The Student Room Group

can i get into med school with these grades?

i have 5 A'S and 6b's at gcse and the B's include core science, further additonal science and addition science, french, history, statistic
i am predicted 2A* in chemistry and maths and A in biology
i am taking gap year and will do alot of work experience
can i get into med school in uk and if so which one's should i apply to according to my strengths
any medical school student advice will really help. thank you
Your results will be lower than the average applicant, meaning the other parts of your application will have to be good to make up for it. Focus on your A-levels, work experience and UKCAT and apply to uni's which place less weight on GCSE's
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
Your results will be lower than the average applicant, meaning the other parts of your application will have to be good to make up for it. Focus on your A-levels, work experience and UKCAT and apply to uni's which place less weight on GCSE's

are you sure i have a chance, my teachers say otherwise. they are discouraging me. and can you please let me know if you know any uk medical school that focus less on gcse
Reply 3
Original post by alisha4783
are you sure i have a chance, my teachers say otherwise. they are discouraging me. and can you please let me know if you know any uk medical school that focus less on gcse

It wont hurt to give it a try, no one can say for sure whether you got a chance (after all you might get lucky). I think you have to avoid Birmingham, not sure about some others.
Also are you applying this year, or waiting to apply after gap year? It would make sense for you to at least try apply this year too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Yammy
It wont hurt to give it a try, no one can say for sure whether you got a chance (after all you might get lucky). I think you have to avoid Birmingham, not sure about some others.
Also are you applying this year, or waiting to apply after gap year? It would make sense for you to at least try apply this year too.

i am applying this year to take a chance but will do again next year as well
by the way can you tell me some alternative to medicine. i dont like the idea of psychology or biomedical science or a nurse

also can any med student tell me their gcse grade or the lowest they have seen get into medical school in uk/scotland
and a list of uni that have low entry requirement for gcse in uk or scotland would be appreciated
(edited 7 years ago)

Firstly when it comes to medicine applications, ignore teachers. They are usually wrong or give incorrect/outdated advice. Secondly there are some uni's which only use GCSE's as minimum requirements and after that they hold little weight. Finally if you were to get straight As, a top UKCAT score and a solid personal statement then you wold have a good chance as long as you apply to the right uni's for you.
My advice is to get some work experience and voluntary work, focus on your A-levels and don't worry about medicine for now.
Reply 6
Firstly when it comes to medicine applications, ignore teachers. They are usually wrong or give incorrect/outdated advice. Secondly there are some uni's which only use GCSE's as minimum requirements and after that they hold little weight. Finally if you were to get straight As, a top UKCAT score and a solid personal statement then you wold have a good chance as long as you apply to the right uni's for you.
My advice is to get some work experience and voluntary work, focus on your A-levels and don't worry about medicine for now.

thanks for the advice but do you know any uni in england or scotland with low gcse requirements
Reply 7
i am applying this year to take a chance but will do again next year as well
by the way can you tell me some alternative to medicine. i dont like the idea of psychology or biomedical science or a nurse

also can any med student tell me their gcse grade or the lowest they have seen get into medical school in uk/scotland
and a list of uni that have low entry requirement for gcse in uk or scotland would be appreciated

What is your reason of trying to do medicine? If you don't like psycholoy/biomed then alternatives could be any humanities/STEM degree that you like/want - which can lead you to other graduate jobs.
thanks for the advice but do you know any uni in england or scotland with low gcse requirements

You'd have to go individually through each uni's admissions policy. I can telly you definitely to avoid Oxford, Cardiff, Bham, QUB and Edinburgh as you need many A*s for those.
Reply 9
You'd have to go individually through each uni's admissions policy. I can telly you definitely to avoid Oxford, Cardiff, Bham, QUB and Edinburgh as you need many A*s for those.

thank you i will keep in mind
Reply 10
Reply 11

it helped but it says edinburgh requires b for gcses at minimnum not a* but someone said edinburgh has A* REQUIREMENT FOR GCSE
Reply 12
it helped but it says edinburgh requires b for gcses at minimnum not a* but someone said edinburgh has A* REQUIREMENT FOR GCSE

The other person is right, those are just the minimum requirements. Check individual websites for statistics eg
Edinburgh says:
"The average A level applicant is offering 6A* at GCSE and the top one third (around 350) between 8 and 11 A*."
Reply 13
Original post by Yammy
The other person is right, those are just the minimum requirements. Check individual websites for statistics eg
Edinburgh says:
"The average A level applicant is offering 6A* at GCSE and the top one third (around 350) between 8 and 11 A*."

oh ok thanks
i have 5 A'S and 6b's at gcse and the B's include core science, further additonal science and addition science, french, history, statistic
i am predicted 2A* in chemistry and maths and A in biology
i am taking gap year and will do alot of work experience
can i get into med school in uk and if so which one's should i apply to according to my strengths
any medical school student advice will really help. thank you

How can you be predicted a* in chemistry when you didn't even get an a* at gcse?? Wtf 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Jaska
How can you be predicted a* in chemistry when you didn't even get an a* at gcse?? Wtf 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have improved in it and in chemistry gcse i had an A but since it was P1,B1,C1 together i got an avergae B as my physics grade was low
Reply 16

do you think glassgow is okay. i cant find their gcse requirement on the website but in student room it says b in english and maths and will applying as a deffered give me more chances than applying normally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending