The Student Room Group

BTECs are just as hard as a-levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kxjzh
People stop arguing. It's a discussion not argument. A-Levels and BTEC's are equal. A BTEC requires constant work right through, with effort needed continuously. An A-Level however had peaks of high work amounts and drops of low amounts. Uni's want both. I want to go into Nursing and Uni's would value me more with BTEC health and social care, and experience, than they would 3-4 A-Levels. It all depends on what you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you starting the first year of the HSC BTEC or moving on to the second year?
Don't want to sound stupid, but what's the difference between doing BTEC during GCSEs and A LEVELS. Do they equal differently?
Original post by EdNozSunburnNose
Sorry but my coursework in my subjects I would say are as hard as a-levels like maths test or the sciences or sociology, I have to do so much work whereas maths just looks like a few past papers and science just an extension of common knowledge in my honest opinion. You may think this is a bad troll but I am serious. You don't know how hard us students work plus our BTEC is equivalent to an a level like science so we have just as good a chance of getting into a top uni. Maybe not Cambridge or Oxford but a Russell group probably.

Having done both BTECs are SO easy compared to Alevels, they litterally allow you to google the answers to the questions your being asked... Alevels require memorisation of the information rather than just re-writing it.
Reply 83
Original post by Natalierm2707
Having done both BTECs are SO easy compared to Alevels, they litterally allow you to google the answers to the questions your being asked... Alevels require memorisation of the information rather than just re-writing it.

So what should I do retake my AS again or do this btec level 3 extended diploma I'm applied science?
Original post by Rad66
So what should I do retake my AS again or do this btec level 3 extended diploma I'm applied science?

Depends what you want to do at the end of it. I advise you to have a look at uni courses which you like at some different unis and see whether they will take the BTEC.
Reply 85
Depends what you want to do at the end of it. I advise you to have a look at uni courses which you like at some different unis and see whether they will take the BTEC.

I want to do biochemical engineering / chemical engineering in universities, majority of universities will
Accept D*D*D* or D*DD for example, but are they extremely hard to get or?
Original post by Rad66
I want to do biochemical engineering / chemical engineering in universities, majority of universities will
Accept D*D*D* or D*DD for example, but are they extremely hard to get or?

A D* is so much easier to get than an A/A* at Alevel, providing you consistency work hard you should be fine.
Reply 87
A D* is so much easier to get than an A/A* at Alevel, providing you consistency work hard you should be fine.

Well tbh for AS I bloody did like 7-8 hours on weekends revising, weekdays I'd revise minimum 2 hours a day at home and revise in college too, so I'm wondering would all
This time that I put in for AS be too little if I did it for Btecs or the sufficient amount?
I think coursework is generally easier for most people than performing in timed exam conditions.
Reply 89
Original post by RomeoSantos
I think coursework is generally easier for most people than performing in timed exam conditions.

That is true, I dunno because if I were to be set my assignment, I would start it on the day and make sure it's complete as soon as possible im not someone who would leave it for a few days or something I like getting it out of the way, so is btec really my thing?
The reason why a levels are generally harder is because the topics you do is in depth to the point where it can get complicated and difficult to understand. Whereas with BTECs we do far more topics so we don't really need to go in depth
Reply 91
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
The reason why a levels are generally harder is because the topics you do is in depth to the point where it can get complicated and difficult to understand. Whereas with BTECs we do far more topics so we don't really need to go in depth

Do you recommend me doing a btec level 3 extended diploma in applied science?
BTEC is 'harder' in the sense that you obviously have to put more work in, and it doesn't matter how intelligent you are you still have to do a lot of work.

A-Levels are 'harder' in the sense that they require more knowledge
Reply 93
Lol
Original post by Rad66
Do you recommend me doing a btec level 3 extended diploma in applied science?

Its hard for me to say because I actually do health and social care so I'm not sure what applied science is like.

There's a lot to think about. Are you planning to go to uni afterwards? Do you have any ideas on what sort of career you want? Do you mind not going to a "top" uni?

I mean I personally decided to do BTEC because it allows me to gain a lot of work experience which universities and employers really value.
I'm doing a level 3 BTEC in fashion. My attendance was 60%, I copied and pasted everything off the internet and managed to get a distinction on one of my portfolios. To be honest, the workload that comes with doing a BTEC is ridiculous. It's assignment after assignment :frown:
Original post by bassbabe
I'm doing a level 3 BTEC in fashion. My attendance was 60%, I copied and pasted everything off the internet and managed to get a distinction on one of my portfolios. To be honest, the workload that comes with doing a BTEC is ridiculous. It's assignment after assignment :frown:

This right here shows why people think BTECs are a joke.
Reply 97
Not really. You don't even have lessons, you're given a task, you research and copy most of it spend ages rewording it then forget what you researched but it doesn't matter because you're onto the next assignment, I did an applied a level (which pretty much a mix between a BTEC and a level) and it was awful. I had to drop it because I knew I wasn't gonna gain anything from it. Not to mention how ridiculous some BTEC courses are too. You gain certain beneficial skills which can help you into loads of apprenticeships but you're not even required to gain knowledge for your subject which is why it's not preferred by most uni's.
Sorry but my coursework in my subjects I would say are as hard as a-levels like maths test or the sciences or sociology, I have to do so much work whereas maths just looks like a few past papers and science just an extension of common knowledge in my honest opinion. You may think this is a bad troll but I am serious. You don't know how hard us students work plus our BTEC is equivalent to an a level like science so we have just as good a chance of getting into a top uni. Maybe not Cambridge or Oxford but a Russell group probably.

yeah ikr it's common knowledge that bronsted acids form conjugate bases and bronsted bases form conjugate acids I mean DUH everyone knows the ionic product of water at 25 degrees C intuitively no biggie we were born with that knowledge and you know we don't need doctors, scientists, pharmacists and engineers cuz well, they're all just doing stuff we know ourselves we can start self-healing and developing drugs etc WHY NOT! :h:
You may think this is a bad troll...

:^)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending