The Student Room Group

the burkini debate

what are y'all thoughts on it (as a liberal tending forum i expect most are against it) and why? personally i'm against having a full burka that covers everything but the face, and although i completely disagree with the sick, outrageous and ancient reasons for one i'd accept a partial covering one as a compromise. However when one looks at the debate in France about that woman recently who was wearing a head scalf, one must remember that since 2010 a burka ban has been in place and a burkini IS a burka. therefore it is illegal. Anyway, i'd love to hear your thoughts!
Don't think you know what a burka is
Original post by Proximo

how so? i feel i am adequately educated in the matter.
Original post by Razamataz666
how so? i feel i am adequately educated in the matter.

If you say so bro
Reply 4
I'm not sure a burkini is a burkha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They banned the face veil not the headscarf.
yes i found the recent news in France pathetic, the woman had a scarf wrapped around her head, leggings and a kaftan and was ordered to take it off? so basically you HAVE to be showing your skin if you want to go to the beach?! how ridiculous! so why aren't men who walk around in rolled-up trousers and a t-shirt ordered to strip too??

France are taking their precautions waaay too seriously
Reply 7
I don't like the Burkini, but I don't think it's the business of the Mayor of Cannes what anyone chooses to wear.
The Burkini ban is wrong
banning the burka is wrong..

Its a misdirection of aggression by people who are feeling very threatened currently.

The thing we should be pushing for is to remove this unfair ban, but also to try and actually adress the reasons why this came to pass:

Many European people have a genuine worry that their culture/way of life is being threatened. Quite frankly its gotten to the point with the number of attacks, demographic statistics and even political developments like brexit, that we can no longer try and hide and pretend like these peoples fears do not have some grounding in reality. We cant just sweep it all under the rug of 'racist right wingers' and move on..

European leaders need to propperly adress peoples fears, and make moves to reassure them that their way of life is not under threat.. rather then just keeping us in this limbo where everything is just getting worse, as one side feels threatened, so lashes out, and then the other does the same, and the whole circle escalates and escalates...
Do you guys think someone in a diving suit and swim hat/scuba hat could go to the beach? Do you think there'd be a difference in reactions?
Reply 11
Original post by Razamataz666
what are y'all thoughts on it (as a liberal tending forum i expect most are against it) and why? personally i'm against having a full burka that covers everything but the face, and although i completely disagree with the sick, outrageous and ancient reasons for one i'd accept a partial covering one as a compromise. However when one looks at the debate in France about that woman recently who was wearing a head scalf, one must remember that since 2010 a burka ban has been in place and a burkini IS a burka. therefore it is illegal. Anyway, i'd love to hear your thoughts!

A burka isn't a Burkini. A burka is where you are covered from head to feet, which includes covering your face except your eyes. And a "Burkini" is just basically someone wearing a top and leggings.
Original post by Proximo

Why do the intricasies matter? We don't give a damn what names you give to the various kinds of veil you use to hide your women with, we just don't like them.
The "burkhini ban" is just a temporary ban on all full body swimsuits in the Cannes beach.There's nothing to debate, if people want to moan about it they should just build a bridge and get over it..

But yeah, face coverings should be banned in public.
Nothing wrong with it. It's not like they can hide bombs in it. They are going a bit OTT now
There shouldn't been be a debate. It's very simple, these women are in a western country, therefore they should abide by western culture and laws regarding clothing (eg like in France). When westerners go to middle eastern countries, they cover up. For example in Iran it is illegal for a woman not to wear a headscarf (even if they're not Muslim).
If these Muslim women feel as if their human rights are being abused here because they're not allowed to wear that thing then they need to go live in a Muslim country so they can wear it to their hearts desire
I honestly don't understand what's wrong with a burkini?
Reply 17
All those liberal morons thinking a burqa is empowering and we are taking that away from Islam.

You have two choices here. Either you admit Islam is misogynistic which mutes your point. Or you say it's just a cultural thing in which case a) it shows they are not integrating and b) if it is just culture to hide, then there is no need to stick to the Islamic garment - there are many other ways of covering up, especially at a beach instead of the burkini.
burqa's make me uncomfortable because they easily conceal people's identity by covering their faces, but burkinis just look like a full diving suit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending