The Student Room Group

French police force woman to take off clothes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelstresss
How is wearing your own cultural clothing in ANY WAY disrespecting French laws

If they're banning your cultural clothing and you're wearing your cultural clothing then you are thus disrespecting the laws by breaking them.
Original post by yupitsme
This is clearly discrimination why isn't a nuns outfit banned of a Sikhs turban, shame on you for spreading hate, how is a woman wearing a burkini affecting anyone!

- "Mommy, why is that woman wearing that creepy outfit"
- "Well sweetie, because she follows an ideology that taught her a woman has no worth and must hide so that men don't feel compelled to rape her".
- ":cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:"
Original post by inhuman
And this ladies and gents is exactly why humans are morons.

This ban is not "we don't want to see more skin on women". This ban is about banning the symbol of oppression that it represents. The symbol of fundamentalist Islam as many perceive it to be, and in light of recent events one that upsets some French.

I have seen so many people on social media cry about how "look they tell women to cover up and they want less clothes". That has nothing to do with the issue and shows people are just led by their emotions.

She's wearing it because she doesn't want other men perving on her figure, skin or hair...whats wrong with that?
Original post by Charzhino
She's wearing it because she doesn't want other men perving on her figure, skin or hair...whats wrong with that?

That is a whole different debate.

The debate here is not about "we want to see more skin on women" but "we think this is a symbol that deserves banning and so we did ban it".

And well to answer your question though, I would reply with exactly the same post I just wrote above*. Because in that hyperbolic example, all the relevant issues are raised. But let me just ask you this. Is it a coincidence that in Muslim cultures women are scared of pervy men proportionately much more than women in western cultures?

*Edits sry i thought you quoted that one for a moment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Charzhino

Why are you assuming men are going to perv on her? I'm pretty sure guys have self control in France.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm pretty sure guys have self control in France.

I'm pretty sure French guys perv, the women certainly like to crotch watch.
Original post by dingleberry jam
I'm pretty sure French guys perv, the women certainly like to crotch watch.

You're stating an opinion of yours. You sure all French guys perv?
You're stating an opinion of yours.

Yep.

You sure all French guys perv?

No, no doubt some are blind.
Why are you assuming men are going to perv on her? I'm pretty sure guys have self control in France.

Because that's in a man's nature. If a woman wants to hide her percieved beauty for whatever reason then she should be allowed to. And you're talking about self-control as if the topic is rape - which it isn't.
Demonstration against burkini ban outside French embassy in London
Reply 130
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Demonstration against burkini ban outside French embassy in London

I see 9 people.

Meanwhile, an official poll (IFOP/Figaro), has just been released. 64% of the French are against the burkini on the beach, 30% are indifferent, 6% agree with it (margin of error of 3%).

It's interesting to see that the burkini is rejected by people from every political background:
Far left: 62% against, 33% indifferent, 5% agree
Left: 52% against, 41% indifferent, 7% agree
Right: 76% against, 21% indifferent, 3% agree
Far right: 86% against, 10% indifferent, 4% agree

http://www.ifop.com/media/poll/3460-1-study_file.pdf

:u: :u: :u:
Original post by Josb
I see 9 people.

Meanwhile, an official poll (IFOP/Figaro), has just been released. 64% of the French are against the burkini on the beach, 30% are indifferent, 6% agree with it (margin of error of 3%).

It's interesting to see that the burkini is rejected by people from every political background:
Far left: 62% against, 33% indifferent, 5% agree
Left: 52% against, 41% indifferent, 7% agree
Right: 76% against, 21% indifferent, 3% agree
Far right: 86% against, 10% indifferent, 4% agree

http://www.ifop.com/media/poll/3460-1-study_file.pdf

:u: :u: :u:

Good to know :yy:
Original post by lawyer3c
Unlimited expression of one's religious beliefs could lead to FGM etc, which is what I had in mind.

FGM causes objective harm and should be outlawed on that basis.

Tbh if the adhan was allowed that would just cause more anger and hatred and those worst affected would be muslims themselves so I'm not sure that's a good idea even from a muslim pov.

This is stupid, no religious group should be forced to suppress a harmless part of their worship to prevent themselves becoming victims.

that distinction has no logical basis and isn't upheld in our laws :tongue:

It has logical basis and would be very easy to determine, British jurisprudence doesn't make the distinction, but they do to a much greater extent stateside certainly.
Reply 133
Original post by RivalPlayer
I just don't see how pulling up random Muslim women at the beach will make France any safer. How will making Muslim women wear revealing swimwear aid the fight against terrorism?

It's not about making it safer, despite what the mayors said - they used this argument because they are allowed to take pretty much any decision in the name of public safety. It's about stopping the visual conquest of radical Islam.

Original post by RivalPlayer

I agree, but France never bothered to address the integration problems among Muslim communities. Instead the population was allowed to grow to the point where it now has one of largest Muslim populations in Europe. I'm sure that the people in power at various points in history must have noticed things were not working among Muslim communities. Seems like they turned a blind eye.

Political correctness has been very strong in France, but remember the situation here will happen in the UK in a decade.
Original post by Josb
It's not about making it safer, despite what the mayors said - they used this argument because they are allowed to take pretty much any decision in the name of public safety.

That doesn't worry you?
Original post by Mathemagicien
France is aggressively secular, and has been for a long time. With Islamic terrorism, they are understandably becoming more aggressive in doubling down on Islamic influences that clash with Western values.

Trying to promote French values and stop Muslims becoming extremists by oppressing them. Nice.
[QUOTE=Josb;67228730]It's not about making it safer, despite what the mayors said - they used this argument because they are allowed to take pretty much any decision in the name of public safety. It's about stopping the visual conquest of radical Islam.

Political correctness has been very strong in France, but remember the situation here will happen in the UK in a decade.

So called "safety" has a lot to answer for. It gives the pedantics a lot of power to dream up and enforce ridiculous rules and policies. Such rules are often bad for actual safety as they encourage bad attitude. If in the name of safety you are required to wear a hi-vis just to cross the road, then you will not take safety seriously. Essentially its a ban on common sense.

With that being said, I do understand why they are oppressive against muslims. I would want to get rid of anything or anyone associated with terrorists.
Far-right fascists want Europe to stay European = racism, hatred

Anti-fascists are supportive of genocide = anti-racism
Far-right fascists want Europe to stay European = racism, hatred, etc

Anti-fascists are supportive of destroying our population = the complete opposite

If more White people understand what is befalling your population , then we can fight them.

The reason they promote these ideas of white guilt/privilege is simply dehumanisation by making you hate yourselves and make genocide seen a positive thing.

It is what it is.
Reply 139
It's their country and culture let them ban what they want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending