The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
That's funny :eek: no idea on that myself though lol

Yeah, I thought it was a bit strange haha! Are you starting at Cambridge this year?
Original post by vincrows
Pissing Maggie is the eternal theme of Cambridge. In all aspects of life. :tongue:

Pray to all the gods available so that those M1 boys fail in blue trial! :tongue:
Though you also think about how other colleges' boats will be like next year......or actually can't think about it as you will never know until the first race starts......

Lol somehow we always get good rowers in, we've had headship a lot of times lately, at least the men have.

Yeah should be interesting
Original post by RyanW97
Yeah, I thought it was a bit strange haha! Are you starting at Cambridge this year?

Yeah, Christ's but we haven't had that family thing :lol:
Original post by threeportdrift
Bit of internal politics though, as Caius own the premises and lease it to Gardies!

I know....
But the prime position like that, I think,caius is quite confident they can get a new tenant very easily if Gardies is kicked out.
Exactly!
Not so much for regatta (in relative term), but for bumps they are so so crucial.

Yeah rowing and 9ams followed by a full day; it's just a disaster.

I agree.
Original post by threeportdrift
Bit of internal politics though, as Caius own the premises and lease it to Gardies!

Funny that, because they have pizzas named after Trinity and yet no food named after Caius hmm. Tbh can it even be called a privilege to have food at Gardie's named after your college.
Original post by Protoxylic
Yeah rowing and 9ams followed by a full day; it's just a disaster.

I agree.

How long did you try?
Rowed until Lent bumps? Most rowers usually get hooked once they experienced bumps.
Original post by C0balt
Yeah, Christ's but we haven't had that family thing :lol:

Well I haven't heard much from Trinity so I have no idea what's going on at the minute haha! What will you be studying?
Original post by RyanW97
I don't know but the email said it was something to do with placing you in the same tutorial side, whatever they mean by that?

There are a number of different tutors, who are each assigned a group of freshers. Each tutor has their own tutorial side i.e. each tutor and their tutees are labelled side A, B, C, D, E etc. You keep the same tutorial side letter throughout your time at Trinity, and the same tutor, as long as they don't leave/go on sabbatical.
Original post by RyanW97
Well I haven't heard much from Trinity so I have no idea what's going on at the minute haha! What will you be studying?

NatSci, you?
How long did you try?
Rowed until Lent bumps? Most rowers usually get hooked once they experienced bumps.

Nah didn't even try bumps, which I regret. I just couldn't keep up with getting up at 5-5:30 and I preferred going out over rowing the next day tbf. A friend of mine rowed up until lent bumps and she just couldn't keep up after that, she wanted to go out more, which is understandable.
Original post by Claree
There are a number of different tutors, who are each assigned a group of freshers. Each tutor has their own tutorial side i.e. each tutor and their tutees are labelled side A, B, C, D, E etc. You keep the same tutorial side letter throughout your time at Trinity, and the same tutor, as long as they don't leave/go on sabbatical.

Ah that makes sense, thanks! Although I haven't had a family member study at Cambridge before so it didn't really apply to me anyway haha
Original post by C0balt
NatSci, you?

Engineering! I wouldn't be able to handle those Saturday lectures :wink: At least, I don't think engineers have those...
Wait if you are a noob and you want to try out rowing do you have to start at 5 am. Or can you try it out a couple times at a humane hour.
Reply 475
Nah didn't even try bumps, which I regret. I just couldn't keep up with getting up at 5-5:30 and I preferred going out over rowing the next day tbf. A friend of mine rowed up until lent bumps and she just couldn't keep up after that, she wanted to go out more, which is understandable.

Just to ask, since you seem to have some rowing experience, what kind of skills are needed to be a good cox? The only thing I know about them is that they need to be small and light, which doesn't seem to be a skill per se :tongue: Do college coxes usually have previous experience with rowing as a sport?

Well, some of my daughter's friends were like that, not necessarily for going out, but just early mornings out them off and wanted to concentrate on their worlk, etc.
Several of them came back to row in the final year, for a memory of Cambridge, I guess. It was just for second or third boat (less practice) but they all really enjoyed it.
So maybe ???
Original post by eniet
Just to ask, since you seem to have some rowing experience, what kind of skills are needed to be a good cox? The only thing I know about them is that they need to be small and light, which doesn't seem to be a skill per se :tongue: Do college coxes usually have previous experience with rowing as a sport?

To race on rhe Cam, which is narrow and winding, the cox' skill of steering is crucial, especially in Bumps where 17 boats row at the same time per a division, chasing each other. :wink:
Beat boat race in the whole world. :biggrin:

Edit:
But even for a standard regatta (race on straight line), cox has a very important role; pacing the whole race, keeping the tempo, depending upon how his rowers are doing and how other boats are doing vs them.
My daughter said it's often the voice (cheering/instruction, etc) of cox that keep the rowers going when it gets really hard towards the end of race, both physically and mentally. They can't row without a cox.

No, large majority of coxes or rowers for college rowing never had experience before they come to Cambridge.
And the college rowing is much bigger than CUBC rowing (= represent university, like in Oxbridge boat race)
Nobody talks about Oxbridge boat race until just before/after the day of race.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RyanW97
Engineering! I wouldn't be able to handle those Saturday lectures :wink: At least, I don't think engineers have those...

I'm trying not to think about Saturday lectures and currently enjoying Saturday mornings in bed whilst it lasts 😀
Original post by eniet

Trust me, I'm not really the guy to ask. I went rowing for a term and a bit. For a cox I guess if you're just starting out, please be loud and also keep an eye on your rowers. Your rowers will generally give you feedback. Yeah coxes generally need to be light as they're at the front of the boat. Nope, if you're starting out on W3/M3, coxes tend to be new to the sport as are a few of the rowers starting out in the 3rd div. Rowers starting out on the 2nd/1st div are those who have quite a bit of experience.
Well, some of my daughter's friends were like that, not necessarily for going out, but just early mornings out them off and wanted to concentrate on their worlk, etc.
Several of them came back to row in the final year, for a memory of Cambridge, I guess. It was just for second or third boat (less practice) but they all really enjoyed it.
So maybe ???

Yeah that seems like a good idea, idk, I just hate being tired, I need to concentrate otherwise the day just goes to **** lol.

Quick Reply

Latest