The Student Room Group

Student finance and applying for a new 3 year course help

Hi
I am currently on a 4 year long degree, it's a 3 year honours and my first year was a foundation year.

Due to extenuating circumstances, I have not passed this year. I should be going in to my second year of the degree (third year counting the foundation year) but due to the failure, I have to repeat the first year.

My circumstances are genuine, I didn't fail due to work quality I failed as I had to suspend my studies. This came right near the end of term and right when I had my exams and assignments due in so there was no way I could have passed.

Due to these circumstances, my daughter is now classed as disabled and I have decided to move home in order to make life easier for us until I've finished uni. My uni is about 30 miles from my home so traveling by train is possible but not ideal. Preferably I want to attend the uni near my home (about 5 miles) I've contacted them and they've said with my qualifications I would likely be accepted but obviously would need to apply through ucas for them to make a decision.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the funding. As I'm aware, the formula for student finance is 4 years plus 1. If I start at the new uni, the course is the same as my old one however it's a 3 year long degree as there is no foundation option. The one I'm on currently is 4 years as it takes in to account the foundation meaning I can have 5 years of study financed for.

Does this mean if I join the new uni, despite it being the same degree, I can not get funding?
Original post by Emmalouisa1995
Hi
I am currently on a 4 year long degree, it's a 3 year honours and my first year was a foundation year.

Due to extenuating circumstances, I have not passed this year. I should be going in to my second year of the degree (third year counting the foundation year) but due to the failure, I have to repeat the first year.

My circumstances are genuine, I didn't fail due to work quality I failed as I had to suspend my studies. This came right near the end of term and right when I had my exams and assignments due in so there was no way I could have passed.

Due to these circumstances, my daughter is now classed as disabled and I have decided to move home in order to make life easier for us until I've finished uni. My uni is about 30 miles from my home so traveling by train is possible but not ideal. Preferably I want to attend the uni near my home (about 5 miles) I've contacted them and they've said with my qualifications I would likely be accepted but obviously would need to apply through ucas for them to make a decision.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the funding. As I'm aware, the formula for student finance is 4 years plus 1. If I start at the new uni, the course is the same as my old one however it's a 3 year long degree as there is no foundation option. The one I'm on currently is 4 years as it takes in to account the foundation meaning I can have 5 years of study financed for.

Does this mean if I join the new uni, despite it being the same degree, I can not get funding?

So 2 years previous study

Your new course will be 3 years

3+1-2 = 2 years entitlement - you would have to self fund the first year unless you can send compelling personal reasons to student finance england (darlington address) - the CPR evidence would be a cover letter with professional evidence explaining how the situation affected you, why you had to leave etc

The formula isn't 4 years plus one it's :

course length + gift year - previous study = entitlement

Quick Reply

Latest