The Student Room Group

Feeling gutted about my gcses :(

I got 7As and 2Bs i have no chance of getting into medicine, im devastated

Scroll to see replies

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL you must be the most deluded person in the world.

1. Those are good grades. Be happy. Be content. It will help you to move on.
2. A-levels are much more important.
3. There are many medical schools around the UK, which ask for many different things, they're not all the same. They value so many different aspects of your application.
4. You need to ask yourself, if you don't become strong enough to pass the test of being mentally strong enough to move on, how will you overcome the obstacles life will throw at you later on.

Become the best, whatever you do in life, be the best at it and always try. You will get there.
Seize opportunity and not always passion, so keep volunteering and going to work experiences in the next 2 years. Sign upto everything, experience so many things even NCS so that you can get an overall view of yourself and what you are good at.

You will become great, I have faith in you. It is time to have faith in yourself.
I can tell you will never get into medicine if you think with those grades you have no chance.
You just need to be selective of where you apply to as some medical schools are very gcse heavy when looking at applications and some aren't.
You shouldn't feel bad about your results as you got majority A's but I understand why you feel upset as medicine is very competitive but don't lose hope. Your uni application will not depend solely on gcse grades.
Reply 4
Don't worry, GCSE grades don't determine how well you'd do in A levels - as long as you work hard and don't give up, I have no doubt you'd get into the top Uni for medicine :wink:
Original post by OddFuturez
I can tell you will never get into medicine if you think with those grades you have no chance.

I don't think you are helping. I believe that it is possible as getting into medicine requires good grades and voluntary work. Your grades are good. Consider Study Medicine Europe, an organisation that allows students to study medicine in Bulgaria or Romania. With those grades, I am sure you can become a doctor or whatever you want to be in the medicine industry. All you have to do is belive in yourself and not listen to people such as OddFuturez. Don't Worry.
Reply 6
Original post by 9091student

You most definitely do have a chance. For medicine at Nottingham you need 6 As. Your results are incredible please don't feel disappointed. Waht will be will be and I wish you the best. Talk to teachers at school or college if you are really concerned.
gcses only really matter if the uni wants it lmao i'm guessing most would love to accept u with those a's shh pls
Original post by nagamorris
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL you must be the most deluded person in the world.

3. There are many medical schools around the UK, which ask for many different things, they're not all the same. They value so many different aspects of your application.
4. You need to ask yourself, if you don't become strong enough to pass the test of being mentally strong enough to move on, how will you overcome the obstacles life will throw at you later on.

Become the best, whatever you do in life, be the best at it and always try. You will get there.
Seize opportunity and not always passion, so keep volunteering and going to work experiences in the next 2 years. Sign upto everything, experience so many things even NCS so that you can get an overall view of yourself and what you are good at.

You will become great, I have faith in you. It is time to have faith in yourself.

that lol tho :rofl:
Reply 9

I understand your frustration but as others have mentioned, there remain viable options for entry into med that you can pursue- provided you do well at A Levels etc.

A friend of mine had 1A*, 7A's and a B at GCSE. Ended up with A*A*A* at A Levels. That together with his dedication and interaction with medical students pre-app, allowed him to secure entry to medicine.

So fine, you're disappointed, now think about how you'll pick yourself up and improve.

Not true, a friend of mine received offers from medical schools with predominantly B grade GCSEs and 1 A in drama. Don't stress, those results are excellent.
Trust me, those grades are brilliant and A-levels are coming up soon, those are more important.
Wow GCSE's what a horrible time that was
Original post by Ukvoltaire
I don't think you are helping. I believe that it is possible as getting into medicine requires good grades and voluntary work. Your grades are good. Consider Study Medicine Europe, an organisation that allows students to study medicine in Bulgaria or Romania. With those grades, I am sure you can become a doctor or whatever you want to be in the medicine industry. All you have to do is belive in yourself and not listen to people such as OddFuturez. Don't Worry.

People should have the mental capacity to know that getting 7As doesn't mean you have 'no chance' in medicine.
Just saying GCSE's have 0% Impact on your A Level so the work only gets harder from here.
People should have the mental capacity to know that getting 7As doesn't mean you have 'no chance' in medicine.

Pretty sure he/she is doing it to make others feel bad.
Original post by nagamorris

i appreciate your optimism and kindness but i've screwed up everything up

It's really an uphill battle from here. Almost every university puts heavy weight on GCSEs - some combine it with UKCAT/BMAT. This puts crippling pressure to do very well in the UKCAT/BMAT (which aren't easy at all).

An option for the OP is to take a gap year after achieving your A levels and apply for medicine then.

For the OP, a lot of these people haven't been through the medicine application process so they fail to realise your disappointment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Roundhead
Pretty sure he/she is doing it to make others feel bad.

i am in no way trying to put others down?! i'm just saying that personally i am disappointed with the grades that i got, considering i wanted to medicine

Quick Reply

Latest