The Student Room Group

Should I get a remark in English Language?

For Edexcel English Language I got a B, which is my only B (I got 2 A*s, 8 As, 1 B).

I thought the exam went alright, and I even got an A* in the mocks in March so I was a little surprised to see I got a B. I got 194 UMS I think, which is like 6 UMS off the A boundary, so I'm not sure if I should go for a remark because what if I go down to a C? :frown:

Breakdown of UMS in Eng Lang:
Unit 1 = 39 UMS
Unit 2 = 116 UMS (think I'm 4 off an A)
Unit 3A = 39 UMS (think I'm 1 off an A)

As English is so subjective, maybe there is more hope I'll go up?

Thanks in advance, and I hope results day went well for everyone!
Reply 1
You're right, it is really subjective so there is a very slight chance you'll go down a grade, but since you're so much closer to an A I'd take that risk and just get it remarked. It's worth a shot. But hey, even if it doesn't change at least a B isn't that bad, especially since the rest are all A's and A*s. Well done with that, by the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey -

A B is still incredible, and a job well done to you! :woo:

As you're so close to the boundary, it might be worth getting a remark. But then again, there is always the chance it may go down and you have to weigh up whether it's worth it for you. If you're confident, you might be best off getting a remark. Remember though, they're final - you cannot go back to your old grade if it's marked down. A B is still brilliant and at any rate, you should be proud of yourself.

All the best of luck with everything!
Ethan

Original post by romansholiday
For Edexcel English Language I got a B, which is my only B (I got 2 A*s, 8 As, 1 B).

I thought the exam went alright, and I even got an A* in the mocks in March so I was a little surprised to see I got a B. I got 194 UMS I think, which is like 6 UMS off the A boundary, so I'm not sure if I should go for a remark because what if I go down to a C? :frown:

Unit 1 = 39 UMS

Unit 1 = 39 UMS

It sounds like a re-mark would not be likely to reduce your grade but there have been some changes this year that mean that grades are less likely to change as a result of re-marks. See here for more detail.

Good luck with your decision - let us know what you decide to do.
Original post by The Learn Ranger
It sounds like a re-mark would not be likely to reduce your grade but there have been some changes this year that mean that grades are less likely to change as a result of re-marks. See here for more detail.

Good luck with your decision - let us know what you decide to do.

Original post by iEthan
Hey -

A B is still incredible, and a job well done to you! :woo:

As you're so close to the boundary, it might be worth getting a remark. But then again, there is always the chance it may go down and you have to weigh up whether it's worth it for you. If you're confident, you might be best off getting a remark. Remember though, they're final - you cannot go back to your old grade if it's marked down. A B is still brilliant and at any rate, you should be proud of yourself.

All the best of luck with everything!
Ethan

Original post by Mia549
You're right, it is really subjective so there is a very slight chance you'll go down a grade, but since you're so much closer to an A I'd take that risk and just get it remarked. It's worth a shot. But hey, even if it doesn't change at least a B isn't that bad, especially since the rest are all A's and A*s. Well done with that, by the way.

Will the B in Language hinder me in any way? I know it would be a problem if I was doing medicine, but I've decided not to do medicine anymore. I want to get into Russel Group/top unis.

Very tempted to get a remark because I doubt it would go down to a C grade and it's an important GCSE. Also, on my CV can I write out the individual grades or will I have to say 11 A*-B just because of that 1 B? :frown:
Will the B in Language hinder me in any way? I know it would be a problem if I was doing medicine, but I've decided not to do medicine anymore. I want to get into Russel Group/top unis.

Very tempted to get a remark because I doubt it would go down to a C grade and it's an important GCSE. Also, on my CV can I write out the individual grades or will I have to say 11 A*-B just because of that 1 B? :frown:

It wouldn't hinder you, most likely. You can write your grades however you like on your CV. B isn't a bad grade anyway, nothing to be ashamed of.
Reply 6

Barring Oxbridge, I don't think many universities really look at GCSE's. I'd just focus on your a levels. In my opinion they're a lot more important in terms of applying for uni, and since you're not going for Medicine it shouldn't matter too much.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest