The Student Room Group

French police force woman to take off clothes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
How do you travel a lot if you are young and cannot gain employment and you have one parent?? Where are you getting your money? Nobody is saying or even implying you are crazy so chill

I traveled a lot to Algeria back when and now I travel because I study abroad, I'm not some kind of world traveler unfortunately :frown: And I did work during two summers, because my mom worked for the school cafeterias and the mayor office has these policies that they need to give summer jobs to workers' kids first but only for two summers, and then I couldn't find a job for the two next summers despite applying for 300 positions lol, what a waste of time. But yeah mostly my siblings are older and help financially my mom and me, and I pay for the rest with my savings And regarding the people on this thread they think I'm delusional, but nope unfortunately.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
Human rights, to be exact.
You don't have to be sorry. Your problem is, that you want impossible to happen, and you focus on bad sides, instead of good sides, which causes harm mainly to you.

Don't expect any country to treat a stranger as good as own native people. it is not possible to educate people to this extent (at least in this century) and it would also be dangerous for existence of states. People need motivation to work on improvment of their own countries. I have to accept that I will never be fully welcome in UK, because I probably would not be able to polish my english accent to such perfection that I would allow me to imitate an englishman. So If I want to feel somewhere like home, I have to stay in Poland and sort mess out here.
And this is good, because if some countries cease to exist, the heritage of human kind can survive in other.

What you want is an utopia. If this will ever become true, this will be an end of human race. Stress is vital both for development, and to stay in shape.

yep sorry about that I didn't know the english translation, it's the literal french translation. And what you're saying shouldn't apply to the people who were born and raised in that country, like where am I supposed to go " back" to ? a country I've never lived in. And honestly I don't seek to be welcomed by everyone, that's not possible, but not being unwelcomed by the majority would be nice though.
Reply 102
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Cmon i am not twisting anything. You cite how France is rife with discrimination for jobs and renting property and then say France brings them there to do the nasty jobs. Your parents come from a non ghetto another thing you allude to.. so how did they afford that? Did they get decent job or a good opportunity in France?

I have never lived in France and cannot say at what level discrimination is there but given the examples you are citing and anecdotes, i am not wholly convinced in your personal judgement.

For example, i a white British male went through airport security and the scanner went off. 3 security people rushed over and moved me to the side barked at me to stand shoulder width apart and vigorously patted me down numerous times (Gave my schlong a good tickle too) demanding i empty my pockets etc. I was pretty taken a back by how annoyed / direct they were with me. Now if that happened to you... you would be 100% sure in no doubt that this was because you were muslim or Arab or African... The narrative would be racist ******** targeted me and violated me because i am muslim

We have racist people here in the UK that will tell you similar things.

France is like apartheid South Africa, you know.
Original post by Josb

Honestly, ignorance is bliss, yeah yeah keep thinking you're right, arabs and blacks are really well treated in french society and they have the same opportunities as white people for sure. LMAO , I'm done with you guys. No one would be as blind as you are in real life, and I guess I'll find solace in that lmao.
Original post by bassbabe
If you go to a country, you abide by their laws. Deal with it or go somewhere else where wearing a burkini is acceptable.

This is clearly discrimination why isn't a nuns outfit banned of a Sikhs turban, shame on you for spreading hate, how is a woman wearing a burkini affecting anyone!
Original post by kiwi94
And honestly I don't seek to be welcomed by everyone, that's not possible, but not being unwelcomed by the majority would be nice though.

I can understand what you think because I'm myself being discriminated, in my very own country. Some people think I'm worthless because I can't afford a nice car, some think I'm crazy because I studied philosophy. Human resources thinks that I'm a lazy moron, because I don't have a master degree, and they won't accept explanation that I was seriously ill, not lazy or more stupid than other. Some people would also think that I'm a bad man because I'm atheist, and some would think that I'm a russian agent if they knew some of my political opinions. If I know my nation, this means that majority of Poles would neglect me. But I realised it is a same factor as being fat, poor, real idiot, or being born in Somalia. Just a bad luck I have to get on with, and I can see some other qualities Poland, that stop me from saying that it is totally horrible. Some things should be changed, some shouldn't and some cannot be. I try to do as much as I can to work on problems I know. I studied mainly political philosophy, idea of tolerance, I have some knowledge in general, so I share and discuss. Thats my little brick to the walls of my home.
Reply 106
Original post by kiwi94
Honestly, ignorance is bliss, yeah yeah keep thinking you're right, arabs and blacks are really well treated in french society and they have the same opportunities as white people for sure. LMAO , I'm done with you guys. No one would be as blind as you are in real life, and I guess I'll find solace in that lmao.

I didn't say that Blacks and Arabs had equal opportunities in France, but you're seriously deluded if you think that (a) life is only difficult for them (b) this situation only exists in France. You'll see if you try to find a place to live in the UK after graduating.
Original post by Josb

When I was in Paris on a metro, the white people and the ethnics sat on the top and bottom carriages respectively - separately from each other. Mock the idea all you want, but racial issues in France are pretty tense at the moment.
Reply 108
Original post by alevelstresss
When I was in Paris on a metro, the white people and the ethnics sat on the top and bottom carriages respectively - separately from each other. Mock the idea all you want, but racial issues in France are pretty tense at the moment.

You liar. :lol:
Original post by yupitsme
This is clearly discrimination why isn't a nuns outfit banned of a Sikhs turban, shame on you for spreading hate, how is a woman wearing a burkini affecting anyone!

I'm not spreading hate, I'm stating the facts Burkinis are illegal in france, so don't wear them. If you get stopped by the police then it's your own fault for being idiotic. Now go and cry to your mum seeing as you can't handle the truth :wink:
Original post by Josb
You liar. :lol:

I'm not lying, I went through Paris back from interrailing to get the Eurostar

I had to transfer to Gard de Nord station from Gard de lyon, and trust me, the metro lines were worryingly reminiscent of some underlying racism in the country
[QUOTE="Mathemagicien;67182708"]France is aggressively secular, and has been for a long time. With Islamic terrorism, they are understandably becoming more aggressive in doubling down on Islamic influences that clash with Western values.[/QUOTE

What clashes are there between western values and 'Islamic influences'
Wow. I just had a second look at the picture and she's not even wearing a hijab. It's just a head wrap. Why is it anyone's business? For all we know she could have alopecia. I feel so bad for that poor old lady, they must have made her feel like ****.
Original post by bassbabe
I'm not spreading hate, I'm stating the facts Burkinis are illegal in france, so don't wear them. If you get stopped by the police then it's your own fault for being idiotic. Now go and cry to your mum seeing as you can't handle the truth :wink:

The question is WHY are they illegal?
Maybe it's wrong that they're illegal (not entering that argument), but the fact is that the law has actually been passed and if women still continue to wear them, it's an act of defiance.
Original post by yupitsme

just to clarify for the purpose of ppl on this thread- frances rules are driven by a need for 'blanket secularism' andso turbans were actually banned about 10 years ago in schools and universities. they were later allowed in public because they were deemed not to disguise the identity. the principles of the rules were also used to stop overtly catholic dress of women and this stems back over 100 years

thats french society - its a little weird to the likes of us that have consistently promoted freedom of religion in uk.

I would ask a few questions in this situation - does the burkini disguise the identity? prob not. is it identified in islamic edict? no. so dont really see the need under french law for its ban. but then this is a regional mayoral law.

i would also ask is there a religious need to wear a burkini ( or burkha for that matter) ? the answer is also no. Seen the point has been made on twitter etc that this women was being 'modest' by wearing one and following religious rules - i would ask is going to a beach where there are both half naked men and women classed as being 'modest' under islams own rules? again no.

i think on both sides there is some confused logic going on
Original post by PTMalewski
I would agree with that, only as long as there would be no public health insurance.
Burka doesn't allow enough light to skin, causing D vitamin deficiency. It would be justified therefore to ban it, or to introduce a special health tax.

The burkini is quite separate from the burqa. I think the burkini is rather misnamed; it should be called a hijabini. The burqa isn't really worn by women in the UK, however the niqab, which is fairly similar is worn by quite a fair number of women.

I don't know where I stand on the issue of the niqab, but there are definitely strong cases to be made in regards to public security. I also think there is a case to make in regards to pregnant women wearing the niqab. Children born to women who wear the niqab are at far greater risk of suffering from rickets. The niqab in this respect could be treated like alcohol which also can cause harm to the baby.

However, I don't agree with this health tax. People with darker skin are at a higher risk of having vitamin D deficiency in the UK. But it wouldn't be logical to implement a special health tax on such demographics for this reason.
Original post by The Epicurean
The burkini is quite separate from the burqa. I think the burkini is rather misnamed; it should be called a hijabini. The burqa isn't really worn by women in the UK, however the niqab, which is fairly similar is worn by quite a fair number of women.

That's right, I confused burka and niqab, because they work the same, and used this to that pseudo burqini because of my tendency to ignore minor facts in not strict problems.

I don't know where I stand on the issue of the niqab, but there are definitely strong cases to be made in regards to public security. I also think there is a case to make in regards to pregnant women wearing the niqab. Children born to women who wear the niqab are at far greater risk of suffering from rickets. The niqab in this respect could be treated like alcohol which also can cause harm to the baby.

I bet the radicals will ignore this fact, but insist on "prooving" that Quran is scientifically accurate, while it's not.

However, I don't agree with this health tax. People with darker skin are at a higher risk of having vitamin D deficiency in the UK. But it wouldn't be logical to implement a special health tax on such demographics for this reason.

Not exactly. A skin colour is your genetic quality, the same as level of IQ (to some extent) or vulnerability to cancer or other ilnesses. Society may pay for your cancer treatment, because you may have other qualities vital to it's existence. In the same time, some people are smoking though they come from families wich are very resistant to cancer, but they have to pay high cigarrete taxes anyway. Since no public health insurance in the world is rich enough to pay for best known treatments, it would ok. to require some special health tax from people who insist on damaging their bodies.
(edited 7 years ago)
A bit extreme but at the end of the day she knew the law
Original post by teenhorrorstory
(picture showing woman in Iran confronted by police for dressing 'too revealing' )

And this ladies and gents is exactly why humans are morons.

This ban is not "we don't want to see more skin on women". This ban is about banning the symbol of oppression that it represents. The symbol of fundamentalist Islam as many perceive it to be, and in light of recent events one that upsets some French.

I have seen so many people on social media cry about how "look they tell women to cover up and they want less clothes". That has nothing to do with the issue and shows people are just led by their emotions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending