The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RyanW97
Has anyone heard much from Trinity? I've had emails asking for my GCSE certificates and if family members have studied at the college but nothing about accommodation or the start of term yet!

You'll probably get a large envelope in the post maybe start of September, with "welcome to college" type letters, maybe some course info etc.

Accommodation-wise, you'll probably get an email from the accommodation office at the start of September telling you what you've been allocated. You might be able to see slightly sooner than this what your accommodation is if you get your raven account set up sooner, as there's a page on the mytrin intranet about accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
are there societies in cambridge that are not related to a certain activity (aka fraternity/sorority-ish)?
is there initiation and hazing and that kind of stuff?
Original post by Axiomara
are there societies in cambridge that are not related to a certain activity (aka fraternity/sorority-ish)?

......................trying to figure out whether you're asking seriously or just looking for a laugh.......

Must be some at St Johns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Amazing! GOOD LUCK for the CUBC trial.

And I think Christ's could do with some good rowers too :wink:

CUBC rowers don't row with their college. :wink:
They're completely separate from college rowing.

....and with the state of Christ's boats in last May Bumps, not sure one good rower (if @Duskstar join them, instead of CUBC), not sure if he can save them....................:tongue:
Original post by RyanW97
if family members have studied at the college

Why do they ask that? :eek:

Original post by vincrows

....and with the state of Christ's boats in last May Bumps, not sure one good rower (if @Duskstar join them, instead of CUBC), not sure if he can save them....................:tongue:

That sounds reassuring to me that I won't be a burden and drag them down too much if I do decide to row for the college lol
CUBC rowers don't row with their college. :wink:
They're completely separate from college rowing.

Our M1 was headship for michaelmas and lent and then just got bumped in easter, they were really gutted lmao.

And yeah blues don't row for their college.
Original post by C0balt

That sounds reassuring to me that I won't be a burden and drag them down too much if I do decide to row for the college lol

You can be a cox.
Have a feeling you'll be very good, esp. for men's boat.
Seriously. Really. :smile:

If you need to ask you won't be invited...

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can be a cox.
Have a feeling you'll be very good, esp. for men's boat.
Seriously. Really. :smile:

Lol what makes you say that? :lol:
I just read the roles of cox and doesn't sound like what I'd be good at :tongue:
Original post by Protoxylic
Our M1 was headship for michaelmas and lent and then just got bumped in easter, they were really gutted lmao.

And yeah blues don't row for their college.

Yes, I know! :smile:
We've been following Bumps every seasons (lent and may. Not michaelmath and Easter. :wink: )!even after our daughter's left. There's a convenient thing called Cam FM on digital, so been listening live or on podcast all the races (except very lowere boats) :biggrin:

My daughter's colllege's men will never be great in bumps as they're quite good with rugby & football, all the best sporty ones are taken by them......

This year's (I mean 2016) May bumps mens 1st division was totally unpredicted and exciting. Never seen so many bumps in the first div.
and caius is not the head any more!!!!!!(pity it's Maggie who beat them......)

Better luck for 2017.
One of the fun of Bumps is that you never know how each college perform each season because of big turnovers of rowers every year.
Yes, I know! :smile:
We've been following Bumps every seasons (lent and may. Not michaelmath and Easter. :wink: )!even after our daughter's left. There's a convenient thing called Cam FM on digital, so been listening live or on podcast all the races (except very lowere boats) :biggrin:

My daughter's colllege's men will never be great in bumps as they're quite good with rugby & football, all the best sporty ones are taken by them......

This year's (I mean 2016) May bumps mens 1st division was totally unpredicted and exciting. Never seen so many bumps in the first div.
and caius is not the head any more!!!!!!(pity it's Maggie who beat them......)

Better luck for 2017.
One of the fun of Bumps is that you never know how each college perform each season because of big turnovers of rowers every year.

It's actually really infuriating how we're not headship anymore lmao. This year's M1 had I think 3 freshers, so a really good year. And I think a couple of M1 are trying for the blue boat this year, so who knows how next year's 1st division is gonna turn out.

Pissing Maggie.
Original post by Claree
You'll probably get a large envelope in the post maybe start of September, with "welcome to college" type letters, maybe some course info etc.

Accommodation-wise, you'll probably get an email from the accommodation office at the start of September telling you what you've been allocated. You might be able to see slightly sooner than this what your accommodation is if you get your raven account set up sooner, as there's a page on the mytrin intranet about accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, thanks! I just thought that we would've been given some information closer to results day than September but I guess that's me being impatient!
Original post by C0balt
Lol what makes you say that? :lol:
I just read the roles of cox and doesn't sound like what I'd be good at :tongue:

How long do,you think I've been watching their rowing? :tongue:
And what I've been witnessing in this forum and our conversations over pm/email tell me you'll be a very good cox. You have the right attitude and personality. :smile:

.......just that you'll need to learn to ride a bike well enough to get to the boat house by 6:00 am at latest three/five times a week (depends on which boat) .....and cycle back to the town for 9 am lecture.......:tongue:
Original post by C0balt

I don't know but the email said it was something to do with placing you in the same tutorial side, whatever they mean by that?
And what I've been witnessing in this forum and our conversations over pm/email tell me you'll be a very good cox. You have the right attitude and personality. :smile:

.......just that you'll need to learn to ride a bike well enough to get to the boat house by 6:00 am at latest three/five times a week (depends on which boat) .....and cycle back to the town for 9 am lecture.......:tongue:

Coxes are really desired positions so they're quite competitive too. Shame people look at them and think they do nothing.

Yeah the 6am thing is what turned me off rowing, couldn't keep up with it and if you were out the night before, good luck.
It's actually really infuriating how we're not headship anymore lmao. This year's M1 had I think 3 freshers, so a really good year. And I think a couple of M1 are trying for the blue boat this year, so who knows how next year's 1st division is gonna turn out.

Pissing Maggie.

Pissing Maggie is the eternal theme of Cambridge. In all aspects of life. :tongue:

Pray to all the gods available so that those M1 boys fail in blue trial! :tongue:
Though you also think about how other colleges' boats will be like next year......or actually can't think about it as you will never know until the first race starts......

Edit:
Caius (the nearest college) has been complaing for years about the level of noise coming from Gardies in the middle of night. They were almost ordered to close once but managed to survive.
So if you ever use them, make sure you stay quiet, or they won't be there for a long time......

Bit of internal politics though, as Caius own the premises and lease it to Gardies!

Lol uh thanks I guess?
But yeah that would be a big problem with rowing for me, I'll see.. I want to get involved in some sport but idk which. Maybe climbing... Just cause I got the shoes :tongue: But team sport would be more fun at uni I'm thinking
Original post by RyanW97
I don't know but the email said it was something to do with placing you in the same tutorial side, whatever they mean by that?

That's funny :eek: no idea on that myself though lol
Coxes are really desired positions so they're quite competitive too. Shame people look at them and think they do nothing.

Yeah the 6am thing is what turned me off rowing, couldn't keep up with it and if you were out the night before, good luck.

Exactly!
Not so much for regatta (in relative term), but for bumps they are so so crucial.

Quick Reply