The Student Room Group

The gig is up - Corbyn just as decieftul as other politicians #Traingate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexanderHam
You seem to be very upset. Perhaps you're becoming tired and emotional, having spent the last 7 hours on this website today from the time you got up, after having spent 9 hours (at least) yesterday afternoon and evening.

I can understand that perhaps your lack of normal human contact and relationships makes you particularly snippy and sensitive. Add that to your cult obsession with Corbyn and I can see why you're so distressed by my debunking your Dear Leader's lies.

In any case, it's clear you have issues and it's far easier just to add you to my ignore list.

Bye :smile:

A very mature reply. Shame you had to ruin it by childishly adding me to your ignore list.

But hey, we all mature! Well maybe others later rather than sooner, but you'll get there :smile:
Original post by Fullofsurprises

They have also demonstrated that the monster corporations are now fully political and are part of the right wing campaign to smear Corbyn at every opportunity, factually or otherwise. Nobody gave Virgin a vote, but here they are, key players in British politics. There need to be new laws preventing the major corporations from engaging in public political campaigns like this.

This. Wouldn't be anything to do with Corbyn supporting nationalising the railways now, would it?

The LSE's study on media bias against Corbyn also painted a worrying, but accurate picture:
"The results of this study show that Jeremy Corbyn was represented unfairly by the British press through a process of vilification that went well beyond the normal limits of fair debate and disagreement in a democracy."
Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Corbyn's original tweet, what Virgin have done in response to it is sinister and threatening.

They have broken Data Protection law, apparently without a thought - does Branson even know or care that it exists?
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/24/virgin-trains-faces-data-protection-inquiry-over-corbyn-cctv-footage

They are only supposed to hand over footage like this to the police - is it now the case that train operating companies regard their passengers as fair game to be used in any passing whim of the chief executive's campaigning? What next, sale of passenger activities to TV comedy shows? Blackmail?

They have also demonstrated that the monster corporations are now fully political and are part of the right wing campaign to smear Corbyn at every opportunity, factually or otherwise. Nobody gave Virgin a vote, but here they are, key players in British politics. There need to be new laws preventing the major corporations from engaging in public political campaigns like this.

I'd hardly call it sinister.

If he's made up a story about their service they're perfectly entitled to refute it to protect their brand.

I'm not attempting to justify the right wing media(I rarely read that shite) but it's clear he's made a fool out of himself and should just own up to his mistake.
So now that he's admitted he was looking for two seats together and the video was spin (of which there is nothing wrong) are all the Corbyn defenders on here going to apologize?
Original post by skeptical_john
So now that he's admitted he was looking for two seats together and the video was spin (of which there is nothing wrong) are all the Corbyn defenders on here going to apologize?

I am not. If you read my first post, you will see that I said that I personally do not see anything wrong with him highlighting an issue that he stands for.
What's so funny is that he's had this twice in 24 hours after Bernie embarrassed them by saying he had not sent them any messages....
Actually, if you bother to look at the picture they are standing at the food bar :smile: And the fact York is so far away at the time the pic is taken simply serves to destroy the Corbynite lies that he only got a seat after people had got off the train

They said that people were moved to first class, thus allowing room to sit down.

I don't see that they are at the food bar.
Original post by JamesN88
I'd hardly call it sinister.

If he's made up a story about their service they're perfectly entitled to refute it to protect their brand.

I'm not attempting to justify the right wing media(I rarely read that shite) but it's clear he's made a fool out of himself and should just own up to his mistake.

He didn't make up a story but even assuming there was exaggeration, they have no business immediately releasing internal video footage of the carriages to the media. What if there were other people shown who for personal reasons did not wish to have their presence advertised? The Data Protection Act is there to stop this kind of outrageous act by high handed authorities.

It does sound as if they exaggerated the issue somewhat, but there was also some truth to it. The wider truth, that people are often seatless on our trains, is emphatically true.

If anything, what the story shows is that he lacks a good PR officer. Someone like Alastair Campbell would have smelled trouble straight away if the same had happened to Blair in his younger years, but he would have turned it into a PR plus, man of the people and all that. Corbyn's people lack skill.
He didn't make up a story but even assuming there was exaggeration, they have no business immediately releasing internal video footage of the carriages to the media. What if there were other people shown who for personal reasons did not wish to have their presence advertised? The Data Protection Act is there to stop this kind of outrageous act by high handed authorities.

They're a private company not an authority.

You have a valid point about other train users and I know I'm anti-Corbyn but come on, he's been busted red handed.
Incredibly stupid from Corbyn and I certainly have lost any last tiny shred of respect I had for him. That being said, this is clearly a response from Virgin aimed at hurting the campaign of someone who has threatened to renationalise the trains. Anyone who thinks Virgin are unbiased on this is a fool; they're simply trying to smear Corbyn to make sure he doesn't maintain his position as opposition leader as it will hurt their business.
Original post by leinad2012
Incredibly stupid from Corbyn and I certainly have lost any last tiny shred of respect I had for him. That being said, this is clearly a response from Virgin aimed at hurting the campaign of someone who has threatened to renationalise the trains. Anyone who thinks Virgin are unbiased on this is a fool; they're simply trying to smear Corbyn to make sure he doesn't maintain his position as opposition leader as it will hurt their business.

Releasing photographic of evidence of Corbyn not telling porkies is not a 'smear' it's evidence.

If anyone has been doing the smears it's Corbyn...
smearverb2.

damage the reputation of (someone) by false accusations; slander

Releasing photographic of evidence of Corbyn not telling porkies is not a 'smear' it's evidence.

If anyone has been doing the smears it's Corbyn...
smearverb2.

damage the reputation of (someone) by false accusations; slander

Virgin broke the LAW by releasing that footage okay? Can people in the UK start following the rule of law, please oh please?!?
I can't really blame Virgin for getting annoyed with Corbyn. If someone threatened to take your business away from you then you'd fight back where possible.
I don't think Richard Branson need worry too much though, I think I've got more chance of being the next Pope as Corbyn has of being Prime Minister.
Corbyn makes me cringe with his "man of the people" gag that he seems to play all the time, especially when he has a large entourage following him and he gets exposed lying about it.

This is not what bothers me though, it was a small lie and nothing more. What worries me is that this man a potential prime minister is getting frustrated and lashes out like a child over a reporter calling him out on the train incident.

What hope is there of the guy dealing with Russia, Syria or ISIS as PM if he can't even keep his cool with a simple reporter?
So a Corbyn fan supports Corbyn's story. Quelle surprise.

I'll stick with the hard evidence, thanks

I'm going to go out on a limb here and be controversial but note how the source, a 26 year old mum, had a 1y/o daughter and a 6 y/o son, so she must have been pregnant at 20 and likely a single mother; who do you reckon fits the stereotype of a typical labour voting corbinista? I wouldn't trust such a source to not embellish things. Had it been an middle-aged/elderly person or a businessman id have put more weight on the source.
Original post by remiremi
Corbyn makes me cringe with his "man of the people" gag that he seems to play all the time, especially when he has a large entourage following him and he gets exposed lying about it.

This is not what bothers me though, it was a small lie and nothing more. What worries me is that this man a potential prime minister is getting frustrated and lashes out like a child over a reporter calling him out on the train incident.

What hope is there of the guy dealing with Russia, Syria or ISIS as PM if he can't even keep his cool with a simple reporter?

hes an emotional man-child (sorry its true) as evidenced by his naive delusional ideologies, what do you expect
Original post by JamesN88
They're a private company not an authority.

You have a valid point about other train users and I know I'm anti-Corbyn but come on, he's been busted red handed.

Actually one of the strange things about the Train Operating Companies is that they still have all the legal status that the old British Railways used to have, so for example, they can prosecute passengers for non-payment almost without evidence, their word is sufficient and the court process that governs it is outrageously lacking in what we normal people call justice. I've had one or two friends fall foul of it and believe me, they act as if they are 'authorities' in those circumstances. The Tories who carried out the privatisation wanted to make sure the franchisees could have their cake and eat it - fully privatised profits, but full protection from government for revenues.
Original post by remiremi

He does get exasperated with the media, which doesn't do him any favours with the wider public, but on the other hand, they make up so much stuff about him and have only a single mode - attack - towards his policy views, that it's quite difficult to see how anyone in that situation wouldn't get annoyed.

He isn't smooth and over-schooled like Blair or Cameron, but is that a bad thing overall? Were those two really good for us?
He does get exasperated with the media, which doesn't do him any favours with the wider public, but on the other hand, they make up so much stuff about him and have only a single mode - attack - towards his policy views, that it's quite difficult to see how anyone in that situation wouldn't get annoyed.

He isn't smooth and over-schooled like Blair or Cameron, but is that a bad thing overall? Were those two really good for us?

I actually think Cameron was the right thing for the country, during his reign. And I'm still not persuaded about 100% that Jeremy is up to the job. He is still getting my vote though. The less we say about tony though, the better! lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending