The Student Room Group

Gap year and resit or resit whilst attending uni in hopes of a trasnfer?

Okay so I recieved my A level results yesterday and was unhappy with my results, though I kinda expected it after having useless teachings and knowing I wasnt working to the best of my ability.

I received grades ADD in Art, Maths and Chem respectively, which after getting 10 A*-A grades at GCSE were obviously a huge disappointment, especially since my targets were all As and predictions ABB after recieving grades ABCD in Art, Geog, Chem and Maths (respectively) the year before

My firm was Westminster which rejected me and my insurance Greenwich which I managed to get into but only because the offer was unconditional. But I'm not entirely sure I want to go there as even though I liked the uni and their way of teaching and the people there, it is not ranked very highly in my course which is Architecture and job prospects and such are higher at Westminster so i just don't think I'd really wna go there

I did however ask westminster if it'd be possible to transfer my 2nd year of the course if i were to resit some of my a levels and they said yes as long as i achieve 60% in my first year too. But though it sounds like the best of both worlds I'm not sure I'll be able to handle both my resits and Uni at the same time as I'll essentially be resitting almost all of my Maths and Chemistry AS and A level modules so I'm not sure whether simply taking a gap year and reapplying would be a better option.

Bearing in mind Architecture is 7 years to become fully qualified architect so a gap year would be making that 8, but then i also consider other courses such as finance or banking/ accountancy but I almost always end up going back to Architecture

but then if i took a gap year i could also maybe work, earn some money, go travelling a bit also but then ofcourse focus on my resits

So basically I'm unsure about what I should do and any advice/ opinions would be appreciated.

Also any knowledge about how I'd go about transferring for my 2nd year and about whether or not taking a gap year to resit would affect my likelihood of acceptance into unis would also be nice, thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Gap year and resit.

Not many universities will consider a transfer.
Reply 3
Yeah I'm in a similar situation too whether to apply for a foundation course (which I will most likely not get) in Adult Nursing and not resit or take gap year, resit and gain work experience (my personal statement was plain I don't have any kind of nursing or helping experience). I didn't get any offers from uni so I've been placed in clearing, I got DDE :frown: in Psychology, English Literature and Statistics. Laziness is the only thing pulling me back from resitting like I really cannot be bothered resitting English Lit because the work load was just wow, where as the other two subjects it'll be 6 or 7 exams in total. I wouldn't recommend doing a degree and resitting A levels I mean will you really be able to handle it? It's either you take a gap year and resit or just go to the uni with your ADD results, but I wouldn't recommend the second option just in case you had to put it on your CV? then again I've heard after you receive your degree they aren't really important but I wouldn't rely on that. As for transfers I don't know much, I doubt a uni would want to accept a student for them to just ditch out and go to another one but I guess if your uni said they'd happily do it under circumstances then why not! Personally I think you should take a gap year because the stress of A levels, degree, transferring unis trying to get their entry requirement grades will be too much? yeah it'll take a year longer but at least it won't be all rushed :redface:. I still haven't broke the news to my parents about my results as I'm on holiday I'm just terrified on how they'll react :frown: what did your parents say?
Take a gap year and resit, on the grounds that trying to resit your A Levels, and do a time intensive course like architecture, and have some form of social life, is going to be damn near impossible if you want to get good enough grades to transfer.

If you take a gap year and resit, then you'll have some chance of getting decent A Level grades, and you'll also be able to get some paid work alongside your studying, and save up some cash.
Original post by rimmor7
Yeah I'm in a similar situation too whether to apply for a foundation course (which I will most likely not get) in Adult Nursing and not resit or take gap year, resit and gain work experience (my personal statement was plain I don't have any kind of nursing or helping experience). I didn't get any offers from uni so I've been placed in clearing, I got DDE :frown: in Psychology, English Literature and Statistics. Laziness is the only thing pulling me back from resitting like I really cannot be bothered resitting English Lit because the work load was just wow, where as the other two subjects it'll be 6 or 7 exams in total. I wouldn't recommend doing a degree and resitting A levels I mean will you really be able to handle it? It's either you take a gap year and resit or just go to the uni with your ADD results, but I wouldn't recommend the second option just in case you had to put it on your CV? then again I've heard after you receive your degree they aren't really important but I wouldn't rely on that. As for transfers I don't know much, I doubt a uni would want to accept a student for them to just ditch out and go to another one but I guess if your uni said they'd happily do it under circumstances then why not! Personally I think you should take a gap year because the stress of A levels, degree, transferring unis trying to get their entry requirement grades will be too much? yeah it'll take a year longer but at least it won't be all rushed :redface:. I still haven't broke the news to my parents about my results as I'm on holiday I'm just terrified on how they'll react :frown: what did your parents say?

I have the same problem as you! I want to do adult nursing but not do a foundation year and I'm retaking biology and psychology but leaving my D in english as it is and re apply.. tbh it doesn't really matter which university I get into since it is a health care career and I would get into the nhs either way.. but I might have to go through clearing next year too. we have a very similar situation.
Reply 6
Original post by madhvi patel
I have the same problem as you! I want to do adult nursing but not do a foundation year and I'm retaking biology and psychology but leaving my D in english as it is and re apply.. tbh it doesn't really matter which university I get into since it is a health care career and I would get into the nhs either way.. but I might have to go through clearing next year too. we have a very similar situation.

Just got back from holiday 2 days ago and going to go college today to "get my results" since I've told my parents I have to go collect them when really I've seen them online so breaking the news today is going to be horrible!!! I wouldn't mind doing a foundation year but if I'm going to carry my a level grades on then I don't think I'd want to :frown: ugh today is going to be rough. I've been going to pharmacies and schools for some work experience and got told I'd hear back from them but nothing yet tho. What did you get in biology and psychology??
Original post by rimmor7
Just got back from holiday 2 days ago and going to go college today to "get my results" since I've told my parents I have to go collect them when really I've seen them online so breaking the news today is going to be horrible!!! I wouldn't mind doing a foundation year but if I'm going to carry my a level grades on then I don't think I'd want to :frown: ugh today is going to be rough. I've been going to pharmacies and schools for some work experience and got told I'd hear back from them but nothing yet tho. What did you get in biology and psychology??

I got an E in bio and a D in psychology :frown: good luck I'm sure they will be understanding and support you.
Reply 8
Original post by madhvi patel
I got an E in bio and a D in psychology :frown: good luck I'm sure they will be understanding and support you.

Oh wow you got the same as me, did you do OCR psychology? and which English did you do Lit or Lang? my parents were actually very opposite to supportive :frown: kinda crushed my confidence haha :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending