The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
If you miss kebab, chips and that's sort of stuff, there's always Gardies. :smile:
http://gardis.co.uk

Oh my god, that looks amazing! Their menu is making me hungry right now. :lol: And it seems close to King's, or at least it does from my shoddy map reading skills.
Original post by Zacken
Oh my god, that looks amazing! Their menu is making me hungry right now. :lol: And it seems close to King's, or at least it does from my shoddy map reading skills.

3 min walk from King's main gate.
30+ min if you're j-walking. That's how many students get there after been to a club......

Edit:
Caius (the nearest college) has been complaing for years about the level of noise coming from Gardies in the middle of night. They were almost ordered to close once but managed to survive.
So if you ever use them, make sure you stay quiet, or they won't be there for a long time......
(edited 7 years ago)
My vegetarian nephew in law is quite fat as he eats too much cheese as a source of protein.......

If you miss kebab, chips and that's sort of stuff, there's always Gardies. :smile:
http://gardis.co.uk

That music on their website though ^.^
I love it!
3 min walk from King's main gate.
30+ min if you're j-walking. That's how many students get there after been to a club......

Edit:
Caius (the nearest college) has been complaing for years about the level of noise coming from Gardies in the middle of night. They were almost ordered to close once but managed to survive.
So if you ever use them, make sure you stay quiet, or they won't be there for a long time......

Hahaha, noted. :lol: I can see myself eating there quite a bit. :tongue:

Any recommendations for the best pizza place in Camb?
Original post by Zacken
Hahaha, noted. :lol: I can see myself eating there quite a bit. :tongue:

Any recommendations for the best pizza place in Camb?

If you don't mind paying restaurant price, I've heard De Luca Cucina on Regent Street is quite good (never been myself, though). Jamie's Italian, just off Market Squre is not too bad, either.
Pizza Express and Zizzi are more or less reliable, though probably not the bestest.

There's often a long queue outside Aromi. I think they do sliced pizza piece for take-away (and probably eat in).
If you don't mind paying restaurant price, I've heard De Luca Cucina on Regent Street is quite good (never been myself, though). Jamie's Italian, just off Market Squre is not too bad, either.
Pizza Express and Zizzi are more or less reliable, though probably not the bestest.

There's often a long queue outside Aromi. I think they do sliced pizza piece for take-away (and probably eat in).

I once ate at pizza express.
Sorry, worst pizza I have ever had. Bill was like 150-200 quid aswell, we shouldn't have bought so much tbh since none of us even ate that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I once ate at pizza express.
Sorry, worst pizza I have ever had. Bill was like 150-200 quid aswell, we shouldn't have bought so much tbh since none of us even ate that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember you saying that.
You said you'd preferred a pizza from high street fast food shops.
Fair enough. I think it's a matter of preference.
Do you like Pizza Hut?
I remember you saying that.
You said you'd preferred a pizza from high street fast food shops.
Fair enough. I think it's a matter of preference.
Do you like Pizza Hut?

Well i don't have pizza hut alot but no i don't like it at all.
Papa Johns is very good imho and dominoes is good and reliable.
I had the other type of pizza before and thought it was nice, but damn I hated pizza express.
Well i don't have pizza hut alot but no i don't like it at all.
Papa Johns is very good imho and dominoes is good and reliable.
I had the other type of pizza before and thought it was nice, but damn I hated pizza express.

See?
I think our tastes of pizza are completely different.
I don't like those pizza you mentioned. Prefer authentic Italian-type pizza with thin crisp base.
They're two very different kinds.

So it's up to @Zacken to decide which advice he takes. :biggrin:
See?
I think our tastes of pizza are completely different.
I don't like those pizza you mentioned. Prefer authentic Italian-type pizza with thin crisp base.
They're two very different kinds.

So it's up to @Zacken to decide which advice he takes. :biggrin:

Agreed. Pizza Express is usually pretty good, if a bit pricey these days. But there are lots of midweek offers via Gourmet Card and similar.

I imagine unidays has the offers too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Agreed. Pizza Express is usually pretty good, if a bit pricey these days. But there are lots of midweek offers via Gourmet Card and similar.

I imagine unidays has the offers too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, I haven't had a pizza from pizza express (or similar) for ages.
I tend to go to one of those 'gourmet'(?) pizza places (with soughdiugh pizza and that sort of things) in London if I want to have a pizza, which is not very often. Not a huge fan, unless it's really good and authentic. Rather go for pasta. Every time.
For more reasonable price for that kind, I think Franco Manca is quite good, but don't think they have a branch in Cambridge yet.
Original post by Protoxylic
Ah yeah completely forgot that you were coming up for rowing, enjoy that :tongue:

Ah, late asf interview, didn't you get bored most of the day waiting?

Well I didn't have to come up until 30 minutes before the CSAT then straight over to my interview (only had 1 at Trinity)
Original post by Serine Soul
I just need to have the courage to squash it with my shoe/shower it down the drain :redface:

You say it like it's so easy :lol:
Piqued my interest! :biggrin:Are you joining them in their summer training? Are you a FaT already?

I'm trialling for CUBC and should be with them for the two weeks training before term actually starts. (Also got pooled to Christ's so no FaT :wink: )
Tbh, I haven't had a pizza from pizza express (or similar) for ages.
I tend to go to one of those 'gourmet'(?) pizza places (with soughdiugh pizza and that sort of things) in London if I want to have a pizza, which is not very often. Not a huge fan, unless it's really good and authentic. Rather go for pasta. Every time.
For more reasonable price for that kind, I think Franco Manca is quite good, but don't think they have a branch in Cambridge yet.

I meant pretty good relative to pizza hut :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duskstar
Well I didn't have to come up until 30 minutes before the CSAT then straight over to my interview (only had 1 at Trinity)

You say it like it's so easy :lol:

I'm trialling for CUBC and should be with them for the two weeks training before term actually starts. (Also got pooled to Christ's so no FaT :wink: )

Wow, you must be a seriously good rower already then. Been rowing at school then?
Must tell me your real name if you get in as I want to support you when you're in the boar race. :smile:

Good luck with the trial! :smile:

(But even if you don't get in, I'm 30000000% sure you'll enjoy college rowing and Bumps= best boat race in the world. Period.)
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

No comparison. :smile:
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anything is good relative to pizza hut
Anything is good relative to pizza hut

Ok, so am I right in thinking your rating on pizza is:

Papa John's > Domino > Pizza Hut/pizza express??

Thats quite different from mine, that is;

Pizza Express >>>> Pizza Hut > Domino / Papa John

I
Ok, so am I right in thinking your rating on pizza is:

Papa John's > Domino > Pizza Hut/pizza express??

Thats quite different from mine, that is;

Pizza Express >>>> Pizza Hut > Domino / Papa John

I

Haha yeh!
My pizza hut view is blurred by my local pizza hut i think.
Original post by jneill
Nah, it's not unusual for the other place to struggle to string enough words together to sustain a decent TSR thread. :wink:

We even get them joining Cambridge threads because they are more interesting (cf. @BioOx in the 2017 Applicants Thread)

#TabBantz

Yes, you're right: the allusion to crop rotation would be applicable to a more agricultural institution...

The dearth of posts on t'other freshers' thread is annoying. I was hoping to have some guidance as to how parents of freshers should behave. For example, should one be aiming to make some impact when dropping one's child off at college for the first time? Would hiring a stretched Hummer be deemed appropriate?
Original post by PeteM01
Yes, you're right: the allusion to crop rotation would be applicable to a more agricultural institution...

The dearth of posts on t'other freshers' thread is annoying. I was hoping to have some guidance as to how parents of freshers should behave. For example, should one be aiming to make some impact when dropping one's child off at college for the first time? Would hiring a stretched Hummer be deemed appropriate?

I believe that a helicopter is de rigeur these days...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending