The Student Room Group

Aqa maths unit 3 higher tier Official Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Thats an interesting question... Based on the higher this year i can confirm that my son wouldnt have coped with the higher, I dont know how the foundation went but it seems like higher was far more advanced than the foundation...
We will see, I will post our results here in August! :smile:
Original post by bigoliver
I really hope you have done better than you think and prove your teachers predicted grade wrong. I'm my class most student where scared to take the higher paper, even some of the stronger ones who could have perhaps got Bs.
So big credit to you that you have struggled on foundation but decided not to give up, but tr y your luck at the higher paper in the hope of hitting your C grade target.

My son's school said they put all students in for the higher paper "because it's easier to get a C grade at higher than at foundation" which I agree with.
My college teacher disagreed and said it depends on the indivual.

Personally I think you made a bold move and gave yourself the best chance of getting a C grade. I really think that kind of attutude deserves to pay of. If not atleast you gave it your best mate.
I really hope you have done better than you think and prove your teachers predicted grade wrong. I'm my class most student where scared to take the higher paper, even some of the stronger ones who could have perhaps got Bs.
So big credit to you that you have struggled on foundation but decided not to give up, but tr y your luck at the higher paper in the hope of hitting your C grade target.

My son's school said they put all students in for the higher paper "because it's easier to get a C grade at higher than at foundation" which I agree with.
My college teacher disagreed and said it depends on the indivual.

Personally I think you made a bold move and gave yourself the best chance of getting a C grade. I really think that kind of attutude deserves to pay of. If not atleast you gave it your best mate.

Thanks you so much! You've really made my day! (Week). I have been trying my best I couldn't thank you enough for your advice it really made me happy again :smile:.
Original post by nemski
Thats an interesting question... Based on the higher this year i can confirm that my son wouldnt have coped with the higher, I dont know how the foundation went but it seems like higher was far more advanced than the foundation...
We will see, I will post our results here in August! :smile:

Did you try some of the past papers, before the exam today?

Good luck for August
Reply 63
hi yes thats what we were learning from :wink: we didn't do many, at least 3 of each unit, didnt manage to cover everything and the stuff i didnt get round to was in the paper today so partly my fault ..;p

I have no idea really how he did, but I am looking at just making the C again. Its killing me having to wait to find out though!...

Good luck for August
Reply 64
how did your son find it?

Good luck for August
Is this old spec AQA when June 13 started with a quadrilateral and you had to find the angle/circumference or something?
Original post by nemski
thow did your son find it?

My son didn't take it, he has a 3 years left yet. He has done one foundation past paper unit 2 just a few weeks ago and scrapped a C grade, he was so proud of himself. Hes doing well at Maths I spend around 2 hours a week doing maths with him plus he does what he does at school.
I hope I get an A* and it encourages him to get the top grade too.
Looks like my son will have to take the new harder graded 1-9 GCSE. Currently a C is seen as the lowest good grade, when my lad takes the exam it will be raised to more like a C+
Reply 67
yep does look to get tougher, hopefully we can swing a C now so he doesn't have to take the harder one later..! :tongue:
sounds like your son will do well, the grade doesnt really matter, unless you need maths qualification career wise... Some people just arent good at exams, it doesnt mean they arent bright or wont succeed in life!
take care :smile:

My son didn't take it, he has a 3 years left yet. He has done one foundation past paper unit 2 just a few weeks ago and scrapped a C grade, he was so proud of himself. Hes doing well at Maths I spend around 2 hours a week doing maths with him plus he does what he does at school.
I hope I get an A* and it encourages him to get the top grade too.
Looks like my son will have to take the new harder graded 1-9 GCSE. Currently a C is seen as the lowest good grade, when my lad takes the exam it will be raised to more like a C+
<<Edit>>
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
hi is it possible to PM? if not whats your email?
Might the official question papers leaked by teachers end up on TSR, before genral release?
Id like to go through the questions again
Original post by nemski
hi is it possible to PM? if not whats your email?

<<EDIT>>
Personal info removed
(edited 7 years ago)
A* Grade boundaries much lower for Units 2 and 3 this year, unit 1 inline with previous years...

Unit 3
A* 61/80

Unit 2
A* 48/66

Unit 1
A* 47/54
Reply 72
Hi that is good news :smile:
How dinger grade you if you get BBC or BCC?

A* Grade boundaries much lower for Units 2 and 3 this year, unit 1 inline with previous years...

Unit 3
A* 61/80

Unit 2
A* 48/66

Unit 1
A* 47/54
Original post by nemski
Hi that is good news :smile:
How dinger grade you if you get BBC or BCC?

Apparently it's the total out of 200 that matters, so you need 156/200 over the 3 exams for the A*

It does make you wonder why they split it into 3, I guess so you could just retake your weakest unit, before that kind of thing got stopped as it was dumbing down the exam.
Also I guess it make it easier to see your strengths and weaknesses.

I believed I've got about 174/200, I think I dropped around 10 points in unit 1, 6 points in Unit 2 and 10 points in Unit 3. Unit 1 has always been my weakest.
So I am confident I have achieved the A* I was aiming for, I will know for sure tomorrow.

Good luck
Here are the grade boundries in full...http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GRADE-BDYS-JUNE-2016.PDF

The foundation paper has lower boundries for the C grade than previous years too
Reply 75
so if you reach boundaries b b c, do you only get a c?
Reply 76
oh ok I think they add up the UMS totals for each paper and then get the % out of 200 for the final grade... The 2nd foundation paper ums is much higher must be due to the mistake they made in an early question that would have thrown many students off ! :smile:
Got my results through, I got the A* I was expecting so I'm happy :smile:

Hope you all did well.

20160825_100719.jpg
Reply 78
Congratulations we have to wait til tomorrow :!
Original post by nemski
Congratulations we have to wait til tomorrow :!

That must be frustrating, best of luck, Im really interested how you both did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending