Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amelia488
most overrated- law,psychology, biology, history and PPE
most underrated- geography,physics, geology, chemistry, economics

economics is deffffooo overrated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Mind elaborating?

You only do an MBA if you want to switch from one career (usually technical or non 'prestigious') to another ('prestigious' or managerial) career or you do it to build a network of future business partners (usually by partying a bit too much).

The content you learn in an MBA isn't that useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah sorry i meant to put it in overrated. Personally i think geography is the most underrated degree.. opens so many doors in both environmental sustainability all the way to investment banking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely not overrated when securing graduate jobs.
Original post by RomeoSantos
Not sure how doing the course specific to becoming a doctor is overrated. We need more doctors and thats the route to take.

No one said we didn't need doctors. I simply highlighted the point that there is a lot of undue praise aimed towards medicine and not anywhere else. You need to remember that chemists and engineers are creating their drugs and tools, yet where's the acclaim there?
Original post by sleepysnooze
it wasn't harder - I actually got the same grades in my first year of it as I did in my first year of politics. I just hated it and its course content. it was an awful, grey, bland, pointless time. but here you are, probably somebody who *did* study or continue to study law and thinks that their degree is nothing less than perfection. I've met way too many people like you. people who think that studying a non-sensical, contradictory collection of vague principles and rules makes them intelligent. at least, of course, that would apply if you *did* study law, with your typical response in mind obviously.

So law is 'awful, grey, bland and pointless' but politics is riveting...seems like someone couldn't get to grips with how laws work in practice so they decided to just learn about why they're made. Even in this post you come across as so bitter, it's funny really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
No one said we didn't need doctors. I simply highlighted the point that there is a lot of undue praise aimed towards medicine and not anywhere else. You need to remember that chemists and engineers are creating their drugs and tools, yet where's the acclaim there?

Of course doctors receive high acclaim for what they do...it's well deserved and a position which should be respected. Chemists and engineers are also highly respected in society but most people don't do their jobs to receive acclaim from others.
Original post by Underscore__
So law is 'awful, grey, bland and pointless' but politics is riveting...seems like someone couldn't get to grips with how laws work in practice so they decided to just learn about why they're made. Even in this post you come across as so bitter, it's funny really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...if I "couldn't get to grips with it", why did I get a 2:1? I admit, I got a 2nd in contract, but for criminal, con and ad and legal foundations + advocacy, I got a 2:1.
confirm my suspicions - you're a law student. an offended law student. probably from not even a good uni. surprise me, though. I welcome it, because it's awfully interesting that somebody as smug as yourself can't understand that your subject isn't meant to be interesting - it's meant to be *incredibly* technical but at the same time *incredibly* analogue. hence why I said that, as a degree, it is "grey" yet "bland".
Original post by CharlieGEM
Lol, I currently work as a healthcare assistant. I'd wager I've seen more of the bad side of things healthcare related than most med students and not all (in fact probably a minority of) doctors have patient skills yet they passed med school and are not some special breed. It is what it is. You might not like it but the main academic skill tested by a medical degree is rote memorisation.

You have very little understanding of the degree if you think its main skill is memorization,and a minority of doctors have patient skills? Do you even know what OSCE's are, or did you just forget in your ignorance? You havent even seen the true reality of being a doctor as a healthcare assistant, so please dont pretend you know all there is to know simply by walking around in wards all day. And erm... most medical students are undergraduates, straight from college, is it any actual surprise that you've seen more bad things than 18 year olds, considering youre a person in their mid 20s with a degree and worked as a healthcare assistant, Congrats for stating the obvious.
I will 😉. All I'll say is it's got to be pretty embarrassing if you're a doctor and the healthcare assistant has got a higher UKCAT/GAMSAT than you.

As well as destroying the GAMSAT and UKCAT (despite taking them on a couple of bad days plus not having done anything formally academic for a number of years), I started studying toward the USMLE just out of interest, it was boring and not a challenge as I have a photographic memory. I would have destroyed that exam too in due course.

So you just stated that you have an advantage over most people taking the examinations (by having photographic memory) and then act as if it is some sort of achievement in doing well? Then you go on to say you did really well in an examination thats mostly taken by 17 year olds (UKCAT) which requires absolutely no academic knowledge (other than gcse maths, and you have a degree in maths so i doubt thats an issue). You really just sound like a little snob that takes pride in being better than younger people without realizing it. maybe if you weren't so narrow minded you wouldve known by now.
Oh and i really doubt any doctor loses a minute of sleep over you having a score in a test that requires no academic knowledge in an exam that is taken by 17 year olds. Especially considering , unlike you, they've gone through and successfully completed the degree and the post-graduate courses that are a further 5-11 years.
I find it pretty funny when kids like you say/imply that medicine is underrated. Did you all forget that everyone doing an undergrad med degree did do very well in their a levels and at the same time did take on a lot of extra curricular work experience and volunteering roles. And alot of people (around 10%) of them fail first year and end up resitting or dropping out of medical school, while on the other hand the first year of nearly every other degree means absolutely nothing as it doesnt even count towards the final grade.

I'm not surprised you got rejected after your interviews, especially after comments like these. Quite frankly, i'm taking comfort in the fact that the interviewers have managed to weed out arrogant little snobs who think theyre better than everyone else and have an unrealistic view of the reality that medicine is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can I ask if this is from experience or just what you've been told?

It's from experience, I mean I was getting interviews for some top finance roles so I dunno it could just be my interview technique. After about a year without much luck I decided to enter teaching which I got a place on instantly.

Btw I got a 2:1 and have really high A level grades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Definitely not overrated when securing graduate jobs.

definitely is. how does an econ degree help one to secure a grad job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sabana
It's from experience, I mean I was getting interviews for some top finance roles so I dunno it could just be my interview technique. After about a year without much luck I decided to enter teaching which I got a place on instantly.

Thats surprising. I've heard people do well with maths degrees after doing a masters in something like comp science
definitely is. how does an econ degree help one to secure a grad job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you must be trolling or have obviously not done your research
Original post by sabana

did others from your course also have difficulty?
you must be trolling or have obviously not done your research

not trolling, the degree doesn't do anything for you, you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not trolling, the degree doesn't do anything for you, you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohhhhh. I understand. So every degree is overrated.
ohhhhh. I understand. So every degree is overrated.

yh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Apprentice minimum wage is £3.30. If requiring a degree doesn't make a job a graduate level job, what does? * *Posted from TSR Mobile

Apprentice minimum wage for over 21's is £6.70. Anyone with those qualifications is going to be in that bracket. It's not a graduate level job because the type of jobs can be given to people with experience but no law degree. These people tend to be older because now you can't start out with no degree. There's plenty of people with a law degree applying for those paralegal positions so someone without experience or a degree will generally be overlooked in favour of the graduates or more experienced candidates. The oversupply of law graduates facilitates this. A graduate job is in the legal context, a training contract. This is the way that university frames the legal sector and is the aspiration for the vast majority when starting out.
in your 'in my opinion' boyo
Original post by AlexH123
Lmao me too, what uni?

Warwick.

Latest

Trending

Trending