The Student Room Group

Any one else have disappointed parents?

Mum was expecting A's and A*s, came home with 6 A's and 6 B's :/
Could she do better???? If not then she has no reason to be disappointed. Anything above C's open up pretty much all the doors for you.
Original post by RDKGames
Could she do better???? If not then she has no reason to be disappointed. Anything above C's open up pretty much all the doors for you.

She wanted me to go to Oxbridge though :frown:
I know I can put in more effort at A level though and hopefully get into a Russell Group.
Original post by student_2902
I know I can put in more effort at A level though and hopefully get into a Russell Group.

A levels are what matter. Did she go to Oxvridge? is she being realistic.
Also dont go there unless its what you want.
Original post by 999tigger
A levels are what matter. Did she go to Oxvridge? is she being realistic.
Also dont go there unless its what you want.

No, my cousin did. But, we're all quite shocked because I've consistently got A's and A*'s in school but today everything's just been **** :frown:
No, my cousin did. But, we're all quite shocked because I've consistently got A's and A*'s in school but today everything's just been **** :frown:

A levels are what matter.

Your mum should be supporting you assuming you did your best.

You did very well. It doesnt rule you out.

The alternaive is to resit, but i dont think its worth it.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

Your mum isn't being very supportive by having that sort of reaction. Those grades are bloody brilliant and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You did exceptionally well, go you!

Re university, these grades really won't matter too much in the grand scheme of things and you'll still be perfectly able to go to Oxbridge if you succeed and achieve at A-Level. Don't be put down by people who may not understand the system and instantly assume you've failed. You haven't, you've done so brilliantly. Kick back and relax!

All the best of luck with everything,
Ethan
Original post by 999tigger
A levels are what matter.

Your mum should be supporting you assuming you did your best.

You did very well. It doesnt rule you out.

The alternaive is to resit, but i dont think its worth it.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts

Thanks and tbh I didn't try as hard as I could have, will put in more effort the next two years.
Original post by iEthan
Your mum isn't being very supportive by having that sort of reaction. Those grades are bloody brilliant and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You did exceptionally well, go you!

Re university, these grades really won't matter too much in the grand scheme of things and you'll still be perfectly able to go to Oxbridge if you succeed and achieve at A-Level. Don't be put down by people who may not understand the system and instantly assume you've failed. You haven't, you've done so brilliantly. Kick back and relax!

All the best of luck with everything,
Ethan

Thanks so much! I'm gonna try really really hard at A level and hopefully things will all turn out okay. It's just a bit disheartening when your mum is going on about how disappointed she is :/
Oh well, gonna work really hard come September :smile:
Thanks so much! I'm gonna try really really hard at A level and hopefully things will all turn out okay. It's just a bit disheartening when your mum is going on about how disappointed she is :/
Oh well, gonna work really hard come September :smile:

No need to thank me. It's such a shame she's acting like that. Don't tell her I've said this… but… don't take any notice of her. :wink: She's being silly.

Be proud! You did so so well!

You can still go to Oxbridge and/or another Russell Group. Seriously. You got 6 As. I mean it does depend on course but honestly, you don't need all A*s.

yep i banged out 3 gcses

I am in exactly the same situation a you :frown:
Well unlucky for me my mum had a bad experience w my dad and his side of family. And had kids kinda late. So my mum focused on us (two kids) and we failed a lot throughout the past 9 years. Now I’m in college and I got plagiarised more than 2 times. And all my grades have all been capped down to a pass. The only way I can get D/D* (if it’s even possible) is if I get constant distinctions in my second year of college. And my mum wanted us to go to Cambridge/ Oxford. I did as well, I sort life thinking that I can do anything/everything because nothing is impossible however i struggle so much and I have undiagnosed adhd. And I rll wanted to go to Oxford bc I wanted to prove it to myself that I can get somewhere good through hard work, and I was gonna do work experience and go to at least two/three internships before I’m 18 . And start a business and a channel, model and also a YouTube channel between 2020/2021/2022/2023. All my life ppl called me dumb and this was supposed to be my comeback but I was depressed and struggling and ugh I’m doing rll bad in applied science L3. And I’ve disappointed my mum idk what to do. I know I will keep going but now my mum wants to pay for someone to help us w assignments but I’m scared they will plagiarise me as well even more

Quick Reply