The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge?

I appreciate that this question is probably the most asked question on tsr, but please take my case individually and give me some advice. I'm not here to brag about my results, I just want a fair judgement from others who may know more than me. I'd really love too to Oxford to study physics. I got 7A*s 3As and a B plus an A in the FSMQ additional maths (highest grade possible is an A). Now I'd like to know whether these grades are below average, average or above average for firstly an Oxbridge applicant and secondly an Oxbridge physics applicant, and would the B hinder my application? Thanks a lot in advance

Scroll to see replies

On the Oxford physics website it says this: "There are no formal requirements for performance at GCSE; the majority of successful candidates have between 4 and 9 A* grades at GCSE, but it is not unusual for candidates to be accepted with fewer than 4 A* grades, or to be rejected with more than 9 A* grades."

Based on that I'd assume that your GSCE grades are about the same level as the average of successful candidates, which is great news! Obviously great GSCEs don't guarantee a place, but with those results you're one step closer. I'd assume that the B is ok if it isn't in a subject that's directly related to physics. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
They're fine. Slightly better than what I got for GCSEs.
Reply 3
Original post by StationToStation
On the Oxford physics website it says this: "There are no formal requirements for performance at GCSE; the majority of successful candidates have between 4 and 9 A* grades at GCSE, but it is not unusual for candidates to be accepted with fewer than 4 A* grades, or to be rejected with more than 9 A* grades."

Based on that I'd assume that your GSCE grades are about the same level as the average of successful candidates, which is great news! Obviously great GSCEs don't guarantee a place, but with those results you're one step closer. I'd assume that the B is ok if it isn't in a subject that's directly related to physics. Good luck :smile:

Alright thanks a lot for the help! Yeah the B was in english lit which isn't related so I hope it doesnt work against me. Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by alow
They're fine. Slightly better than what I got for GCSEs.

Cheers! Are you at Oxford by any chance?
Reply 5
Original post by kennethdcharles
Cheers! Are you at Oxford by any chance?

Nope. Cambridge.
Its probably fine, Oxford will base your application for physics almost entirely on the interview and especially the PHYSICS APTITUDE TEST.

I got 10 A*s and 1 A but got rejected because my PAT simply wasn't good enough
Original post by alow
Nope. Cambridge.

Which, of course, is better :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by alow
Nope. Cambridge.

Ahh fantastic! What course are you doing?
Reply 10
Ahh fantastic! What course are you doing?

Natural Sciences
Reply 11
Original post by alow
Nope. Cambridge.

Is it okay if i ask what you got at gcse and a levels??
Original post by alow
Nope. Cambridge.

Hey do you mind me asking what you got?:smile: I would love to go to Cambridge someday:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by alow
Natural Sciences

Yeah Im considering that too! Im just not sure if my application would be disadvantaged since I sm not doing chemisty next year. What were your A level subjects?
Reply 14
Original post by alevelstresss
Its probably fine, Oxford will base your application for physics almost entirely on the interview and especially the PHYSICS APTITUDE TEST.

I got 10 A*s and 1 A but got rejected because my PAT simply wasn't good enough

Ahh i see. How hard is the PAT may i ask? Thsnks for the help :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by rihana.c
Is it okay if i ask what you got at gcse and a levels??

Original post by sunshine774
Hey do you mind me asking what you got?:smile: I would love to go to Cambridge someday:smile:

GCSEs: 5 A*s, 2 As and a B.
A Level: A*A*A*AA

Yeah Im considering that too! Im just not sure if my application would be disadvantaged since I sm not doing chemisty next year. What were your A level subjects?

Doing chemistry isn't required. Maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and biology.
Ahh i see. How hard is the PAT may i ask? Thsnks for the help :smile:

the maths is pretty hard, probably some of the harder side of C3 and C4, and some elements to further maths modules, and C1/C2 knowledge

the physics part is generally easy, but some content you might not recognise
Reply 17
Original post by alow
GCSEs: 5 A*s, 2 As and a B.
A Level: A*A*A*AA

Doing chemistry isn't required. Maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and biology.

Those A levels!!👏👏👏

So I wouldnt be disadvantaged with naths further maths physics and economics?
Reply 18
Those A levels!!👏👏👏

So I wouldnt be disadvantaged with naths further maths physics and economics?

Those are fine A Levels. I'd say chemistry>economics, but the only 3 that really matter for physics are maths, further maths and physics.
Reply 19
Original post by alow
Those are fine A Levels. I'd say chemistry>economics, but the only 3 that really matter for physics are maths, further maths and physics.

Okay,thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending