The Student Room Group

Christians: Is Piracy Sinful?

What do you think, is Piracy sinful? Now from my knowledge i believe it not to be. Most people i ask about Piracy often conclude to the idea that it is theft, but i don't see it that way.

1). I believe Piracy is not stealing as the owners still retain the original content it, has just been copied by pirates. I also do believe that it may not be theft of the profits that could have been made. I believe that with piracy if the pirates do not gain money from people downloading their content (which is usually the case unless a trojan virus is used. From my knowledge i think they get paid from ads) then it is not theft of profit because it never existed and couldn't possibly be stolen, i would say that it was a loss. Maybe it could be said that if the content could not be pirated, the person would have resorted to purchasing it, but that can never be said with certainty. In my case if i never pirated the first season of a show like "Stranger Things" i would not watch it by means of cable or Netflix as it is unavailable through both services. For that reason i believe no profit was gained nor lost as i would have not paid to watch it due to it's inaccessibility.

2). I don't think it disobeys the law of the land (rather my government). In my country, from my knowledge and understanding the government permits the possession of Copyrighted Material for private use. They however do not issue consent for people to distribute or upload pirated content, which is what i am not doing, i am downloading it and by this i would believe following the law of the land.

3). Matthew 7:12. The Golden Rule - “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." My opinion is that when considering The Golden Rule it should be about context. When looking at piracy i consider the content and the owner of it. Where i live most if not all content is obtained through piracy. The only streaming service that exists here is Netflix but lacks any of the shows and movies i would like to watch, the cable is immensely behind and so i resort to piracy but by doing so i still have a consideration for the content i download. If i can find a PC game in stores that is not pirated i will buy it if i had the necessary funds to do so, rather than download it, same with the rest of all other forms of media. If i were in their shoes i would wish for the lesser known people of their respected industry to treat me with dignity and purchase my content rather than freely download it. But if i were a well recognized member of my respected industry, had millions of dollars and could continually sustain my desired life i would not mind if people downloaded my content for free as long as i still made some sales from my creative work. And for this reason i don't download movies, songs and video games from the minorities within their respected industry because they would lose an extensive amount of revenue.

To summarize. If i had the money, and the content i would want was available i would most likely buy it rather than pirate it.

What are your thoughts? Is the act of downloading pirated content sinful?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
What do you think, is Piracy sinful? Now from my knowledge i believe it not to be. Most people i ask about Piracy often conclude to the idea that it is theft, but i don't see it that way.

1). I believe Piracy is not stealing as the owners still retain the original content it, has just been copied by pirates. I also do believe that it may not be theft of the profits that could have been made. I believe that with piracy if the pirates do not gain money from people downloading their content (which is usually the case unless a trojan virus is used. From my knowledge i think they get paid from ads) then it is not theft of profit because it never existed and couldn't possibly be stolen, i would say that it was a loss. Maybe it could be said that if the content could not be pirated, the person would have resorted to purchasing it, but that can never be said with certainty. In my case if i never pirated the first season of a show like "Stranger Things" i would not watch it by means of cable or Netflix as it is unavailable through both services. For that reason i believe no profit was gained nor lost as i would have not paid to watch it due to it's inaccessibility.

2). I don't think it disobeys the law of the land (rather my government). In my country, from my knowledge and understanding the government permits the possession of Copyrighted Material for private use. They however do not issue consent for people to distribute or upload pirated content, which is what i am not doing, i am downloading it and by this i would believe following the law of the land.

3). Matthew 7:12. The Golden Rule - “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." My opinion is that when considering The Golden Rule it should be about context. When looking at piracy i consider the content and the owner of it. Where i live most if not all content is obtained through piracy. The only streaming service that exists here is Netflix but lacks any of the shows and movies i would like to watch, the cable is immensely behind and so i resort to piracy but by doing so i still have a consideration for the content i download. If i can find a PC game in stores that is not pirated i will buy it if i had the necessary funds to do so, rather than download it, same with the rest of all other forms of media. If i were in their shoes i would wish for the lesser known people of their respected industry to treat me with dignity and purchase my content rather than freely download it. But if i were a well recognized member of my respected industry, had millions of dollars and could continually sustain my desired life i would not mind if people downloaded my content for free as long as i still made some sales from my creative work. And for this reason i don't download movies, songs and video games from the minorities within their respected industry because they would lose an extensive amount of revenue.

To summarize. If i had the money, and the content i would want was available i would most likely buy it rather than pirate it.

You have a conscience. If your conscience is making you question or even think what you're doing is wrong then it's best to not do it.
At the end of the day it's not about what you believe is right or wrong, as a Christian it's what God believe is right or wrong so whatever justification you may have is void. I'm not saying piracy is wrong as many won't think twice about doing it and ignorance is overlooked by God if you're genuinely unaware.
Reply 2

It is sinful and wrong. It is dishonest and robs people of the money they have worked hard to make.

Look at the bullet points on this link.....http://www.launchingfilms.com/who-gains
Original post by Racoon
It is sinful and wrong. It is dishonest and robs people of the money they have worked hard to make.

Look at the bullet points on this link.....http://www.launchingfilms.com/who-gains
Hmmm. Alright i guess that in general it might be sinful and i believe how it is used and what it is used for is what may make it morally wrong. Like terrorists distributing it to make money, and so by that i agree with the law. But i'm relating it to me personally. Is it sinful for me to download pirated content if it is not theft or illegal to do so? (as i listed in the original post) If i did not pirate the content due to it's inaccessibility in my country the creators would neither gain or lose money because i still wouldn't have paid for it is it sinful? I'm not really certain on the answer what are your thoughts? Thanks for the response btw :biggrin:
Reply 4

Woe woe woe. Are you sure?
I think this documentary may change your mind.
Reply 5

Original post by da_nolo
Hahaha, nice one :smile:
Reply 7
Hmmm. Alright i guess that in general it might be sinful and i believe how it is used and what it is used for is what may make it morally wrong. Like terrorists distributing it to make money, and so by that i agree with the law. But i'm relating it to me personally. Is it sinful for me to download pirated content if it is not theft or illegal to do so? (as i listed in the original post) If i did not pirate the content due to it's inaccessibility in my country the creators would neither gain or lose money because i still wouldn't have paid for it is it sinful? I'm not really certain on the answer what are your thoughts? Thanks for the response btw :biggrin:

It's handling stolen goods, no matter which way you look at it.

We can talk our way around most things and make them seem ok but the bottom line is you will be supporting it no matter what.

Even if you didn't steal it, if you use it then it means you don't have to pay for it. It's up to your conscience I suppose,
Two thoughts on this...1) The law of the land considers it theft, and does rules owning copies illegal

Romans 13:1-7 “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”

2) Does it glorify God?
1 Corinth. 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."I get that not everything you do is always going to glorify God, but when it comes to moral decisions like piracy, theft, abuse, etc this would take effect wouldn't it?
Reply 9

Let God convict you 😁 I used to do things like that as well, like getting torrented games etc. And not paying for music and then realised after some time that it's wrong because of stealing someone's work, pirated content etc.

May God help you with your decisions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending