The Student Room Group

Is slang the language for the less privileged?

Hi

This is the question I'll be working on for my EPQ. I was just wondering if anyone could be able to offer their opinions on what 'type' of person do you view as using slang and your opinion on it.

I have done a questionnaire but it didn't go as planned :frown: your opinions will be noted and appreciated!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends. Some more privilidged people might use colloquial vernacular which isn't widely used, but is separate from being "well-spoken". It would be, for all intents and purposes slang, but would probably be given a different label as the word "slang" sounds common.
Everyone uses slang but I guess you're referring to maybe unstandard English. I guess you could say that they may be more likely to use 'slang' as standard English is not pushed upon them at home/school as it may be in the homes and schools of more upperclass children. You could say this stems from many things such as historically the rich could only afford education. Not until the 20th century has education been available for all children in the uk and still there is an obvious divide between the schooling of upper/middle classed children compared to less privileged ones. However you could also touch upon how due to many societal factors class is slowly becoming more blurred. Due to things like social media both privileges and unprivileged children and adults are being exposed to the same things thus both may start using the same language/ slang etc.
Reply 3
Well it depends if you count swear words as slang then it definitely not just for the less privileged
Original post by littlemix012
Hi

This is the question I'll be working on for my EPQ. I was just wondering if anyone could be able to offer their opinions on what 'type' of person do you view as using slang and your opinion on it.

I have done a questionnaire but it didn't go as planned :frown: your opinions will be noted and appreciated!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

it depends do you mean common slang (innit, bro, blud, cuz)
or
professional slang
(roley- Rolex and fire- diamonds)
Slang is a result of the people you hang around with, also "priveleged" is subjective.
Hi

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a big difference between slang and dialect. Slang is words which are only used among a certain type of people, and are not defined by location or socioeconomic standing. Usually slang words are designed to keep things secret from other people: slang words include 'brown' for heroin, 'food' for drugs, and 'par' for 'insulting'. Dialect words however are words like 'yard', 'vexed' and 'bare', which are just ordinary Jamaican dialect words used in ordinary life by people of all ages.

Most people only know about the 'slang' used by schoolchildren, but slang is used in many walks of life. The army has its own slang, for example, including the officer ranks. The average army officer is not exactly 'less priveleged', many of them are aristocrats and minor royals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Copperknickers
There's a big difference between slang and dialect. Slang is words which are only used among a certain type of people, and are not defined by location or socioeconomic standing. Usually slang words are designed to keep things secret from other people: slang words include 'brown' for heroin, 'food' for drugs, and 'par' for 'insulting'. Dialect words however are words like 'yard', 'vexed' and 'bare', which are just ordinary Jamaican dialect words used in ordinary life by people of all ages.

Most people only know about the 'slang' used by schoolchildren, but slang is used in many walks of life. The army has its own slang, for example, including the officer ranks. The average army officer is not exactly 'less priveleged', many of them are aristocrats and minor royals.

Yeah I already know that thanks, I'm thinking I'll probably re word my question slightly
What about the question 'is slang use defined by socioeconomic status?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Thanks

Read this

http://www.etoncollege.com/glossary.aspx

and then ask yourself the question.
Hi

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think each group in society has their own slang, then in addition, there is general slang that most people understand. So for sure there are less privileged people who share a slang, but there is also slang for privileged groups in society.
Use slang is normal, i often use it
Reply 12
What about the question 'is slang use defined by socioeconomic status?'

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a much better question.

Imagine you go to a professional interview and speak in slang - you will sound unprofessional and uneducated. Uneducated because language has rules and structures and if you break those it appears you don't know them. In a setting of working on a construction site, no one will care if you sound uneducated hence it doesn't matter if you use slang or not. Generalizing a bit, but I suppose that is the gist.
Slang can also be used on a social level with other friends e.g. at school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending