The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Cambridge?

So i recently got my AS results and managed to get AABB.
In Economics, English lit, maths and further maths respectively.
Although these are some amazing results i'm a bit disappointed.
so since my college is going to predict me 1 grade higher and im going to drop further maths at the end the grades going to my uni would be A*,A*,A.
Would it be worth me applying to Cambridge to study Economics?
(edited 7 years ago)
It's worth a shot. You'll never get in if you never try in the first place. You've still got things like the pre-interview assessment to impress your application on paper and Cambridge do try to interview the majority of people who have a realistic chance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by NeverLucky
It's worth a shot. You'll never get in if you never try in the first place.

Economics, sorry
Reply 3
Original post by AstroFonic
so since my college is going to predict me 1 grade higher and im going to drop further maths at the end the grades going to my uni would be A*,A*,A.

BB in Maths & FM is, I'm afraid, probably a fatal blow to an application for Economics. Your best option, if you want to pursue Cambridge, is a post A-level application with A*A*A* (note the extra A*).

And FM is commonly offered by successful Cambridge Econ applicants, so dropping it could also reduce your chances.
Reply 4
Wouldn't hurt to try, just remember the deadline for submitting your UCAS is a bit earlier

Econimics at Cambridge is very maths-heavy.
Having a very strong maths (and preferably FM) grade is crucial for their course. Maths/FM is even more important than A-level economics.
Hi guys, i want to study medicine but i don't know if my UMS is sufficient for cambridge. i got 5 As at as but one was gen st, and gcse was 10a* and a B in eng lit. since maths and rs were theonly old subjects, they are all that i know the ums for:
maths: c1=98, c2=95, s1=87 (dodgy average)
rs= 100 ums and 63 ums (v dodgy average)

any advice wouldbe really welcomed, as i currently have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to 'uni applications'
Reply 7
Original post by vincrows
Econimics at Cambridge is very maths-heavy.
Having a very strong maths (and preferably FM) grade is crucial for their course. Maths/FM is even more important than A-level economics.

I was predicted an A but had a bad day with one of the modules bringing my overall down to a B, but say if i'm predicted an A* in Maths by my school, would that make a difference?
Reply 8
Original post by Unknown_12345
Hi guys, i want to study medicine but i don't know if my UMS is sufficient for cambridge. i got 5 As at as but one was gen st, and gcse was 10a* and a B in eng lit. since maths and rs were theonly old subjects, they are all that i know the ums for:
maths: c1=98, c2=95, s1=87 (dodgy average)
rs= 100 ums and 63 ums (v dodgy average)

any advice wouldbe really welcomed, as i currently have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to 'uni applications'

Best thing will be to ask the Admissions Tutor in his thread - but wait until after the Bank Holiday :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242
Reply 9
I was predicted an A but had a bad day with one of the modules bringing my overall down to a B, but say if i'm predicted an A* in Maths by my school, would that make a difference?

And FM?

What are your individual UMS for each of your maths & FM modules?
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
And FM?

What are your individual UMS for each of your maths & FM modules?

I was predicted a B for further maths, but i've dropped it :frown:, if i kept it i would've most likely been predicted an A
maths-
C1: 72/100
C2: 80/100
S1: 63/100
fmaths-
FP1: 64/100
D1: 72/100
D2: 74/100
Original post by jneill
Best thing will be to ask the Admissions Tutor in his thread - but wait until after the Bank Holiday :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242

thank you so much!
Reply 12
Original post by Unknown_12345
thank you so much!

You can't. The thread is temporarily closed until Tuesday :wink:

It will give you time to craft the perfect post - enjoy the moment. I'll be looking out for it.

No pressure :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
I was predicted a B for further maths, but i've dropped it :frown:, if i kept it i would've most likely been predicted an A
maths-
C1: 72/100
C2: 80/100
S1: 63/100
fmaths-
FP1: 64/100
D1: 72/100
D2: 74/100

So even if Cambridge disregarded the S1 (they allow 1, or sometimes 2, dodgy modules), they will be concerned by your C1 & C2 - and all of FM...

Sorry not to have better news.

Cambridge takes a school's prediction with a large pinch of salt as it's often very unreliable.
They look at each module and scrutinise to make their own prediction on probability of applicant achieving a grade.
You can't really blame one bad module for getting B in both Maths and FM......

Edit: just saw your module UMS.
FYI most of successful applicants for their course have 90+ UMS in their maths. Some may have a few modules in mid-high 80s, but that's the sort of standard they are expecting from their applicants.

If you're very keen on applying to Cambridge, your chance is applying post-A level if you achieve their minimum requirement = A*A*A. One of A* needs to be maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
You can't. The thread is temporarily closed until Tuesday :wink:

It will give you time to craft the perfect post - enjoy the moment. I'll be looking out for it.

No pressure :smile:

Ah right! Thank you for letting me know! Oh dear, I'll try not to disappoint :colondollar: *starts writing drafts* hahaha but thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending