The Student Room Group

Remark?(Need 1 UMS for A*)

Hey guys,

I sat 9 GCSE subjects. I managed to get a high A* in all 3 of my sciences, Maths(IGCSe) and Geography.

But in the other 4 I only got an A. I don't mean to sound snobby or anything its just that I was hoping for all A* maybe an A or 2 and I honestly thought that i would get it.

In my English Literature I had 179 UMS out of the 180 needed for the A*, the same goes for my French and English Language.

Should I go for a remark? All my controlled assessments were A* so its only the actual papers.
Original post by Phire
Hey guys,

I sat 9 GCSE subjects. I managed to get a high A* in all 3 of my sciences, Maths(IGCSe) and Geography.

But in the other 4 I only got an A. I don't mean to sound snobby or anything its just that I was hoping for all A* maybe an A or 2 and I honestly thought that i would get it.

In my English Literature I had 179 UMS out of the 180 needed for the A*, the same goes for my French and English Language.

Should I go for a remark? All my controlled assessments were A* so its only the actual papers.

For French, the marks are unlikely to change because the markscheme is more likely to be strict, so I'd leave it for that.

Since English is marked more subjectively, I'd consider it here. It's unlikely for your mark to go down significantly that your grade will drop too, so I'd go for it tbh if you don't mind spending the money.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
For French, the marks are unlikely to change because the markscheme is more likely to be strict, so I'd leave it for that.

Since English is marked more subjectively, I'd consider it here. It's unlikely for your mark to go down significantly that your grade will drop too, so I'd go for it tbh if you don't mind spending the money.

For French I can get 2 ums by going up 1 mark in either of the 2 controlled assessments which is why i thought i might just go for it
Original post by Phire
For French I can get 2 ums by going up 1 mark in either of the 2 controlled assessments which is why i thought i might just go for it

Sadly, you can't request a remark of your controlled assessment. Either the whole cohorts has to be sent off or nobody's, so it's at your schools discretion and everyone has to agree.
Original post by Phire
Hey guys,

If you have the money then go for it. They have changed the rules though and will only award any in the case of genuine error and not just difference of opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest