The Student Room Group

Is physics A level actually that hard?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
lol @ maths and further maths being hard. They're so easy that top universities need other tests to differentiate candidates for maths degrees.

Not easy for most.
Original post by Palette
I think I'd enjoy A Level physics with more mathematics; this is an A Level textbook from 1970 which has lots of calculus:

https://archive.org/details/AdvancedLevelPhysics
It makes the concepts more intuitive and less spoon-fed.

Omg I wish this was the case. I would have chosen to complete the full A Level :sad:
Reply 42
Original post by SubZero~
Not easy for most.

Don't think they mean easy in that sense. It's easier to get an A*/A in maths than say chemistry. But a B/C grade is equally as difficult in both subjects.

Its hard to understand this unless you've done the subjects.
Yes it is but if you're as good as you say, you'll be fine and space is in A2:smile:
Original post by Palette
I think I'd enjoy A Level physics with more mathematics; this is an A Level textbook from 1970 which has lots of calculus:

https://archive.org/details/AdvancedLevelPhysics
It makes the concepts more intuitive and less spoon-fed.

It doesn't look so bad, and I happy you even know that website existed lol. but I have to disagree and say I prefer it with less maths, though I do like applying it but I would be better off in physics now that in the 1970s
Original post by Zacken
It's just really annoying to see people being put off Further Maths because others make it out to be a tough elitist subject. It's such a useful subject and people should be encouraging others to take it, not to put it down because it's tough. My school wouldn't even offer it because of it's reputation of being hard, so I'm rather against it. Heck, it's the subject with the highest percentage of A*'s and A's by far.

Oh please. Top universities e.g Oxbridge have an admission test for many subjects; medicine, PPE, Maths, engineering (some colleges) etc. How you managed to correlate an admission test to further maths/maths being easy is beyond me.

Spoiler

Original post by randomteenx
I'm going to be choosing my a levels soon and im undecided on whether to do physics.I think I'm pretty good at physics, I'm one of the best in my class and got A* for my year 10 mocks and expected A* for my actual exams. It's just one of those subjects I find easy. But I also find it a bit boring, the only part I actually really love is when we study space etc. And that's the only thing that keeps me loving physics.So I don't know if I should take it for a level. I've heard people say it's super easy but others say it's one of the hardest a levels? I hate maths and although I'm okay at it, I don't know if I'm nearly good enough to do a level.
no it's not hard, as 60% is just rearranging and plugging numbers into formulas.
Reply 47
Original post by te.lope
It doesn't look so bad, and I happy you even know that website existed lol. but I have to disagree and say I prefer it with less maths, though I do like applying it but I would be better off in physics now that in the 1970s

Physics without maths is useless. If you are to become a physicist, you MUST know maths, and delaying the introduction is wasteful. If you are not to become a physicist, then frankly I don't see a rational reason for someone to take physics A-level.

That textbook contains more knowledge than your average physics graduate, I can guarantee you that right now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mik1a
Physics without maths is useless. If you are to become a physicist, you MUST know maths, and delaying the introduction is wasteful. If you are not to become a physicist, then frankly I don't see a rational reason for someone to take physics A-level.

That textbook contains more knowledge than your average physics graduate, I can guarantee you that right now.

Is this an exaggeration or has the quality of physics education at university level plummeted too over the last 40 years (if so, why)?
I was wondering how hard would it be to do AS Physics (and some supplementary modules based on own interest) in Y13 by self-study if I will be doing it in conjunction with Mechanics 3 (OCR, MEI)? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mik1a

I concur. At uni it's heavily mathematical. Not enough mathematical content in AS physics!
Original post by Shazen
Yeah I kept on hearing that people found Chemistry harder than Physics.

To be honest, Chemistry isn't hard as long as you put the work in and enjoy it. Theres a lot of trends/graphs/definitions you need to remember, and a lot for organic chemistry but once you know your stuff it becomes easier. The only tricky part, if not relatively ok, is the maths. I currently take Maths so it isn't too bad but things like Titration, Arrhenius equations can be difficult to grasp, but again once you know how to do it, its easy.
difficulty is subjective , all can agree its a pain in the a** though.
Reply 53
Lol just wait till you get to A2 and have to memories essays on a nuclear reactor, Astrophysics( pure pain full of reading and memorising) and other tedious points in fields and thermal.I would say the hardest part is putting down what the mark scheme wants you to say as they only mark if you use specific words. Literally could use a word that means the exact same thing or describe the meaning of the word and not get a mark.
Original post by randomteenx
I'm going to be choosing my a levels soon and im undecided on whether to do physics.

I think I'm pretty good at physics, I'm one of the best in my class and got A* for my year 10 mocks and expected A* for my actual exams. It's just one of those subjects I find easy.

But I also find it a bit boring, the only part I actually really love is when we study space etc. And that's the only thing that keeps me loving physics.

So I don't know if I should take it for a level. I've heard people say it's super easy but others say it's one of the hardest a levels?

I hate maths and although I'm okay at it, I don't know if I'm nearly good enough to do a level.

Yes it is as hard as it's commonly made out to be. Believe the Hype.
Original post by mik1a

Maybe, just maybe, some people find it interesting in it's own right? :tongue:
Original post by TSRPAV
Lol just wait till you get to A2 and have to memories essays on a nuclear reactor, Astrophysics( pure pain full of reading and memorising) and other tedious points in fields and thermal.I would say the hardest part is putting down what the mark scheme wants you to say as they only mark if you use specific words. Literally could use a word that means the exact same thing or describe the meaning of the word and not get a mark.

Amen on that
Original post by Zacken
lol @ maths and further maths being hard. They're so easy that top universities need other tests to differentiate candidates for maths degrees.

On what basis do you say they're easy? Let's remember that most people who take maths A level already have a much higher intelligence level than other students - it's further exacerbated in further maths. That's why they both manage to get a high rate of A/A* grades.

It's not because they're necessarily easier than other A levels, moreso that they have so many bright students taking them. The differentiating test, normally STEP or MAT or whatever, is employed because maths A level cannot stretch the brightest students of maths in the country. The admissions test serves its purpose, but you can't really argue that A level maths and further maths are easy. Of course, you could if you are good at maths (which I know you are, but so am I).
Original post by Zacken

Zacken, not everyone on this website has an IQ of over 9000 you know :tongue:

Most people find maths difficult myself included
Reply 59
I certainly found it harder than Maths and Further Maths and only scraped an a*. Then again, I didn't work that hard. I dunno if exam board has anything to do with it but it was hard to prepare for the exams, and the ones we had were very weird.

Quick Reply

Latest