The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary Uni London Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coolgamer
I have not recieved mine 🙁 ..wat course are u studying?

Biomedical Sciences
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by whyamianadult
Current QM student here! happy to answer any questions

HI I got into qmul to study biochemistry but I want to change my course to neuroscience. Am I allowed to change my course ? What do I have to do? I am writing an email to send the science department
Thanks
Original post by Deenahappy
HI I got into qmul to study biochemistry but I want to change my course to neuroscience. Am I allowed to change my course ? What do I have to do? I am writing an email to send the science department
Thanks

Go to portal
And you can send an email through portal and I believe they will go ahead with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Go to portal
And you can send an email through portal and I believe they will go ahead with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I just sent a general email to the science department
I asked the, whether if it is possible to change my course from biochem to neuroscience.
How is social life at Queen Marys?
What societies would you encourage go join?
What are you studying?

I'm so nervous about starting 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current QM student here! happy to answer any questions

I heard that there will be taster lectures during freshers week. Are they worth going or is there no point since you'll be properly starting your course the week later? :erm:

When do we get our Photo ID taken? Is it during Freshers week or?
I noticed some fresher fair stuff will be last even after the 1st week freshers is over. Is that true?

Original post by Oculuscuscus
About pre-enrolment yes

When did you receive your pre-enrollment email? All I received since
results day was a email receipt that I was accepted onto the course. :confused:

What did the email say if you don't mind sharing. :smile:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I heard that there will be taster lectures during freshers week. Are they worth going or is there no point since you'll be properly starting your course the week later? :erm:

I noticed some fresher fair stuff will be last even after the 1st week freshers is over. Is that true?

Wat course are u doing

It basically updated our portal page and we filled in basic information such as address, ticked terms and conditions, gave our student finance details, etc.
I think this was for people who went through clearing.
We then got to choose if we would like to fully enrol early or enrol during freshers week. I chose to enrol early so I will be going before uni actually starts.
So enrolling at queen Mary early just allows you to take your student ID early, and gives you access to the library so you can start taking books out.
Some people may not have received the email as some department may want you to do this on the first day depending on your course, I'm not too sure.

EDIT: I also received my library barcode and pin, does this mean we can start reserving books?
Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone starting material science and engineering here?
Original post by Bloom77
It basically updated our portal page and we filled in basic information such as address, ticked terms and conditions, gave our student finance details, etc.
I think this was for people who went through clearing.
We then got to choose if we would like to fully enrol early or enrol during freshers week. I chose to enrol early so I will be going before uni actually starts.
So enrolling at queen Mary early just allows you to take your student ID early, and gives you access to the library so you can start taking books out.
Some people may not have received the email as some department may want you to do this on the first day depending on your course, I'm not too sure.

EDIT: I also received my library barcode and pin, does this mean we can start reserving books?
Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went through clearing to get a space. So on that basis should I log into mysis and see if there's any early enrollment options etc?

Also, do most people figure out where there lectures are going to be during freshers week or?

Original post by coolgamer
Wat course are u doing

Physics. Wbu? :smile:
Thanks

I'm not in the science department, but if its like the rest of QMUL, yes you're allowed to change your course. Generally you enrol on that course, and then once your here at QM you go and see your adviser (they give one to you) and they give you a change of course form. You fill this out and give it to admin, they then change everything for you and you get your new timetable etc. This is how it normally works, I can't speak for your deparrment, but I wouldn't worry, a lot of people change course and it's normally a really easy process as long as you do it in the first month.

Original post by Feraligatr
How is social life at Queen Marys?What societies would you encourage go join?What are you studying?I'm so nervous about starting 😓Posted from TSR Mobile

Social life is great! It's definitely different to very campusey unis like Exeter or Warwick, because a lot of people go off campus for nightlife. But the social life is generally great, lots of varied things to do and people love going to explore London.

I would encourage joining at least one sports society, because not only do they practice together they tend to go to the Hail Mary nights at Drapers all the time and it's a great way to be in a close-knit community. Other societies that are non-sport, like debating, harry potter and drama are all very active too though! Also snowsports organise great trips.

I study politics! One more year left.

Don't be nervous :smile: I can actually assure you that you will have a great time and everyone is very friendly. As a new student you can sign up to have like a buddy who is older at the uni if that makes you feel more comfortable. That way you can go to them for advice etc. :smile:

I heard that there will be taster lectures during freshers week. Are they worth going or is there no point since you'll be properly starting your course the week later? When do we get our Photo ID taken? Is it during Freshers week or?I noticed some fresher fair stuff will be last even after the 1st week freshers is over. Is that true?

There are! They are pretty useless to be honest, it's more of an intro to what you're studying, the theme of the course etc. But at the same time, I met some of my really good friends in the audience of some of those beginning lectures so I'd probably go nonetheless unless you're super tired. But yes, you won't miss any important work.

You get your photo ID taken during enrolment. After you've enrolled and signed all your paperwork etc they take your photo and make your student ID. Warning: it takes forever. I can't remember if it was freshers week or not, I think so. Or just before.

Yes, the QM freshers is in the first weeks, but there continues to be more events going on all over london for the whole of the University of London. Most people tend to stop with the freshers stuff after 1/2 weeks because classes start etc. I did one week of freshers and that was enough for me! But by all means there are enough events to keep you occupied for a month! QM doesn't tend to go over one week though. :smile:
I went through clearing to get a space. So on that basis should I log into mysis and see if there's any early enrollment options etc?

Also, do most people figure out where there lectures are going to be during freshers week or?

Try and log into portal and see if it says: pre enrolment in big red letters (size 16 font)
If it doesn't, I suggest you call admissions and ask them

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not in the science department, but if its like the rest of QMUL, yes you're allowed to change your course. Generally you enrol on that course, and then once your here at QM you go and see your adviser (they give one to you) and they give you a change of course form. You fill this out and give it to admin, they then change everything for you and you get your new timetable etc. This is how it normally works, I can't speak for your deparrment, but I wouldn't worry, a lot of people change course and it's normally a really easy process as long as you do it in the first month.

How do we sign up for bursary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Social life is great! It's definitely different to very campusey unis like Exeter or Warwick, because a lot of people go off campus for nightlife. But the social life is generally great, lots of varied things to do and people love going to explore London.

I would encourage joining at least one sports society, because not only do they practice together they tend to go to the Hail Mary nights at Drapers all the time and it's a great way to be in a close-knit community. Other societies that are non-sport, like debating, harry potter and drama are all very active too though! Also snowsports organise great trips.

I study politics! One more year left.

Don't be nervous :smile: I can actually assure you that you will have a great time and everyone is very friendly. As a new student you can sign up to have like a buddy who is older at the uni if that makes you feel more comfortable. That way you can go to them for advice etc. :smile:

There are! They are pretty useless to be honest, it's more of an intro to what you're studying, the theme of the course etc. But at the same time, I met some of my really good friends in the audience of some of those beginning lectures so I'd probably go nonetheless unless you're super tired. But yes, you won't miss any important work.

You get your photo ID taken during enrolment. After you've enrolled and signed all your paperwork etc they take your photo and make your student ID. Warning: it takes forever. I can't remember if it was freshers week or not, I think so. Or just before.

Yes, the QM freshers is in the first weeks, but there continues to be more events going on all over london for the whole of the University of London. Most people tend to stop with the freshers stuff after 1/2 weeks because classes start etc. I did one week of freshers and that was enough for me! But by all means there are enough events to keep you occupied for a month! QM doesn't tend to go over one week though. :smile:

G

Hey to change my course will they be strict with requirements and the subject I did chemistry alevel and they want
At least bio and chemistry up to as level at grade c and with bio or chem up to a2

Im doing neuroscience
I got the enrollment email today
They are probably doing it in subject order or something ?
Do we have to buy the freshers pass or can we just buy tickets for selective events? The website only allows you to purchase the freshers pass! can someone redirect me to where you can buy tickets for selective events. Thanks! :smile:
[QUOTE="Bloom77;67209836"]

How do we sign up for bursary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in the financial bursaries? The info is here: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/feesandfunding/bursaries/ugfunding/86538.html. But as far as i'm aware they assess everybody for it without you actually applying, like back in July?
G

Hey to change my course will they be strict with requirements and the subject I did chemistry alevel and they want
At least bio and chemistry up to as level at grade c and with bio or chem up to a2

I can't tell you exactly. Normally if you want to switch you need the entry requirments. E.G. I had friends who tried to switch from politics to law, but couldn't because they didn't have the law entry grades.

But, if you're switching within department theres normally more leeway. Especially if you get to know the professors. If I was you I'd call up whoever the admissions person is directly and ask! :smile:
Reply 78
Anyone else still waiting for their enrolment email?
Hey
Congrats on Getting into QMUL. I'll also be studying biochemistry. 😀 I'll look forward to meeting you

Original post by Tanny97
Hey!
Is anyone going to be studying Biochemistry? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending