economics-a/2015/specification-and-sample-assessment-materials/PearsonEdexcel-Alevel-EconomicsA-AccreditedSpec-August14.pdf

Page 69 provides details of the mathematics required for the exams. You might not understand the terms, such as elasticity, but if you feel comfortable with the ones you do understand, like ratios and quartiles, I think you'll be fine.

Just how poor do you consider your GCSE maths?

I would be on Edexcel for Economics.

Predicted grades:
Maths: B
English Lit: A
English Lan: A
Core Science: A
Additional Science: A
History: A*
Geography: A

Is a B in Maths good enough for an Economics A level. I mean they say that they will accept me onto the course with a B, but will I have a realistic chance of getting an A at Economics A level with my limited Maths skills?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by howitoughttobe
There is definitely maths in Economics A Level, I remember it being pretty easy maths but then Maths was one of my best subjects and I was taking it for A Level so I don't know how hard it would be for people who aren't so good at Maths. Maybe take Business Studies instead?

I've done Business studies at GCSE and found it interesting but also too simple and 'easy' to carry on to AS. I hope that Economics is a more interesting and relevant version of business studies which incorporates more maths and some social science theory's. Has anyone here done the Edexcel course?
Original post by JoshR8
I've done Business studies at GCSE and found it interesting but also too simple and 'easy' to carry on to AS. I hope that Economics is a more interesting and relevant version of business studies which incorporates more maths and some social science theory's. Has anyone here done the Edexcel course?

I did the combined Economics & Business Studies A Level on Edexcel and I must admit I found the economics side far more interesting but as I said I was quite a Maths-y person. You're expecting a B in Maths but that should be fine for Economics, when you said it was your worst subject I was thinking you were expecting like a D or something! The maths in Economics at A Level really is pretty basic.
Reply 11
Im not giong to lie to you, based on my experience of almost 80% of my schoolmates and from friends from other schools. Those that take both History AND politics are most likely going to drop one by the end of AS based on the new spec.
Its alot harder and since your taking on the new spec, some people begin to feel the pressure as its a one chance thing.

And to do history and polics; its sometimes not as important in some universities to actually do both at Alevels. depends on the university.

i pray you do well at AS but just be aware.

*watch this space in 1 years time.x
Swap one of them (not History) for Lit.

Lit is actually respected. And you've said you're good at it.

commence flamewar
Original post by JoshR8
I would be on Edexcel for Economics.

Predicted grades:
Maths: B
English Lit: A
English Lan: A
Core Science: A
Additional Science: A
History: A*
Geography: A

Is a B in Maths good enough for an Economics A level. I mean they say that they will accept me onto the course with a B, but will I have a realistic chance of getting an A at Economics A level with my limited Maths skills?

Those are decent grades. I think a B in Maths GCSE will be fine for the mathematical skills in Economics A Level.

The actual mathematical method is not difficult. Imagine two lines of working, composed mainly of multiplication and division.

The difficult bit is knowing what you're actually meant to do with data for that question, not the actual maths. You learn how to calculate elasticity at AS where you literally just divide one percentage by another. You just have to remember which percentages you use. This will be taught to you (hopefully!).

Quick Reply

Latest