The Student Room Group

Which university should I choose? Please help!

A) A place that is offering me the exact degree I want, is fairly good but
that I don't feel too enthusiastic about because I don't love the overall feel of the place/don't know if the less academic atmosphere/character would suit me.

B) A place that is better than the other, excels in the department that my course would be part of, whose more academic atmosphere/location, etc appeal more to me...but which offers only one of the two subjects
I'd like to pursue, with only flavour of the other subject (a few modules in Year 1 and Year 2)?

Should I go with B and think about transferring in Year 2 to a place with my course AND where I think I'd fit in?

Should I reject both and reapply with retakes to places that I'd prefer to go to?
No guarantees with the above though.

Not pursuing the second subject would not hurt my job prospects but would limit me in terms of a specific academia-based route I'm considering. I don't want to lose this option, but think I'd develop more as a person at place B.

Both are Russell Group unis, and there whilst there isn't a huge difference between place A and B, it is there and seems to be somewhat reflected in the difference in the academic environment/atmosphere - that I've noticed, at least.
Reply 1
Posting to bump
Reply 2
bump bump bump
B, definitely
Reply 4
Original post by RelucBeam
B, definitely

Thanks for replying. To make things trickier, A offers an Integrated Masters and a year abroad whilst I can only do a bachelor's in the same amount of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lolaacer3
Thanks for replying. To make things trickier, A offers an Integrated Masters and a year abroad whilst I can only do a bachelor's in the same amount of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats no problem, you can always find a new uni to do your masters. Does B not have a masters option too though?
Reply 6
A. As the university will grow on you!
Reply 7
Thats no problem, you can always find a new uni to do your masters. Does B not have a masters option too though?

It would take five years - but what's one year when you have a whole life to live, right? It does, but I was thinking I'd be more interested in pursuing it in the other subject, the subject that B doesn't offer, save for a few modules in Years 1 and 2. I risk sounding incredibly dense with this question, but I'll ask it anyway: the taught Masters that people go on to pursue has to be in the subject they studied at undergrad level, right? Most entry requirements I've seen want a 2:1 at undergrad level but don't state any specifics (probably because this is quite obvious...). If this is true, B is looking less attractive.

Then again, I don't know what two years (Years 3 and 4) of not doing the other subject at B will do to me - will I regret not pursuing it? The option of switching to the other subject will be open to me at that point, but I don't love the idea of that because it'll mean abandoning the first subject. If it doesn't kill my passion for it (and I don't think it will), then the only route will be to undertake another bachelor's degree.

What do you think?
Reply 8
Original post by Zakriah
A. As the university will grow on you!

Thank you for the response. Any experiences you can relate?
It would take five years - but what's one year when you have a whole life to live, right? It does, but I was thinking I'd be more interested in pursuing it in the other subject, the subject that B doesn't offer, save for a few modules in Years 1 and 2. I risk sounding incredibly dense with this question, but I'll ask it anyway: the taught Masters that people go on to pursue has to be in the subject they studied at undergrad level, right? Most entry requirements I've seen want a 2:1 at undergrad level but don't state any specifics (probably because this is quite obvious...). If this is true, B is looking less attractive.

Then again, I don't know what two years (Years 3 and 4) of not doing the other subject at B will do to me - will I regret not pursuing it? The option of switching to the other subject will be open to me at that point, but I don't love the idea of that because it'll mean abandoning the first subject. If it doesn't kill my passion for it (and I don't think it will), then the only route will be to undertake another bachelor's degree.

What do you think?

Your planning is so detailed, that's good. I do think you need professional advice though like tutors etc
Reply 10
Your planning is so detailed, that's good. I do think you need professional advice though like tutors etc

As in, teachers from my school, or the tutors I'll encounter at university? Or do you mean something entirely different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As in, teachers from my school, or the tutors I'll encounter at university? Or do you mean something entirely different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tutors at your school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending