The Student Room Group

Has everyone started their Personal Statement?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessyjellytot14
I don't even know where to start :\ Coming up with a first sentence that doesn't sound cliche and unoriginal is so difficult.

Start with the middle and fill in the start and end later.
Original post by SeanFM
Start with the middle and fill in the start and end later.

Yeah, I'm thinking of making a mind map and jotting down everything I could possibly include and then I can start putting it all together (this will be the hardest part) .
I haven't started.

I mean, I've got a couple ideas, but I haven't put them to paper yet.

Why start now, unless you're applying for a course with an early deadline? We can't even get support and guidance from teachers until we start A2 in September.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I haven't started.

I mean, I've got a couple ideas, but I haven't put them to paper yet.

Why start now, unless you're applying for a course with an early deadline? We can't even get support and guidance from teachers until we start A2 in September.

I think you should have at least a first draft ready before you go tho. So you can instantly ask teachers for advice. Plus I know most of my friends won't start straight away so if you leave it for awhile, teachers might be busy with a lot of personal statements to look at. IMO it's best to get a few drafts by mid-September before the rest of you school year group, for the reason mentioned above.
Hahhaahhahahhahahahahahahahahahha

No.
I started mine off with a quote. Obviously it doesn't matter because I was applying to do maths. :rofl:
Reply 46
When does it actually have to be given in by? I know you can send it off to UCAS from 6th september. Isnt it best to get it done by then. Its first come first serve from what i have heard
I haven't even started my personal statement😭 Any pointers and tips by those who have already started? Structure tips? And how can I integrate in why those unis will be the best for me.
Hopefully mine should be done by the end of next months.
Reply 49
Original post by mahmzo
When does it actually have to be given in by? I know you can send it off to UCAS from 6th september. Isnt it best to get it done by then. Its first come first serve from what i have heard

When you apply. No, it's not best to get it done by then. No it's not first come first serve.
Reply 50
Original post by Zacken
When you apply. No, it's not best to get it done by then. No it's not first come first serve.

So its completely random? when do the universities start reading them
Get your statement off by December of you're not doing medicine/vet or an Oxbridge candidate. It helps to have it go kind of early but you don't need to have everything ready to go on 6th September. Chill out, let your school help you and redraft it to get it really bloody good - because my statement is what got me an offer from my firm, not my predicted grades. Don't try and be a smart arse, or humour on the statement, it doesn't work. Just show off exactly what you can do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by razzo161
Get your statement off by December of you're not doing medicine/vet or an Oxbridge candidate. It helps to have it go kind of early but you don't need to have everything ready to go on 6th September. Chill out, let your school help you and redraft it to get it really bloody good - because my statement is what got me an offer from my firm, not my predicted grades. Don't try and be a smart arse, or humour on the statement, it doesn't work. Just show off exactly what you can do.

What course did you do/uni. Also what AS results did you get and how much higher were your predicted grades
Original post by mahmzo
What course did you do/uni. Also what AS results did you get and how much higher were your predicted grades

Music and Sound Recording at Surrey, Offer - AAA + Grade 5 theory (Merit)
AS - ABD (dropped computing which was also an A)
Predicted A2 AAB
Actual A2 AAA
Original post by mahmzo

Depends on the uni. Some might start reading them as soon as they start receiving them and others might wait until after the deadline when they have all the applications before reading them.
Reply 55
Original post by razzo161
Music and Sound Recording at Surrey, Offer - AAA + Grade 5 theory (Merit)
AS - ABD (dropped computing which was also an A)
Predicted A2 AAB
Actual A2 AAA

Lets say someone got ABC at AS and there course requires like A*AA or AAA will they not be allowed to apply their? Or can there school allow them to have those predictions.
Original post by mahmzo
Lets say someone got ABC at AS and there course requires like A*AA or AAA will they not be allowed to apply their? Or can there school allow them to have those predictions.

Depends entirely on the school. You can apply anywhere with any predicted grades, but the university will use them to guage whether you can realistically meet requirements of course.
Reply 57
Original post by mahmzo

Universities give equal consideration to all applicants if they apply before the 15th January deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mahmzo
Aerospace engineering : Bristol, Bath,Loughbourough, southhampton
Just 4 choices?
Reply 59
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Just 4 choices?

FWIW, I applied for only four choices. Not much point putting a random uni that you don't want to go to on your UCAS just to fill up the five places. If you do have 5 unis that you wouldn't mind going to, then defo use all 5 choices.

Quick Reply

Latest