The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anna.Karenina
I'll definitely look into that, thank you!

What level are you hoping to teach?

It's no problem! I've tried emailing and calling some schools, but no one is answering because it's the holidays so I wouldn't worry too much about getting school experience just yet (at least that's what I'm telling myself!) :s-smilie:

I'm hoping to do a secondary PGCE, but then teach in a further education college/Sixth Form. What about you?
Original post by Firefly13
It's no problem! I've tried emailing and calling some schools, but no one is answering because it's the holidays so I wouldn't worry too much about getting school experience just yet (at least that's what I'm telling myself!) :s-smilie:

I'm hoping to do a secondary PGCE, but then teach in a further education college/Sixth Form. What about you?

Secondary :-) I was looking at Post-Compulsory, but none of them state they lead to QTS...I've heard you can apply for it independently but I've got no idea how! :s-smilie:

I've got no classroom experience, just working with young adults :frown:
I'm hoping to apply for Biology somewhere in London or the south east (Canterbury or Kings College are my favourites at the moment) :h:.

I'm having trouble getting school experience though because all my local schools are saying no or not replying to me. Do any of you have any advice? I've only just started thinking about teaching so the only previous experience I have is working at an infants school for a week while I was in school, helping at my universities open days and helping on A Level results day last week. Canterbury says they want a week of experience in a secondary school before they'll look at your application and then they want another week before you start so I really need to find something! :s-smilie:

Looking for school experience is a nightmare! Currently have about 4 days, but ideally want a week more. Its so hard to arrange if you don't have links to the school I've found...
Secondary :-) I was looking at Post-Compulsory, but none of them state they lead to QTS...I've heard you can apply for it independently but I've got no idea how! :s-smilie:

I've got no classroom experience, just working with young adults :frown:

I hope your enjoy the PGCE, even if it's not your first choice! I think to do it independently you just have to ask all the schools you can find and hope one of them will take you. I would have thought it would have been good having an extra pair of hands in the classroom, but I've heard it's pretty hard to get experience.

At least you have experience working with young adults - that's a start! What have you done, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by girlygiggle
Looking for school experience is a nightmare! Currently have about 4 days, but ideally want a week more. Its so hard to arrange if you don't have links to the school I've found...

Is it bad I'm jealous of your four days? :colondollar: If you don't mind me asking, how did you get those four days?
Most of the things I've read have suggested going back to your old school, but I live on the other side of the country now so I'm just hoping somewhere will take me! I really want to apply to Canterbury, but their website made it sound like they won't consider you unless you have a week of experience already and they want two weeks before you start the course :s-smilie:
It's so disheartening that PGCE programmes want so much experience - what if you've only just decided this is what you want to do? :frown: I have a 6 month old so can't really be doing heaps of work experience -- do you think I should include this on my application?
It's so disheartening that PGCE programmes want so much experience - what if you've only just decided this is what you want to do? :frown: I have a 6 month old so can't really be doing heaps of work experience -- do you think I should include this on my application?

It could be a good idea to include it, but don't make it sound like an excuse and try to turn it into a positive. Maybe something like 'On top of caring for my six month old child I was able to get a day of experience at X, which taught me ...'. Or something like that that sounds more professional! That way you're making them aware it's harder for you to get work experience, but showing you are really committed because you made time to fit it in and everyone knows caring for young children is a lot of work!

A few places I have looked at will ask for a week of work experience before you start, but it doesn't have to be before your interview. Maybe try to do a day or two before you apply and then do the others whenever you have time afterwards when you can get someone to care for your child?
It could be a good idea to include it, but don't make it sound like an excuse and try to turn it into a positive. Maybe something like 'On top of caring for my six month old child I was able to get a day of experience at X, which taught me ...'. Or something like that that sounds more professional! That way you're making them aware it's harder for you to get work experience, but showing you are really committed because you made time to fit it in and everyone knows caring for young children is a lot of work!

A few places I have looked at will ask for a week of work experience before you start, but it doesn't have to be before your interview. Maybe try to do a day or two before you apply and then do the others whenever you have time afterwards when you can get someone to care for your child?

Thank you -- that's so, so helpful :smile: :smile:

I have a week of work experience in a sixth form, just not in a secondary school :/

I have a week of work experience in a sixth form, just not in a secondary school :/

That's a lot more than I have! I'm pretty sure that would be enough to at least get you an interview and if they want it in a secondary school they'll let you know and you can do it before you start :smile:
Is it bad I'm jealous of your four days? :colondollar: If you don't mind me asking, how did you get those four days?
Most of the things I've read have suggested going back to your old school, but I live on the other side of the country now so I'm just hoping somewhere will take me! I really want to apply to Canterbury, but their website made it sound like they won't consider you unless you have a week of experience already and they want two weeks before you start the course :s-smilie:

Those 4 days were part of a module I did in my second year at uni (year just gone) which was about the theory behind teaching and so we had to do a weeks classroom experience (although mine was 4 days as it was before Christmas), so sadly I can't help you in any advice in finding experience as it was all organised for me! (I really wish I'd taken the longer module which would have given me 10 days in a school) and the universities I hope to apply to all want 5-10 days of experience :frown:

I'm just hoping that if I chase schools in September, I'll be able to get the additional experience I need - I have lots of primary experience, just not enough secondary.

There is the School Experience Programme, so I may look into that but I'm not sure it covers my subject, but it may cover yours :smile:

Can't a sixth form count as a secondary school? As I'm assuming the course you're hoping to apply for is 11-18. What subject btw?
Those 4 days were part of a module I did in my second year at uni (year just gone) which was about the theory behind teaching and so we had to do a weeks classroom experience (although mine was 4 days as it was before Christmas), so sadly I can't help you in any advice in finding experience as it was all organised for me! (I really wish I'd taken the longer module which would have given me 10 days in a school) and the universities I hope to apply to all want 5-10 days of experience :frown:

I'm just hoping that if I chase schools in September, I'll be able to get the additional experience I need - I have lots of primary experience, just not enough secondary.

There is the School Experience Programme, so I may look into that but I'm not sure it covers my subject, but it may cover yours :smile:

Ah, thanks for letting me know even though I couldn't steal your way for myself! I'm sure you'll be able to get the extra days you need. You have a great start already :biggrin:

Where did you want to apply? What do you want to apply for?
Ah, thanks for letting me know even though I couldn't steal your way for myself! I'm sure you'll be able to get the extra days you need. You have a great start already :biggrin:

Where did you want to apply? What do you want to apply for?

Currently Sussex, Oxford and Cambridge and Secondary Geography :smile: Yourself?
Currently Sussex, Oxford and Cambridge and Secondary Geography :smile: Yourself?

Good luck!
I'm hoping to apply to KCL, Canterbury and Kent & Medway Teacher Training for Secondary Biology :smile:
Phew! Just managed to get five days at a local secondary school! Relieved is an understatement! :biggrin:
Can't a sixth form count as a secondary school? As I'm assuming the course you're hoping to apply for is 11-18. What subject btw?

I should probably email and ask, but I assume they would have just put 'classroom experience' if it didn't need to be specifically secondary. We shall see :tongue:

English! What about you? :smile:
That's a lot more than I have! I'm pretty sure that would be enough to at least get you an interview and if they want it in a secondary school they'll let you know and you can do it before you start :smile:

Or just be super super friendly with admissions staff :tongue:
Good luck!
I'm hoping to apply to KCL, Canterbury and Kent & Medway Teacher Training for Secondary Biology :smile:

Thanks! Hope the application process goes well for you too!
I should probably email and ask, but I assume they would have just put 'classroom experience' if it didn't need to be specifically secondary. We shall see :tongue:

English! What about you? :smile:

Geography :smile:
Or just be super super friendly with admissions staff :tongue:

Haha, I like that plan. I'll just happen to be carrying around some freshly baked cookies when I go in :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending